Table of Contents
Harvard Business School | What is an SOP?
A statement of purpose is a written sample that provides an opportunity to impress the admission panel of a university by outlining your profile in an article. It highlights interpersonal attributes that aren’t included in your academic papers. An SOP for Harvard Business School is mandatory for students wishing to secure admission to this prestigious college. So, if you are unaware of what an SOP is and its importance, read on to learn more.
What is the importance of SOP?
SOP is a comprehensive essay expected as part of the application process by international universities like Harvard Business School for admission. It highlights your impetus for applying for a specific course of education at a particular university. It aims to comprehensively portray your life and illustrate the things that drive you to choose this particular profession. An SOP will include details like your previous academic and working experience, what you are doing now and what your future plans are.
Various criteria, including a strong SOP, determine your selection by any reputed institution, such as Harvard University. Furthermore, this is the only subjective component of your application which allows you to discuss your career plans with the admissions committee to assist them in determining whether you are a good fit for a prestigious institution like the Harvard Business School.
What does Harvard Business School look for in your SOP?
You should remember that the admissions committee of Harvard University will accept and analyze countless applications for the same course of study. Therefore, it is important to effectively convey your profile’s individuality and supremacy and ensure that your SOP is concise and straightforward. The following are a few things that college review committees typically look for in a student’s SOP –
- Your SOP must exhibit your writing skills. While a strong vocabulary may help make a good impression, the language should be clear enough for people to understand. Grammatical mistakes should not be present in your SOP.
- Your SOP must accentuate the characteristics that set you apart from other applicants; these could be your accomplishments in school, your societal involvement, your interests, your extracurricular activities, etc.
- Try to clarify how you and the college can benefit if Harvard Business School accepts your application. You may mention the following points: how your career will take off if given an acceptance letter. Also, mention how the Harvard Business School will benefit from your acceptance.
- It would be highly beneficial to highlight how you could benefit the community, whether through volunteer work, sports, organizations, clubs, etc. In plain English, you need to persuade the admissions committee that you can represent Harvard Business School well in society.
- Acknowledging the study schedule and resources provided at Harvard University will reflect that you have done your homework and that your application is not arbitrary. You must be knowledgeable about the university’s accomplishments, programs for students, reputable faculty members and internship possibilities, etc.
Sample SOP for Harvard Business School
Here is a standard Harvard SOP for an MBA that will give you an idea of what a statement of purpose looks like –
My name is XX (mention your name). I am a resident of (your current address), and I am (your age) years old. I pursued my bachelor’s degree in business (mention your degree) from Delhi University (mention your college) in the academic year 2021, with a percentage of 91.58 (mention your marks percentage). Additionally, I received 81.5 percent (mention your marks percentage) marks in my board exam after appearing in the ICSE examination. Also, I had taken commerce for my 10+2 boards exam and scored 91.5 (mention your marks percentage) percent in the ISC examination.
Although I have not been engaged in a full-time employment opportunity, I have completed my internship as a marketing trainee at XX Pvt. Ltd. (mention the company) for six months (mention the internship period). The internship greatly assisted me in expanding my knowledge about the industry and providing me with practical experience. Participating in these programs taught me a lot about management, leadership, and teamwork.
I chose the Master in Business Management program (mention the preferred course of study) for my further education because I believe every professional should have valuable knowledge and experience in managing various projects, teams, and divisions in the business sector. This is because managers are integral to all organizations’ initiatives and businesses.
I decided to pursue an MBA at Harvard Business School because I am confident this international MBA is ideal for my immediate and long-term aspirations. My entrepreneurial skills would be significantly enhanced by the flexible program and adaptable curriculum provided here. Working with motivated people from all over the world through the Global Management Consultancy Program, learning from studies that are relevant to the business world, and receiving guidance from eminent professors would ensure that my duration at Harvard University is a continuation of my unique educational experience rather than a side trip. I aim to achieve my goals by pursuing an MBA from your prestigious university, but I also aspire to contribute equally. I promise to work diligently and earn extraordinary academic records for the institution.
My family will cover the cost of my education, and after I finish my study, I’ll return to my home country. Thank you for considering my application, and I would be highly obliged if you accept my request for admission to your reputable institution.
Thanking You, (Your name)
Do remember that this is just an example of how an SOP should look. You have to prepare your own SOP outlining your credentials. However, if you need assistance preparing your SOP, contact the experts at iSchoolConnect.
SOP writing tool from iSchoolConnect
iSchoolConnect has developed an SOP writing tool to help you write a Statement of Purpose that will stand out. All you need to do is to upload your already written SOP on this platform. After that, the document analyzer tool will use Natural Language Processing(NLP) to analyze and assess grammar, plagiarism, readability, and much more.
Now, you don’t need to pay any charges to use this tool. All you have to do is register for free and use it to make an impressive SOP. Check out the tool here!
- When applying for admission, you must submit a Statement of Purpose that represents your identity to the admissions committee.
- SOP for Harvard University allows you to impress the panel by laying out your background in an article format, emphasizing interpersonal skills not covered in your academic works.
- In this article, we have mentioned what Harvard Business School looks for in an applicant’s SOP.
- Also, we have mentioned a sample of how SOPs should look for Harvard Business School.
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog. In case of any queries or assistance with writing your SOP, reach out to us or drop a comment below!
Liked this blog? Read next: TOEFL score for Harvard | Raise your chances of admission
Q1. What are the key elements of an SOP for Harvard Business School?
Answer- You can break down your SOP for Harvard Business School into four key sections-
- Professional history
- Career goal
Q2. How significant is the SOP for Harvard Business School?
Answer- SOP is a document highlighting your reasons for enrolling in a particular program of study at a certain university. So, it is like the backbone of the Harvard University application process. Therefore, universities include SOPs as a component of the application process to understand you better.
Q3. Would a title be appropriate for the SOP for Harvard Business School?
Answer- No, a title is not required while creating SOP for Harvard Business School. However, you must follow the university’s rules and guidelines regarding submission and template.