Table of Contents
The medical field is filled with different job designations. They all need specific education and training. One such degree is B.Sc in MLT. This degree course has much more to it than we are aware of. It can potentially train you with a specific goal and offer better job opportunities.
In this article, we will learn about B.Sc in MLT course and its scope. So, let’s get started.
What is B.Sc in MLT?
MLT stands for Medical Laboratory Technology. The Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology is a graduate program in India. It is also known as Clinical Laboratory Science. This course is of three years duration.
It is dedicated to making students proficient in diagnosing, treating, and preventing diseases. They are taught to detect diseases and their cure through clinical research and laboratory tests. The students learn skills required to perform a clinical diagnosis.
B.Sc in MLT is a completely skill-oriented degree course that prepares students for better career opportunities in the medical stream.
Why should you study B.Sc in MLT?
This degree program provides theoretical information and practical training for jobs. The curriculum of this course will help you gain the required skills for the job. There are plenty of reasons why you should consider pursuing this course. Let’s look at some of them.
- This course will link you with the constantly expanding healthcare sector. Your skills will be on-demand for better research and analysis.
- For completing any medical activity, clinical laboratory assistance is necessary.
- The curriculum of this course is skill-based. It will train you for the job in these 3 years.
- You will get a broader career perspective with the course as you will get opportunities to work in the medical sector.
The eligibility criteria
The B.Sc in MLT course has pretty simple eligibility criteria. You must fulfill the basic four requirements to be eligible for the course. These requirements are as follows.
- The 10+2 education in the science stream is required for the course from any government-recognized institution.
- You need to score a minimum of 50% in the 10+2 educational years. For ST, SC, and OBC candidates, the aggregate score is 45%.
- You must have physics, chemistry, mathematics, biology, or biotechnology as the main subjects in the 10+2 education.
- Depending on the institution’s requirements, you will need to pass an entrance test for admission.
The curriculum of B.Sc in MLT
This three-year degree program is divided into six semesters. You will learn several different subjects during this time. Let’s look at the list of subjects for these semesters.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Human anatomy-1||Human anatomy-2|
|Human physiology-1||Human physiology- 2|
|Health education and health communication||Bio-medical waste management|
|PC software lab||Practical- Human anatomy-2|
|Human anatomy-1 lab||Practical- Human physiology-2|
|Human physiology- 1 lab||Practical- Biochemistry-2|
|Biochemistry-1 lab||Communication lab|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Pathology- 1||Pathology- 2|
|Clinical haematology- 1||Clinical haematology- 2|
|Microbiology- 1||Microbiology- 2|
|Immunology & serology- 1||Immunology & serology- 2|
|Histopathology & histotechniques- 1||Histopathology & histotechniques- 2|
|Clinical haematology- 1 lab||Clinical haematology- 2 lab|
|Microbiology & serology- 1 lab||Microbiology & serology- 2 lab|
|Histopathology & histotechniques- 1 lab||Histopathology & histotechniques- 2 lab|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Immunohematology & blood banking||Clinical endocrinology & toxicology|
|Clinical enzymology & automation||Advanced diagnostic techniques|
|Parasitology & virology||Diagnostic molecular biology|
|Diagnostic cytology||Clinical endocrinology & toxicology lab|
|Principles of lab management & medical ethics||Advanced diagnostic techniques lab|
|Clinical enzymology lab||Diagnostic molecular biology lab|
|Parasitology & virology lab||Internship project|
The entrance tests
The admission process for B.Sc in MLT requires an entrance exam score. It also depends on the institution as well. If the admission process is merit-based, then some institutions don’t need entrance test scores. If the institution’s admission is entrance-based, you will need to pass the following entrance exams.
- JEE mains- The Joint Entrance Exam is of three hours duration with a negative marking system.
- JEE Advanced- This is one of the toughest exams to crack in India. You will get three hours to solve all the questions. It will also have a negative marking system.
- JNUEE- It is the Jawaharlal Nehru University Entrance Exam. This exam’s score is required for graduation and post-graduation courses.
After completing the B.Sc in MLT course, you will find yourself in a vast spectrum of job opportunities. Let’s look at some of the popular job titles and their salaries.
|No.||Job||Salary per annum in INR|
|1||Medical officer||5.12 lakhs|
|2||Medical record technician||4.2 lakhs|
|3||Laboratory manager||2.41 lakhs|
|4||Lab assistant||2.07 lakhs|
- The jobs after pursuing B.Sc in MLT are called challenging because they learn something new every day in the laboratory testing.
- You can opt for a post-graduation course and pursue a career in a lectureship.
- You can find job opportunities in pathology labs, urology labs, pharmaceuticals, hospitals, etc.
We hope you find this article helpful. Write to us your comments. Click here to read more such articles.
Liked this blog? Read next: B.Sc Geology | Everything you need to know about this course!
Q1. Does B.Sc in MLT require NEET scores?
Answer: No, the B.Sc in MLT course doesn’t require a NEET exam score for admission.
Q2. Can someone open their pathology lab after B.Sc in MLT?
Answer: According to the Supreme Court judgment in 2018, you can’t open a pathology lab on the basis of a B.Sc in MLT degree.
Q3. Who are the top recruiters in this field?
Answer: Wockhardt, Apollo hospitals, Fortis Healthcare, Hinduja hospitals, etc., are some of the top recruiters in the field of MLT.
See what others are saying
Fees for dmlt
One of our counselors will get in touch with you soon!
All the best.
You can also contact us-
Phone +91 9145332283