Table of Contents
Davidson College | An overview
Davidson college is a private liberal arts college in Davidson, NC, that offers students 74 majors, minors, and the chance to design their interdisciplinary major. Students sign a strict honor code to avoid cheating, stealing, or lying about college business. 74% of graduates pursue research or an internship, while 78% of students graduate with study abroad experience. The college offers over 150 abroad programs in more than 50 countries. Through The Davidson Trust, the college can meet 100% of students’ calculated financial needs. Admissions are need-blind for domestic students and permanent U.S. residents. Davidson offers over 200 student organizations, 15 Greek life chapters, and 14 club sports. The Davidson Wildcats compete in 19 NCAA Division I sports.
- Admissions Princeton Review and U.S. News & World Report regard Davidson’s admission process as “most selective.”
- Davidson received 6,475 applications for the class of 2026 (enrolled in fall 2022) and accepted 1,096 (16.9%). 911 applied for early decision, and 345 were finally accepted.
- The yield rate was 49.5% (the percentage of accepted students enrolled).
- The middle 50% range of SAT scores for enrolled students was 670-740 for Evidence-Based Reading & Writing and 680-760 for Math, while the ACT Composite range was 31-33.
- Enrolled freshmen come from 43 states and 29 countries, with 33.5% hailing from the American South.
Davidson College has a highly selective admissions process and admits students based on their academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and potential to contribute to the college community. The college commits to providing financial aid to all admitted students who need it and meets 100% of demonstrated financial needs.
Rankings and Recognition
- U.S. News & World Report ranks Davidson College as the 13th best “National Liberal Arts College” in America, second in “Best Undergraduate Teaching,” and 18th in “Best Value” in its 2021 annual ranking.
- Davidson College is at 48th position on Forbes’ 2019 list of “America’s Top Colleges,” 17th best liberal arts college, and 8th in the South.
- In 2018, Kiplinger’s Personal Finance named Davidson College the best value among all colleges and universities in America.
The tuition at Davidson College is $57,150 for the 2022-23 academic year. Davidson College is more expensive than the national average tuition of $44,427.
These figures include tuition and fees, also known as the sticker price. Costs vary by institution and may cover library services, student gyms, student centers, technology resources, and campus health centers.
- Student fees are required (tuition, student activity fee). The student activity fee is $57,150, covering student publications, student government, and social and cultural activities.
- Room charges: Standard Double Room (other rooms available) $7,950.
- Meals, Unlimited Access Plan (other plans available) $7,800 (plus N.C. Board Tax).
- Total: $72,900
The fall semester billing includes an orientation fee for new students ($250 for first-year students and transfers). Additional charges may apply.
For the academic year 2023-24
- Student fees are required (tuition, student activity fee). The student activity fee is $60,050, covering student publications, student government, and social and cultural activities.
- Room Type: Standard Double Room (fees vary by room type) $8,200.
- Meals, Unlimited Access Plan (other plans available) $8,200 (plus N.C. Board Tax).
- Total: $76,450
Davidson College offers a wide range of majors and minors in the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and fine arts. It has a student-faculty ratio of 10:1 and an average class size of 15 students. The college is also known for its strong emphasis on undergraduate research and has several research programs available for students.
Davidson College’s 74 majors, minors, and interdisciplinary programs provide broad exposure to diverse thought and deep exploration within your fields of interest. Students can also create their major through the Center for Interdisciplinary Studies. In addition to the one major required for graduation, students may pursue a second, minor, or concentration.
|Africana Studies||Global Literary Theory|
|Arab Studies||Humanities Program|
|Chemistry||Latin American Studies|
|Classical Languages and Literature||Middle East Studies|
|Classical Studies||Military Science (ROTC)|
|Data Science||Physical Education|
|Digital Studies, Digital & Screen Media||Political Science|
|East Asian Studies||Pre-veterinary Medicine|
|Educational Studies||Premedicine and Allied Health Professions|
|Environmental Studies||Public Health|
|Film & Media Studies||Religious Studies|
|French & Francophone Studies||Russian Studies|
|Gender & Sexuality Studies||Self-Instructional Languages|
|German Studies||South Asian Studies|
In addition to its academic programs, Davidson College has several extracurricular activities available for students, including more than 200 student-run organizations and a robust athletics program. The college is a member of the NCAA Division I and the Atlantic 10 Conference.
Davidson College announced in 2007 that grants and student employment would meet all students’ demonstrated financial needs; loans would no longer be part of any Davidson package of financial assistance. The Duke Endowment helped contribute $15 million to the initiative, dubbed The Davidson Trust.
Davidson’s 2014 capital campaign added 156 new scholarships funded with $88 million and did not include loans in their financial aid packages.
According to Davidson, they are committed to meeting 100% of all students demonstrated needs, with 44% receiving need-based aid and more than 50% receiving some form of financial assistance.
- Davidson College is a private liberal arts college in Davidson, North Carolina, that offers students 74 majors and minors and the chance to develop their interdisciplinary major.
- For the 2022-23 academic year, tuition at Davidson College is $57,150.
- Davidson College accepted 1,096 (16.9%) of the 6,475 applications received for the class of 2026 (enrollment in fall 2022).
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your perspectives about the blog in the comments below. Please get in touch with us by clicking here for more information. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Your A to Z guide to the Furtwangen University
Q1. Is it difficult to get into Davidson College?
Ans. With an acceptance rate of 16.9%, Davidson College admissions are the most selective in the country. Half of the Davidson College applicants have an SAT score between 1330 and 1490 or an ACT score between 30 and 33.
Q2. Davidson College is what tier?
Ans. Davidson College currently ranks National Liberal Arts Colleges in the Best Colleges 2022-2023 edition.
Q3. How large is the Davidson campus?
Ans. It has 1,973 undergraduate students (fall 2021), a suburban setting, and a campus size of 665 acres.