Table of Contents
- Masters of commerce: The world of financing
- What is M.Com?
- What does M.Com consist of?
- Advantages of masters of commerce
- Eligibility criteria
- Required skills
- Masters of commerce syllabus
- Top colleges for masters of commerce
- Masters of commerce | Job opportunities
- Masters of commerce | Job profiles
- Course highlights
- Key takeaways
Masters of commerce: The world of financing
Finance has always been a fascinating world requiring an aptitude for numbers and a strategic mindset. It is a respectable field, and many students want to pursue it, even at a postgraduate level. Hence, they often opt for the Masters of Commerce course.
Notably, masters of commerce is a 2-year postgraduate program. What’s more interesting is that it opens up numerous career opportunities for a student. Additionally, the course sharpens one’s knowledge in banking, finance, accounting, and insurance, among other related subjects.
What is M.Com?
Masters of Commerce (M.Com) is a course that involves writing research papers and thesis on subjects based on accounting, management, and economics over two years. All in all, the course delves deeper into the knowledge of revenue, trade, capital, economy, taxes, and other topics whose base is covered during graduation in B.Com.
What does M.Com consist of?
The course generally consists of core and elective subjects. Additionally, the core subjects are related to the fundamentals of commerce. In addition to this, the elective subjects are associated with specialization in a particular topic. A few topics for electives are mathematics, accounting, taxation, banking, and actuarial studies, and their skills.
Advantages of masters of commerce
As a matter of fact, M.Com has many advantages. As has been noted, the advanced knowledge a student gains throughout this degree program enhances their confidence and ability to pursue a more advanced role.
In addition to this, given below are a few reasons for pursuing M.Com –
1. Broadening knowledge
Pursuing a master’s degree will broaden your horizon on that specific subject. Additionally, pursuing the degree will give you an in-depth knowledge of the field subjects.
2. Good salary
What’s more interesting is that students of M.Com can expect an excellent salary package for this subject. There are top companies worldwide that hire candidates with this degree and pay an average salary that ranges from $50k to 149k.
3. Great job opportunities
As a matter of fact, masters of commerce offer excellent opportunities. Additionally, it allows you to grow as world-class professionals and build global networks. Some popular companies that constantly hire professionals who hold this degree are BMW, Deloitte Consulting, JDA Software Group, etc.
4. Broader scope
All in all, there is a broad scope of further education after M.Com. You can opt for the following:
- Ph.D. in Commerce
- Doctor of Philosophy in Corporate Secretaryship
- Business Economics
- Doctorate in Banking & Finance
In addition to these, there are numerous options for certificate courses in Tally, accounting, banking, office automation, stock market, and investment banking.
Although the eligibility criteria vary from college to college; here are a few things you need to keep in mind while pursuing a master’s in commerce –
- Students must have a B.Com degree from a recognized university/college.
- In addition to this, students must passed the entrance examination if the college has one.
- The minimum percentage should be according to the chosen university.
- Additionally, some institutes require students to have job experience.
All in all, the course is about numbers, calculations, graphs, and pie charts. Therefore, having analytical skills is extremely important to pursue this field. However, that is not the only required skill set, here are some other needs that will only help one perform better –
- Logical reasoning
- Leadership quality
- Computer skills
- Strong communication/verbal skills
- Understanding and remembering figures and facts
- Mathematical skills
Masters of commerce syllabus
As a matter of fact, the syllabus of M.Com includes a wide range of subjects, from business to accounting. However, the curriculum depends on the field of specialization the student chooses.
However, here are the primary subjects under M.Com –
- Corporate Governance
- Management and Financial Accounting
- Computer Applications in Commerce
- Business Environment & Policy
- Managerial Economics
- International Trade Theory & Practice
- Organizational Behaviour and Management Process
- Financial Management
- Elements of Income Tax
Top colleges for masters of commerce
As a matter of fact, some top educational institutes provide a top-notch education for this degree program. However, given below is the list of universities offering the best M.Com course:
- Victoria University – Melbourne, Australia
- University of California, Riverside Campus – Riverside, U.S.
- Western University – London & Canada
- The University of Adelaide – Adelaide, Australia
- AUT University – Auckland, New Zealand
Masters of commerce | Job opportunities
As a matter of fact, there are many sectors where students of M.Com can pursue their jobs. However, the most common ones are –
- Investment banking
- Marketing firms
- Import/export industry
- Consultancy firms
- Security firms
Masters of commerce | Job profiles
In addition to the job opportunities, many profiles are available with great payouts. Here are some examples of job profiles that you need to know of –
- Chief financial officer
- Investment analyst
- Business development manager
- Business consultant
Course Name | Masters of Commerce
Duration | Two years
Course level | Postgraduate
Eligibility Criteria | Undergraduate degree in B.Com, B.Com (H), B.A. Economics, etc.
Average Salary | $77,000
- Banking & finance
Top Job Profiles
- Investment banker
- M.Com is an affordable course available in top universities around the world.
- As a matter of fact, graduates of M.Com can be a part of different sectors, including finance and banking.
- In addition to this, you have a plethora of options available for further studies post this degree.
- All in all, an M.Com degree allows candidates to take competitive exams such as the civil service examination, finance, accounting department exams, etc.
- So, the opportunities are numerous after completing M.Com.
1. Can M.Com graduates become lawyers?
As a matter of fact, yes. M.Com graduates can pursue law if they are interested in tax law. Additionally, it makes them eligible to become corporate lawyers.
2. Which job is best after M.Com?
As has been noted, students prefer jobs in the banking and financial sectors after completing their M.Com degree.
3. Is M.Com a good career option for the future?
As a matter of fact, yes. M.Com is a respectable degree that requires immense hard work. All in all, it opens up an array of relevant job opportunities.