Table of Contents
LinkedIn is the largest professional network in the world, with more than 722 million users. A well-maintained LinkedIn profile is an excellent way to showcase your connections, recommendations, knowledge, and expertise.
This platform provides ample opportunities to highlight professional achievements and credibility in the industry. If crafted wisely, a profile on LinkedIn can help students and working professionals alike. There’s no denying that the best LinkedIn profiles are the most visible on the platform, giving them an edge.
So, if you want to be seen on the platform and are wondering how to create a LinkedIn profile, look no further. Follow these tips to optimize your profile and stay ahead in this competitive world.
How to create a LinkedIn profile?
1. Select an appropriate profile picture
A rule that remains constant across all professional interactions is that the first impression always matters! This includes impressions formed when viewing a picture of you on your profile. Your LinkedIn profile picture is the first impression that employers, recruiters, and colleagues receive from your profile.
Research conducted on LinkedIn logistics has revealed that profiles with professional photographs get viewed 21 times more than profiles without a photo!
You can be creative and unconventional with your LinkedIn profile picture. However, make sure that it adheres to professional regulations.
Furthermore, you can take cues from some best LinkedIn profiles to learn about the kind of picture to include in your profile.
2. Add a relevant background photo
The second visual on your LinkedIn page that will garner attention is your background photograph. Choosing a good background for your page can be a great way to add a personal touch!
- You can consider customizing by choosing a theme in line with your personality or profession. A well-chosen background photograph with the right media can provide ample information on what professionally matters to you.
- LinkedIn also provides an option to connect infographics and videos to your page, setting the context for your profile. So, get your creative juices flowing and add visuals that will make your profile stand out!
3. Create a catchy headline
Many LinkedIn profile users opt to add a regular job title to their headline. However, there is so much more you can do with this space!
So, follow these tricks to come up with a great headline for your LinkedIn profile:
- The headline of your page can be customized to include information on your area of expertise, in addition to your job title. Look up “social selling” to add a personal touch to your headline. This makes your profile compelling to someone viewing your profile for the first time.
- Consider going through the headlines of popular sales representatives and digital marketers. These LinkedIn profile examples will give you a better idea of how to creatively utilize the headline space.
- If you are in the process of applying for a new job, the LinkedIn headline is among the fields that appear on the search. These searches are conducted by potential employers and clientele looking for specialized individuals. There are specific keywords used in these searches that are highlighted when LinkedIn scans profiles. A great way to come up in these searches is ensuring that your LinkedIn profile is fully optimized with relevant skills searched by recruiters.
4. Write an engaging summary
What’s that great about a summary section? Well, this section provides you with 2000 characters to write about you. It gives you an opportunity to tell a story of who you are as a professional. Therefore, utilize it well!
- The summary of your page is a great section to highlight all of your professional accomplishments till date.
- Add opening statements with relevant keywords that capture the audience’s attention in your LinkedIn profile.
- Consider ending your summary with a statement on the kind of opportunities you are looking for.
Remember that attention spans are relatively short, so it is not necessary to use all 2000 characters. Get creative and craft a story that describes your talents and skills as an employee.
There is a wide range of strategies and opinions available on how to best optimize the ‘About‘ section of a LinkedIn page. So, check out those strategies and ace the ‘About’ section.
5. Grow your network and ask for recommendations
LinkedIn is the best online platform to connect with like-minded professionals and people with relevant insights and opinions.
You can connect with professionals in various ways. Here are some ways that can help you grow your network:
- Sync your account with your address book. This enables LinkedIn to suggest a large number of people you can connect with. Taking advantage of this feature can allow you to expand your connections.
- Given that no requests are sent without permission, you can vet all of the profiles that are suggested. Additionally, keep in touch with your connections to boost your network quality.
- Consider following the pages of recommended entrepreneurs for a regular boost of inspiration and drive.
- Another great tip is to request recommendations from all of your connections. These recommendations help you build credability. If you are a student, these recommendations might increase your chances to get into your desired univesrity. Similarly, it can help professionals to land a great opportunity.
- The advantage of recommendations is that there is no limit to how many you can request. Once you accept a recommendation, it becomes visible on your LinkedIn profile.
6. Keep your profile active
If you think LinkedIn is an online resume, you are mistaken! LinkedIn is a social media and networking site, just like Instagram and Facebook. However, this platform is a hub for a professional community.
Therefore, it becomes imperative to keep an active LinkedIn profile to be seen by your network. You can be active on LinkedIn by following these simple steps:
- Make the most of the site by including it in your regular mobile-app browsing sessions. Keep an eye on the kind of posts your network is creating. Leave thoughtful and engaging comments on the post. Also, like and share information that strikes you as relevant to your interests.
- Additionally, there are several groups available on LinkedIn that include a wide range of professional interests. From accounting to design and marketing to sales, there is a group for anyone seeking to develop their skills. Join a couple of these groups to meet new people and share informative ideas.
- Besides these, look out for great LinkedIn profile examples to get an idea of what kind of content you can post and how to engage with your professional connections.
Once your profile is complete, ensure that you have reached the “All-Star” status on your Profile Strength measurement. Once done, share the link for your updated LinkedIn profile on all your social media platforms.
From universities to organizations, everyone looks at your social media presence to analyze if you will be the right fit for them. So, make the most of your page, and reap the benefits of a compelling profile with the above-mentioned tips!
Do you have any more tips to create a great LinkedIn profile? If yes, share with us, and we will include those here. You can do this by dropping a comment below or reaching out to us!
Q1. What should my background photo consist of?
Answer – You can choose your background photo to represent your interests and passion. These could be professional or personal. But, make sure you are highlighting the key skills/interests on the background media.
Q2. What is the maximum number of recommendations to showcase on my profile?
Answer – There is no limit on the number of recommendations you can showcase on your profile. The more, the better! Therefore, it is advisable that you ask for recommendations from your co-workers, etc. If you are a student, you can ask for a recommendation from your professors.
Q3. How many groups can I join on LinkedIn?
Answer – You can join as many relevant groups as you would like. Remember to join groups that align with your professional interests and goals.