Table of Contents
- What is the purpose of extempore?
- Extempore topics
- What is the role of extempore in admissions and hiring
- Skills you need
- How to succeed in extempore
- Key Takeaways
Consider a scenario in which highly qualified business candidates appear for their interview but they are unable to impress the board of directors owing to a lack of confidence and incorrect speech habits. Being unable to organize your thoughts constructively can leave a poor impression. It is better to know how to do extempore speeches when you face such a situation. This will help you develop your speaking skills and ability to express yourself effectively. Check out this article for a list of extempore topics to practice!
What is the purpose of extempore?
Because of their spontaneous nature and the ability to test the thought process of candidates, top schools and companies are increasingly embracing extempore as a vital element of their selection process.
This enables the administration to evaluate and test the candidates on the following –
- Presence of mind
- Thought process
- Ability to Communicate
- Presentation of ideas in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Speaking Style
- Good content and accuracy of thoughts
Social issue extempore topics
Extempore allows you to cover a wide range of themes. They can range from broad subject knowledge to current events. Having a rough grasp of the frequently discussed topics will help you perform amazingly in extempore.
Following are some of the most important extempore topics, which are into several categories to provide a clear idea of the topics covered –
- Subsidy in the Fertiliser Sector
- Covid-19 Pandemic and its Impact on Healthcare
- Farm Bill 2020: Concerns, Issues
- Covid-19 & Ensuring Public Health
- Climate Justice
- Unemployment in India
- Rural Development
- Global Terrorism
- Reservations in India
- Good Economics is Good Politics
- Social Media is Making us Unsocial
- Women Empowerment
Current affair extempore topics
- Online Education
- Impact of Covid-19
- Work from Home – Pros and Cons
- New Education Policy
- Artificial Intelligence
- Recent Initiative by the Government
- Citizenship Amendment Act
- Moon Mission
- Media Trials: Pros & Cons
- Data Theft by Social Media Platforms
- Make in India vs. Make for India
- Goods and Services Tax
- Negative Obsession with Artificial Intelligence
Abstract extempore topics
- Is Work-Life Balance a Myth?
- Innovation vs. Invention
- Do We Need More Entrepreneurs or Managers?
- Mythology vs. Management
- Academic Scores are Not a Good Measure of Intelligence
- Red vs. Blue
- Liberal Education
- Ignorance is Bliss
Economy related extempore topics
- How will the Economy Recover from Covid-19’s Impact?
- Banking Frauds
- Impact of Demonetization
- Common Currency in South Asia like in Europe
- E-commerce Discounts are Harmful
General extempore topics
- IT: Boon or Bane
- Impact of Technology on Jobs
- Globalization and Indian Economy
- Green Marketing and Climate Change
- How can we Reduce the Wealth Gap between Rich & Poor?
- Disaster Management in India
- Cryptocurrency/ Bitcoin
- Why is Individual Data Privacy Important?
- Atmanirbhar Bharat
- Free Speech
What is the role of extempore in admissions and hiring
Extempore assesses a person’s ability to think on their feet, knowledge of a wide range of topics, and presentation skills. It is a key component of the personal interview round since it allows the interviewer to understand the interviewee’s personality and ability to handle a crisis. Knowing the process helps you prepare effectively for the round. The procedure for the extempore round during MBA admissions is outlined here.
- The interviewer assigns a topic to each candidate. Since the topics cover many issues, being well prepared is essential.
- Following that, the candidate is allowed 15-30 seconds to think about the issue and organize their thoughts to present it. They must give a speech that lasts between one and two minutes.
- The candidate is free to interpret the issue as they see fit and explain their ideas clearly. The secret is to merge one’s imagination and understanding of the subject to offer intriguing and interesting information.
Skills you need
Extempores do not always assess an individual’s knowledge of the subject. It assesses a person’s reasoning abilities, communication skills, and self-confidence. The person who nails an extempore round is the one who gets through to the audience. It is critical to understand the abilities needed to succeed in the extempore.
Some of the skills that you can develop to perform well in the extempore round are listed below –
- Ability to communicate
- Body language that is composed and poised
- Thinking logically
- Ability to Analyse
- Possessing the ability to think on your feet
How to succeed in extempore
A few fundamental strategies can be used to succeed in an extempore performance. Following are some ideas to remember to speak effectively in your forthcoming extempore round.
- Time Management – This can be difficult because the time allotted in an extempore is quite limited, and one must present all of the points quickly. Preparing beforehand with a timer can help you manage your time more effectively.
- Think First – It is critical to think about and contemplate the topic. The impact of a speech can be harmed by rambling without a structure or any essential points. Before putting your best foot forward, outline and organize your thoughts.
- Maintaining a calm demeanor – Maintaining a calm demeanor and powerful body language makes you appear more assertive. Hyperactivity during conversation can lead to muttering or blunders, reducing the impact of the communication.
- Tone – Be audible while maintaining a pleasant and inviting tone. It aids in communicating with the audience, resulting in your arguments being valued and given more weight.
- Conclusion – It is good to end an extempore positively to achieve greater results. The panelists pay more attention to the conclusion and benefit from the issue, praising the speaker’s reasoning ability and positivism.
- Extemporaneous presentations are more genuine and spontaneous, and they keep the audience engaged in the discussion.
- Extempore speech is a technique for evaluating and judging a person’s speaking ability, the flow of their thoughts, and the way they communicate their ideas.
- It encourages students to think quickly and creatively.
- Extempore is an excellent approach to practicing your communication and time management skills.
“Want more relevant and relatable topics?”, Check out other blogs here!
Liked this blog? Read next: English grammar book: Importance and 5 best picks
Q1. What does the term “Extempore” mean?
Answer – The term extempore refers to something said or done on the spur of the moment. It’s also an adverb indicating “on the spur of the moment,” “without forethought or preparation.”
Q2. How do you wrap up an impromptu performance?
Answer – Here are some of the most important approaches for wrapping up an impromptu speech or presentation:
- A straight call to action
- A very brief anecdote
- A call-to-question
- Quotes etc.
Q3. What’s the difference between extempore and impromptu?
Answer – The terms impromptu and extempore are equivalent; both are improvised without prior preparation, planning, or rehearsal.