Table of Contents
Nautical science is a branch of study that focuses on the methods and information needed to navigate and operate a ship safely. Nautical science is based on physics, math, and physical education, and concepts from these subjects are used while running a ship. Its study is a mix of classroom training and hands-on experience. One can only flourish in this profession if they have the necessary training and experience.
So, BSC in Nautical Science can be your first step in this challenging field of work.
Everything you need to know about BSc in Nautical Science
Candidates who have a strong interest in sea navigation and ship operation can choose to seek a career in Nautical Science. All you need is a diploma or degree in this discipline to work in nautical science. Numerous courses in Nautical Science are available at the diploma, UG, and PG levels. There are many institutions and universities all over the world that provide degree and certificate programs in Nautical Science.
Advantages of pursuing a career in nautical science
Every year, many students choose the specialized subject of study known as nautical science.
The benefits of taking this course are as follows-
- One of the most well-liked academic specialties that provide access to a variety of lucrative careers in the nation is nautical science.
- Some of the top businesses in shipping industries hire Nautical Science candidates.
- One can expect to work as a chief nautical officer after earning a degree or diploma in Nautical Science.
- The best candidates for Nautical Science courses are individuals looking for an adventurous career.
- Given that the completion rate of the degree is average, enrolling in Nautical Science courses is not very difficult. Compared to many other courses, the benefits, and pay scale offered after graduation are superior.
Nautical science courses
You can choose from a wide variety of courses to start a career in nautical science.
The following are the most popular Nautical Science courses:
BSC in Nautical Science
The most popular option to choose if you want to learn in-depth information in a 3-year, the full-term course in nautical science is the Bachelor of Science in Nautical Science.
Diploma in Nautical Science
This program is an option if you want to pursue a career in nautical science over a shorter length of time.
MSc in Nautical Science
If you wish to pursue a master’s degree in nautical science, you can do it with the help of the Master of Science program in Nautical Science.
Eligibility criteria for courses in Nautical Science
One needs to meet specific requirements set forth by the relevant authority to enroll in a nautical science course. The requirements for eligibility might vary from course to course and from college to college.
Before applying for the program, candidates must review the university or college’s prospectus.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible to enroll in a Nautical Science program, a candidate must meet the following requirements:
- At the start of the program, the candidate should be between the ages of 17 and 25.
- The candidate should have a 6/6 vision.
- The applicant shouldn’t have night blindness.
- The applicant shouldn’t have color blindness.
- The candidate must be physically capable of performing the tasks at sea effectively.
Best colleges in the world that provide BSc in the Nautical Science course
Numerous academic institutes and colleges offer degree and certificate programs in nautical science and maritime studies all around the world. The top colleges and universities known for their BSc in Nautical Science programs are listed below-
- Liverpool British University John Moores
- Australia’s University of Tasmania (UTAS)
- Ireland’s Cork Institute of Technology
- Canada’s Cape Breton University
- New Zealand’s Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology
- New Zealand Marine Institute
- Canada’s Memorial University of Newfoundland, and Manukau Institute of Technology
- The Singapore Polytechnic University
- Malaysia’s Universiti Malaysia Terengganu
Career opportunities and job prospects in Nautical Science
There are numerous job prospects in the Nautical Science industry.
Candidates with a degree or diploma in nautical science can choose from a variety of reputed job positions, including
- Marine superintendent
- deck officer
- marine engineer
- scuba diver
- nautical surveyor
Candidates with a degree or diploma in nautical science are further given attractive starting salary packages. Nautical science provides lots of growth, candidates can secure high-paying positions at reputed companies/organizations after working there for a year or more.
You must have the motivation and interest necessary to undergo rigorous training if you want a job profile that involves a deck or considerable fieldwork. You will also need previous sea experience of at least a year. The single factor in this profession that can aid a candidate in improving his or her current skill set is experience.
You can apply for the following career profiles if you continue your studies in nautical science:
- Deck officer
- Scuba diver
- Nautical Surveyor
- Marine Engineer
- Radio Officer
- Deck Cadet Captain
- Marine Superintendent
- Chief Officer
- Second Officer
- Port Operations officer
- Navigation officer
- Operation Manager
- Teacher or lecturer
After completing a BSc in nautical science degree, you get a wide range of prospects and job options in the specialized field.
You can continue your education by pursuing an MSc in Nautical Science after you complete the BSc program.
There is also an option to choose to enroll in online post-graduate degrees and shipping courses.
You will be able to pursue a postgraduate diploma in subjects like maritime law, nautical science, and marine engineering after completing a BSc in nautical science.
To keep their skills and knowledge up to date, graduates can also enroll in certification programs in the newest technologies, developing tools, and languages.
- Nautical science deals with the navigation and operation of ships by using the concepts of physics, math, and physical education. You get trained on nautical science as well as the topics related to these subjects in this course.
- Candidates who are interested in sea navigation and ship operation can choose to have a career in nautical science. There are many courses available for you and you can choose one according to what fits your requirements and eligibility.
- You will get many job opportunities after completing a BSc in nautical science. You can either apply for jobs or pursue post-graduation after completing the graduate course.
Did you find this blog informative? If so, please share your thoughts in the comments section below. Click here to contact us for more information on BSc in nautical science. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: All about aviation engineering- admission, courses, and scope
Q1. Can girls join BSc in nautical science?
Ans- Yes, anyone with qualifying scores irrespective of gender can join BSc in nautical science.
Q2. Is math compulsory to get admission to nautical science?
Ans- Candidates who want to enroll in the nautical science program are required to complete 10+2(Highschool) in physics, chemistry, mathematics, and English with qualifying marks.
Q3. Which are the top colleges in India that provide BSc in nautical science courses?
Ans-Top colleges in India that provide BSc in nautical science courses-
- Indian Maritime University, Navi Mumbai Campus.
- Indian Maritime University, Kochi Campus.
- Coimbatore Marine College, Coimbatore.
- Tolani Maritime Institute, Mumbai.
- Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Pune.