The lithographic posters were invented in the 18th century. They used to be painted on wood or metals. Today we use digital graphic designing tools to create a poster. After so many years, the posters still have the same effect and value in our lives. Poster-making requires logical thinking and creativity. You must understand the purpose of the poster to deliver what’s expected. Here, we will look into the types of posters and some 17 amazing poster-making ideas.
Types of posters
You will get different kinds of requirements for the posters. Some can demand more text, some may ask for more colors, and some of them can ask you to give something unique or experimental. It can be many things. Broadly the posters are mainly classified into 6 types. They are as follows.
|No.||Type of posters||Description|
|1||Advertising posters||These kinds of posters are made for the sole purpose of promoting a business or a product. Organizations prefer posters to advertise their product or services to the mass. You need to use words like ‘hurry,’ ‘offer,’ or ‘sale’ to attract people’s attention and instill a sense of urgency.|
|2||Motivational posters||These posters are mostly used to decorate office spaces, gyms, or websites. They need to attract the audience, hold their attention, and motivate them at the same time. You can use a suitable image for the background and write the quote focusing on the inspirational words.|
|3||Informative posters||These are meant to spread information in fewer words. These words have the most importance on the poster than the image, but the design and information should complement each other. Here, you need to design a poster where people can read the information and understand its purpose.|
|4||Promotional posters||This poster type can look similar to the advertisement posters, but we are selling content here. Movie or theater posters are the perfect examples of promotional posters. You don’t necessarily need to use the urgent words we have seen earlier. You just need to create a buzz about the content.|
|5||Travel posters||These are said to be the biggest attractions in the world. These posters need to tempt people to visit the place. That’s why it should have a scenic background and attractive font and design. The text shouldn’t overlap the image. Giving more information in fewer words is the key to making travel posters.|
|6||Event posters||These posters are also meant to create a buzz about the event. They emphasize more on text than the background image.|
17 creative ideas for poster-making
You are aware of what’s expected now. You can divide the poster work into these types. According to the type, you can comprehend the need for the poster. We have gathered some amazingly creative ideas for poster-making. Let’s dig in.
- Use color combinations to express the mood of the poster. You can even paint creative imagery with the colors.
- Blend typography and images to create a unique structure for the poster. It will be eye-catching and intriguing.
- Use graphic design with the text design to create vibrant typography for the poster. You can use a blur effect to create an attractive design.
- The reinvention of icons can give your poster a unique feel. You can create imagery out of words to make it look innovative.
- Use vibrant colors to attract people’s attention. This can be used for the event posters. You can use fewer words in bold font to make it look more attractive.
- Symmetry makes the poster look more clean, sorted, and attractive. You can fit the information into the symmetrical structure with a good color combination.
- You can use the double-colored headline for the poster. Choose colors that compliment one another to bring out better results.
- If you want to communicate more than words and sentences, use a photo-centric structure for the poster. You can combine photos or place them in a graphic format.
- You can use the page margin to create an attractive poster design. It will make the poster look sorted and enriching.
- When making an advertisement poster, you can include images of the products.
- You can use a transparent background to give your poster depth. It will look stunning on the motivational posters.
- The travel posters can be done in a vintage postal ticket style. They look nostalgic and attract the eyes of wanderlust people.
- You can keep it simple. A three-word sentence, a little figure related to the poster, and complimenting background color that’s all you need sometimes.
- You don’t have to use all the space on the poster. Be comfortable with the plain background and using text in the middle of the poster.
- You can experiment with the placement of the text, but make sure you attract people’s attention to it successfully.
- Use negative spacing to create shapes. It will look like a shape within an object. This can hold people’s attention for a longer time.
- You can put some drama in your typography. You can do so by making the text the highlight of the poster. Emphasize it to create energy and drama.
- Poster-making needs artistic and technical skills as well. You need to know the potential of the device you are using to make the most of it.
- You can experiment with the poster designs a bit to make something unique.
- The poster should look attractive but shouldn’t lose its purpose in the process.
We hope this information has helped you. Write to us your comments. Click here to read more such articles.
Liked this blog? Read next: Fine art painting | 5 things you need to know about this course
Q1. What makes a good poster?
Answer: Title, graphics, text, and white space are the key components of the poster which make it look good.
Q2. Which is the most used platform for poster-making?
Answer: Canva is used by most designers to create posters.
Q3. What are the free poster maker platforms?
Answer: Adobe spark, Canva, Visme, Stencil, Crello, DesignCap, etc., are some of the free poster maker platforms.