Table of Contents
Interviews are an essential component of the recruitment process for organizations globally, and candidates are tested on their physical as well as practical skills. If you are a fresher seeking employment, the interview conducted provides an opportunity to showcase your skills and professional interests. The competition, however, is stringent and aspirants are required to put their best foot forward and be well-prepared for their interviews. Therefore, it is best that you look up interview tips for freshers to know what to do and what to expect in an interview.
The number of undergraduate degree-holders or freshers will reach a whopping number of 300 million by 2030. Thousands of companies globally seek to employ freshers for the multiple benefits associated with this population. Freshers have strong theoretical knowledge and are often directly involved with technologies required by businesses today. They also display the unique ability to unlearn and relearn. Their willingness to contribute to an organization’s growth and adapt to the current corporate environment makes them much sought-after.
If you are a fresher considering becoming a part of the corporate workforce, preparing for the interviews can be a great way to make this dream a reality. Keep reading to discover 5 important interview tips for freshers to stay ahead of the competition!
1. Be well-groomed
Interviews are formal screening events to assess whether you are a good fit for an organization or not. When you receive a call confirming your interview, it would be a good idea to understand what the dress code for the interview is. First impressions are often lasting impressions.
Take some time out the day before the interview to groom your hair and nails. Iron your clothes and wear appropriate footwear if the interview is being conducted in person. You will have to be in the proper attire even if your interview is online. Adherence to a dress code can indicate enthusiasm and discipline to do well professionally.
2. Do your research on the company
As a fresher, it is recommended that you research the company thoroughly before an interview. This is among the best interview tips for freshers to help you achieve your goal. Not knowing enough about the organization can be an obstacle in helping you secure your job.
Researching the company before your interview can demonstrate enthusiasm to the potential employer. This can also be a great way to showcase that your knowledge, skills, and values match with the company’s long-term goals.
A list of topics to research before your interview can include:
- Products & Services
- Current Clients
- Future Goals
- Previous Growth Records
3. Maintain a good body language
The way you conduct yourself during an interview is just as important as what you say. The body language you maintain can give the interviewer a good idea of your personality and attitude towards the role. Practicing non-verbal communication before the interview can be a good place to start.
Here are some tips to communicate confidence with your body language:
- Make eye contact without hesitation
- Shake hands with the interviewer present (if the interview is being conducted in person)
- Do not slouch; sit straight but remember to not be too stiff
- Smile and nod to acknowledge that you understand what the interviewer is saying
- Use minimal hand gestures when communicating your ideas or giving answers
- Do not fidget or play with your hair or clothes during the interview
4. Communicate clearly
Clear communication is often tested during interviews. As a fresher, the way you share your ideas can be a deal-maker or deal-breaker for securing employment. Clear communication is therefore one of the most important interview tips for freshers to practice.
- Listen to the interviewer with intent and allow them to finish speaking before replying
- Structure your thoughts and arguments before presenting them to the interviewer
- Choose your words carefully
- Avoid the use of informal language
- Frame short, crisp sentences to answer each question
Remember to not be argumentative. You should be able to present your viewpoints as professionally and politely as possible. If you disagree with the interviewer, learn to put your opinion across without invalidating what they have said.
5. Ask relevant questions
One of the mistakes made by freshers is not asking questions towards the end of the interview. Asking well-thought and relevant questions can be a great way to display motivation, curiosity, and a willingness to learn. Asking questions can also help you understand the work culture and environment of the company you have applied to.
Some common questions to ask the interviewer during your interview include:
- What are the details of a particular project?
- What is the employee strength per department?
- Specifications of the role you have applied for
- Is traveling a part of your position’s responsibilities?
- What will be expected of you if you are employed by the company?
10 common interview questions for freshers
Undertaking mock interviews with your friends and family before the final interview can help you prepare better!
Here are 10 common interview questions for you to practice with:
- Tell us a little more about yourself.
- What would you say, are your biggest strengths?
- What would you say, are your biggest weaknesses?
- Can you tell us about your hobbies and interests?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years and in 10 years?
- Why do you want to work in this company?
- Why should we consider hiring you?
- How can you contribute to the organization?
- What do you know about the organization?
- How much do you expect to receive per month from the company?
- Freshers are among the most sought-after candidates by organizations across the world.
- The benefits of employing freshers are plenty primarily because candidates display a willingness to learn and have strong theoretical knowledge.
- Interviews are a crucial part of the screening process. Performance on interviews can be a deal-maker or deal-breaker for securing a job.
- Preparing and practicing with the listed interview tips for freshers and questions can help you stay ahead of the competition.
Liked this blog? Read 7 amazing interview tips to make a lasting impression!
Q1. What do I need to do before a virtual interview?
Answer – Check your device & assigned URL and test your camera & microphone a day before your virtual interview.
Q2. When should I follow up with the company?
Answer – Do not forget to ask your interviewer when you can expect to hear back from them. Most interviewers will let candidates know when they can expect the results of their interview.
Q3. What platforms can I research the company on?
Answer – Do your research on the organization by browsing their profiles on social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn. A basic Google search can also provide you with the information you need.