Table of Contents
Graphic design is a field that combines creativity and technical skills to create visual content for various industries. Studying graphic design in Australia can provide you with an excellent education and diverse career opportunities. Australia has some of the best graphic design courses available for international students, with top-notch facilities, experienced faculty, and a vibrant design community.
Whether you choose an on-campus or online program, a bachelor’s degree or diploma course, or a specialized or broad curriculum, there are many options available to help you achieve your career goals in graphic design. With its blend of creativity, technical skill, and real-world application, graphic design can be a rewarding and fulfilling career path for those with a passion for visual communication.
Top graphic design courses in Australia for international students
Australia is home to some of the top graphic design courses in the world. Here are some of the best options for international students-
- Bachelor of Design (Communication Design) at RMIT University: Equipping students with essential skills, this program lays a strong foundation in communication design, covering areas such as typography, branding, and digital design.
- Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication) at the University of Technology Sydney: With a primary focus on visual communication, the program places a special emphasis on storytelling and multimedia design.
- Bachelor of Communication Design at the Swinburne University of Technology: Encompassing a wide array of design skills, the Bachelor of Communication Design at the Swinburne University of Technology provides students with a diverse set of competencies, including typography, packaging, and interactive design.
- Bachelor of Graphic Design at Queensland College of Art: This program focuses on developing skills in traditional and digital design, including illustration, motion graphics, and web design.
- Bachelor of Design (Digital Media) at Monash University: This program covers a wide range of digital media, including web design, animation, and game design.
- Advanced Diploma in Graphic Design at TAFE NSW: With a strong emphasis on staying up-to-date with the latest tools and techniques in the field, the advanced dimploma ensures students are well-equipped and proficient in design principles, layout, illustration, and multimedia design.
- Diploma of Graphic Design at Torrens University Australia: Students delve into various domains, such as typography, layout design, branding, and digital media. Moreover, they will develop a profound comprehension of design theory, color theory, and composition techniques, enabling them to craft visually captivating and engaging designs.
Graphic design course | Duration and fees in Australia
The duration and graphic design course fees in Australia can vary depending on the institution and program. Here is a breakdown of some of the most popular options for international students-
- Bachelor’s degree: A bachelor’s degree in graphic design typically takes three to four years to complete. While the tuition fees range from AUD 20,000 to AUD 40,000 per year.
- Diploma or advanced diploma: Diploma and advanced diploma programs in graphic design are shorter than bachelor’s degrees, usually taking one to two years to complete. Tuition fees range from AUD 10,000 to AUD 30,000 per year.
- Certificate programs: A certificate program in graphic design is the shortest option, usually taking six months to one year to complete. The tuition fee for the same is between AUD 5,000 to AUD 15,000.
It’s worth noting that these fees do not include living expenses, such as accommodation, food, and transportation, which can add significantly to the cost of studying in Australia. However, international students may be eligible for scholarships or financial aid to help offset these expenses.
Online graphic design courses in Australia
Australia offers a wide range of online graphic design courses. They provide students with the flexibility to study from anywhere while acquiring valuable design skills. These courses blend theoretical knowledge with practical application to prepare students for a successful career in the dynamic field of graphic design.
Here are some notable online graphic design courses in Australia-
|Course Name||Institution||Course Duration||Course Cost|
|Graphic Design Essentials||University of Melbourne||8 weeks||$500|
|Advanced Graphic Design||Griffith University||12 weeks||$800|
|Digital Graphic Design||RMIT University||6 months||$1,200|
|Graphic Design Principles and Practices||University of Sydney||Self-paced||Free (with an option for a certificate)|
|Branding: Creating and Managing Identity||Queensland University of Technology||4 weeks||$200|
These courses cover a range of topics, such as design principles, color theory, typography, layout design, branding, motion graphics, web design, and digital marketing. Students have the opportunity to enhance their practical skills, work on hands-on projects, and develop a portfolio of work that showcases their abilities to potential employers.
Graphic design course syllabus
The syllabus for a graphic design course in Australia will vary depending on the institution and program. However, here are some common topics and skills that you can expect to learn-
- Design principles, including composition, color theory, and typography
- Design software, such as Adobe Creative Suite
- Branding and identity design
- Layout and print design
- Digital media and web design
- Packaging design
- Motion graphics and animation
- Portfolio development and presentation
By mastering these skills and concepts, students can build a strong foundation in graphic design. The institutions will also help you develop a diverse portfolio that showcases your abilities to potential employers.
- Australia has some of the top graphic design courses in the world, with a range of programs available for international students.
- The syllabus for a graphic design course in Australia typically covers design principles, software, branding, layout, digital media, packaging, and portfolio development.
- Online graphic design courses offer flexibility and access to a wider range of courses but lack some of the benefits of on-campus programs.
Studying in Australia could be life-changing for you! But at the same time, it might be daunting to get through the entire application process to get admission to a top university. We can simplify this journey for you. Just reach out to us or drop a comment below.
Like this blog? Also read: 7 best fashion courses in Australia
Q1) Is graphic design in demand in Australia?
Answer: Yes, graphic design is in demand in Australia, with opportunities available in advertising, publishing, web design, branding, and product design.
Q2) How much does it cost to study graphic design in Australia?
Answer: The cost of studying graphic design in Australia can vary depending on the institution and program. But, on average, tuition fees typically range from AUD 5,000 to AUD 40,000 per year. Plus, there are other expenses like pre-departure costs, living costs, etc.
Q3) What qualifications do you need to be a Graphic Designer in Australia?
Answer: To become a graphic designer in Australia, you typically need a bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related field. As well as a portfolio of work demonstrating your skills and creativity. Some employers may also require experience or certifications in specific software or technologies.