Table of Contents
- What is a general knowledge book?
- Benefits of general knowledge
- Best general knowledge books for competitive exams
- Bonus books to increase your general knowledge
- Key takeaways
General knowledge doesn’t only allow you to learn more about the world, but also develops your reasoning, thinking, and analytical skills. In addition, it makes you more empathetic to all that is happening and changing around you. The more you know the more confident you get.
Furthermore, many recruiters, ask you to take tests to know how well-informed you are on matters. To know what defines general knowledge and what some of the best general knowledge books are out there, read this article below!
What is a general knowledge book?
A general knowledge book as the name suggests contains information that has material about all basic things related to life. The topics can range from current affairs, arts, developments in science, fashion, international relations, arts, and so on.
Bonus book name for mass communication and journalism, you can purchase the Handbook of Journalism.
General knowledge is not only needed by teachers or students who are directly related to academics, but it is also important for business owners, homemakers, farmers, and various professionals. When you know what’s happening, you can quickly adopt new innovations and changes to your business or work and make it a hundred times better.
To gain general insights about certain subjects written by experts browse through the Very Short Introduction Book Series published by Oxford University Press. Choose from topics ranging from Cosmology, History, Logic, The French Revolution, Cryptography, Quantum Theory, Plato, Terrorism. and more!
Benefits of general knowledge
By reading books to increase your knowledge, you will be bestowed with the following benefits-
- Holding meaningful conversations. You can do so with colleagues, friends, interviewers, professors, family members, and even strangers if you like.
- You will get better grades at university, college, school, or in your competitive exams.
- Knowledge makes you street smart and so you will be able to make more informed decisions in your life helping you to crack profitable investments.
- By coming across as a knowledgeable person you can impress your interviewer and your university application officer.
- You can help others uncover secrets of the universe and build them up as well.
- When your knowledge of the world is well-rounded and free from bias, your interaction with others from diverse backgrounds will fruitful.
- When your knowledge of the world is strong, no one can fool you. So your progress in life cannot be hindered.
- You question things around you rather than accepting things as they are.
Best general knowledge books for competitive exams
If you are preparing for a competitive exam and wondering which general knowledge book is best here are 3 that you must read-
1. Lucent’s General Knowledge
This is the best general knowledge book for students preparing for competitive examinations. It is a 400+ page long book and covers concisely all subjects from A to Z. The matter is written in simple language and the important points are highlighted with small notes on the side. This makes for a quick and easy revision process, right before your exams.
2. General Knowledge 2022 by Arihant Express
This book by Arihant Express is ideal because the current affairs section is updated. There are details of everything with zero errors making your base in current affairs strong as ever.
3. The Pearson Concise General Knowledge Manual 2020
This is students’ favorite for the last 15 years because it can be referred to by anyone preparing both for government exams and private exams. Everything is well covered in the book comprehensively and all crucial data is provided in a tabular format for a quick overview.
Bonus books to increase your general knowledge
In addition to the general knowledge books mentioned above, you can also go for the following books-
- An Incomplete Education: 3,684 Things You Should Have Learned but Probably Didn’t by Judy Jones and William Wilson
- Children’s Encyclopaedia- Scientists, Inventions and Discoveries by Manasvi Vohra
- The Book of General Ignorance by John Lloyd and John Mitchinson
- The Mega General Knowledge Quiz Book: 500+ Trivia by Jenny Kellett
- A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
- Encyclopedia of Everything by Parragon Books
- The Book of Knowledge by Imam Al-Ghazzali
- Encyclopaedia Britannica
- General knowledge books will give you an understanding of the world around you.
- It builds your profile for interviews.
- General knowledge books teach you everything from history to current affairs.
- Make notes everytime you read new information so you can retain it better.
We hope you found this blog informative. Don’t forget to comment below and share your thoughts! You can also get in touch with us if you have any doubts.
Liked this blog? Read: GATE syllabus | Everything you need to know about the exam!
Q1. Can general knowledge books be helpful for job interviews?
Ans: Yes. When you are a more aware person you will naturally feel more confident and you can tackle any question that may come to you to test your understanding and opinion of certain events and the world.
Q2. Can reading general knowledge books enhance public speaking skills?
Ans: Yes. When you have a well-rounded knowledge of the world you can become a great public speaker. You can also engage with your audience with little nuggets of information and facts to enhance your dialogue on the given topic.
Q3. How can I improve my general knowledge?
Ans: Apart from reading general knowledge books, some other ways to increase your knowledge is by-
- Networking with people who are knowledgeable
- Use media to your advantage. Refer to the media such as television and newspapers, by making small notes of what you read and heard.