Table of Contents
In the 2022-23 academic year, the US emerged as a leading destination for Indian students to study abroad, with an impressive 2,68,923 Indian students enrolling in its educational institutions. Moreover, This marked a significant 35% increase from previous years, highlighting the US’s growing popularity, as stated in the Open Doors Report (ODR) released recently.
India surpasses China in US graduate education
For the first time since the 2009-10 academic year, India has overtaken China as the largest source of international graduate students in the US.
Insights from the Open Doors report
Recently published report the ODR, which offers comprehensive data on international students in the US, reveals that 41% of Indian students in the US favor studies in math and computer science. Moreover, Texas, California, and New York emerge as their preferred states for educational pursuits.
Indians leading in Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Furthermore, Indian students, who are increasingly choosing the US as their destination for study abroad, notably lead in participation in the Optional Practical Training (OPT) program, which allows eligible students to gain practical experience in their field of study under the US student visa program.
Why Indian students choose the US
Additionally, there are several factors contribute to Indian students’ preference for studying in the US, including:
- Flexible Education System: The US’s decentralized education system lets students customize their courses with their preferred subjects.
- Top-Ranked Institutions: The US is home to globally renowned universities like MIT, Harvard, Stanford, and Yale. In fact, 16 of the world’s top 50 universities, according to the QS World University Rankings 2024, are in the US.
- Career Opportunities: The US offers a range of opportunities for skilled graduates and is home to 64.7% of global unicorn startups and almost 33% of multinational corporations.
Other Popular Study Destinations for Indian Students
Moreover, Apart from the US, other favored study destinations for Indian students are:
- United Kingdom: The UK government’s statistics show a significant increase in Indian students, with 1.4 lakh study visas granted in 2022.
- Canada: Indians make up 40% of Canada’s international student population, with 2.26 lakh Indian students out of 5.5 lakh in 2022.
- UAE: The UAE’s world-class universities, affordable living costs, and growing economy attract Indian students seeking quality education and professional opportunities.