Table of Contents
- What’s unique about George Brown?
- Why opt for George Brown College?
- Application Cycle 2023-2024
- Eligibility criteria for George Brown
- English language proficiency test
- How to apply?
- Canada student visa
- Key takeaways
What’s unique about George Brown?
It prioritizes real-world learning and offers students opportunities to collaborate with industry professionals in applied research and field education. The university’s industry partnerships ensure that students are aware of the most recent trends and technology in the field. They’ve used their location to give students an advantage in the job market. George Brown collaborates with companies and organizations contributing to students’ academic lives by advising course curricula and providing field education and employment. These companies nurture students to meet industry needs and gain skills highly sought after in today’s job market by assisting in developing curricula. Let’s find out about George Brown College admission requirements.
Why opt for George Brown College?
If you are someone looking for quality education and work, George Brown is your go-to college. Here’s why-
Study in downtown Toronto
The location puts you close to top employers offering field education opportunities. You can explore many options.
Hands-on, real-world experience
Their facilities, such as The Chefs’ House and WAVE Clinics, are designed to simulate real-world work environments. All career-focused programs include at least one opportunity for experiential learning.
Informed by industry
They collaborate with industry leaders to ensure that the skills you learn in class are transferable to the workplace.
Many faculty members have industry experience and will share it with you. You can learn from experts and get a notch above others.
Get hands-on experience developing and testing new products alongside industry professionals at George Brown College.
Do you want to start your own company? The university’s entrepreneurship hub, startGBC, can assist you in getting your great idea off the ground. Start with great plans and turn them into reality.
Application Cycle 2023-2024
|Program intake||September 2023 start||Jan 2024 start||May 2024 start|
|Intake open for submission of applications and Offer issuance begins||December 5, 2022||April 3, 2023||August 8, 2023|
|First day of classes||September 5, 2023||January 8, 2024||May 6, 2024|
Note- Conditional admission applications through English for Academic Purposes (EAP) will be processed throughout the year following the EAP start dates.
Eligibility criteria for George Brown
- Have completed senior secondary school or its equivalent (those applying for a postgraduate program must have graduated from a university or college).
- At the time of registration, you must be 18 years old or older.
- All streams require a minimum of 60% aggregate in grades 10 and 12.
- In grades 10 and 12, a minimum of 50% aggregate in English is necessary.
- Applicants to the Information Technology, Construction, and Engineering programs must have a cumulative grade point average of 50% in mathematics in grades 10 and 12.
- All other programs require applicants to complete grade 12 English and Mathematics (50% in grade 10 Mathematics for students who did not take the subject in grade 12).
- Some limited programs may require a minimum aggregate in grade 12 Science, Mathematics, and English.
- Pay the application fee, which is non-refundable.
- Provide proof of English proficiency if English is not your first language.
- Please attach all documents required to support your application, but do not send any extraneous documents. Most countries require that copies of originals be attested as ‘true copies’ by the educational institution or a notary.
- Applicants under the age of 18 must also submit custodial documents.
English language proficiency test
|George Brown English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program||Level 8||Level 9||Level 9|
|IELTS (Academic)||6.0, minimum 5.5 in every skill band||6.5, minimum 6.0 in every skill band||6.5, minimum 6.0 in each skill band|
|TOEFL||80 (online) minimum 20 in every skill band||88 (online) minimum 22 in every skill band||84 (online) minimum 21 in every skill band|
|Duolingo English Test||105||125||115|
|PTE (Academic)||54, overall minimum50 in each skill band||60, overall minimum55 in each skill band||60, overall minimum55 in each skill band|
|CAEL||60 (overall)||70 overall (writing 60)||70 overall (writing 60)|
|Cambridge English Exams (B2 First, C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency)||169 or higher (with no individual skill below 162)||176 or higher (with no individual skill below 169)||176 or higher (with no individual skill below 169)|
How to apply?
You can apply to the university by following the below steps-
Select a program of interest and check its availability. If an intake session is not available, try applying for a different one.
Complete the online application. Submit it with scanned copies of all required documents, such as transcripts, certificates, and test scores.
Fill out your preferences thoroughly and include the nonrefundable application fee of 110 USD with your completed application.
Wait for the offer and accept it (if you have one) by logging in with your OCAS username and password.
Canada student visa
International students who want to study in Canada for six months or more must obtain a study permit and a visa. Since the entire process can take 4 to 8 weeks, you should apply as soon as they offer you a place at the nearest Canadian Embassy.
Legal residents of China, India, Morocco, and other countries can also apply through the Student Direct Stream (SDS) to expedite the processing of their permits. However, SDS is only available to candidates who meet certain criteria, and those who do not meet them must consider applying through the regular process, either online or at a Visa Application Centre.
|Application fee||150 CAD|
|Biometric fee||85 CAD|
|Documents required||Acceptance letterFinancial evidenceHealth insurancePassportELP scores|
- The intake session is an essential component of the admission process. For a September 2023 program, you should apply in December 2022.
- The English language scores are necessary for admission to the university. George Brown will accept IELTS, TOEFL, Duolingo, and others as English language proficiency tests.
- Keep your Canada student visa ready once you get an official letter from the university.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your perspectives about the blog in the comments below. Please get in touch with us by clicking here for more information on George Brown College admission requirements. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Columbia University| Acceptance rate and more
Q1. Does George Brown College provide a work permit?
Answer- International students may apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit, valid for up to three (3) years, depending on the length of the academic program.
Q2. What is the tuition fee for Diploma/Certificate programs?
Answer- The tuition fee for Diploma/Certification programs for three semesters (2023-2024) is $23,700.
Q3. Is there an on-campus residence at George Brown College?
Answer- Yes, there is an on-campus residence. The George, a student residence at George Brown College, is at 80 Cooperage St. in Toronto. The apartment is in downtown Toronto, near the Distillery District. Fill out the online application on the Student Residence webpage to apply for a residence spot.