Table of Contents
The general science stream is among the most popular streams considered by students after the 10th grade. Data published by the All India Survey on Higher Education estimates that close to 47.13 lakh students were enrolled in the science stream during the academic year of 2019-2020.
Pursuing your 11th and 12th grades in the science stream can bring about a plethora of undergraduate course options across different disciplines. Many opt for STEM courses to develop a firm theoretical foundation for careers in science.
One of the most popular disciplines in science is biology, and pursuing a course (and a career) in the same can be stimulating and rewarding.
Keep reading to discover the top 7 courses after 12th science biology that can significantly add value to your resume!
- Typically a 3-year undergraduate course, BSc Microbiology is an excellent option to consider if you enjoy studying microorganisms. These include bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
- Pursuing a microbiology undergraduate degree can present you with several career options in subfields such as-
- As a part of this dynamic course, the different subjects that comprise the curriculum include-
- Microbial Metabolism
- Cell Biology
- A BSc in Biotechnology is among the 3-year undergraduate courses after 12th science biology that emphasizes the study of genetic manipulation.
- As a part of the course, you will learn how to alter biological processes to produce hormones, antibodies, medicines, and other such interventions.
- You do not need to have a foundation in mathematics to pursue this course.
- Some of the different subjects that will be covered as a part of the curriculum include-
- Animal Biotechnology
- DNA Typing & Proteomics
- Recombinant DNA Technology
- Industrial Biotechnology
- Molecular Genetics
- Microbial Genetics
- Cell Structure & Dynamics
- BSc Nursing is a 4-year undergraduate course that is focused on the development of critical care and advanced thinking skills.
- With this qualification, you can consider practicing professional nursing and midwifery.
- A BSc Nursing course also includes a post-basic training session and requires a minimum of 10+2 education.
- As proof of training by the Indian Nursing Council (or equivalent authority), you will be required to present skills in the following-
- Orthopedic Nursing
- Cancer Nursing
- Community Health Nursing
- Psychiatric Nursing
- TB Nursing
- Leprosy Nursing
- Ophthalmic Nursing
- Neurological & Neurosurgical Nursing
BTech Food Technology
- BTech Food Technology courses are typically 4-year undergraduate courses after 12th science biology divided into a series of 8 semesters.
- As a part of the curriculum, you will learn about the different processes of food preservation and food engineering.
- With a BTech Food Technology qualification, the different career positions you can consider include-
- Food Executive
- Production Manager
- Storage Manager
- Food Engineer
- As a part of the course syllabus, the different concepts you will study include-
- Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Graphics
- Food Biochemistry
- Food Microbiology
- Applied Mechanics & Strength of Materials
- Food Processing Engineering
BVSc (Bachelor of Veterinary Sciences)
- A BVSc course is a degree in the study of veterinary medicine.
- The course duration ranges from 5.5 to 6 years, with a minimum of 6 months being a compulsory internship project.
- As a part of the course, you will learn to establish medical diagnostics and treat diseases in animals.
- The BVSc course also comes in several specializations including-
- Livestock Production & Management
- Veterinary Science & Radiology
- Veterinary Microbiology
- Animal Nutrition
- Animal Genetics & Breeding
BTech Genetic Engineering
- This is one of the most lucrative courses after 12th science biology that you can consider!
- BTech Genetic Engineering includes the study of genetic modification techniques for the achievement of desired characteristics in a living organism.
- The course is typically a four-year program that requires students to have a basic foundation in Physics, Biology, Chemistry & Mathematics.
- As a part of the course syllabus, the different concepts covered in the curriculum include:
- Traditional Methods of Breeding
- Biomolecular Reactions
- Recombinant DNA Techniques
- Principles of Immunological Aspects
- Enzyme Technology
- Applications of Genetic Engineering
BPT (Bachelor of Physiotherapy)
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy is a four-year undergraduate course that equips you with the skills of the scientific movement.
- Physiotherapy is a health profession that contributes to the increase, maintenance, and restoration of physical mobility, function, and strength.
- As a part of the course curriculum, some of the different concepts you will learn include prescribing exercise regimes and performing evidence-based kinesiology & shockwave mobility therapies.
- The crucial skills developed in this course are:
- Ability to Operate Equipment
- Scientific Rationalisation of Procedures
- Clarity of Speech
- Remarkable Presentation Skills
- Basic Nursing is also a core component of this course and syllabus.
- The science stream is among the most popular streams selected by students for their 11th and 12th specializations.
- There are a plethora of lucrative courses after 12th science biology that can be considered.
- Opting for an undergraduate course that is aligned with your personal and professional skills can be a great way to create a remarkable career.
- There are excellent career options that can be considered with a niche specialization in the discipline of biology. These include subfields such as Biotechnology, Genetic Engineering, Food Technology, and Veterinary Sciences.
Q1. Is speech pathology a course specialization I can consider with the 12th background in science and biology?
Answer – Yes, a Bachelor of Audiology Speech Pathology (BASLP) is a four-year undergraduate course that can be considered with a foundation in 12th biology.
Q2. Is laboratory work a part of the curricula for the courses listed above?
Answer – Yes, laboratory work is a crucial component for courses in the discipline of biology.
Q3. Can I pursue a degree in psychology after completing 12th in the science stream?
Answer – Absolutely! A background in science can facilitate your study of Psychology with an undergraduate degree.