Table of Contents
Estimations reveal that there are approximately 1.2 million surgeons practicing globally. This number is only growing with an increase in healthcare facilities and advancements in technology.
A Master of Chirurgiae or MCh qualification is the highest level of a postgraduate qualification in the field of surgical science. In addition to being an extremely advanced & competitive doctoral/postgraduate degree, the course is also heavily research-oriented.
With this qualification, you will gain a strong technical understanding of different kinds of surgical procedures. You will also need to work in a very demanding and high-pressure environment to successfully complete this course.
Knowing everything about the MCh degree course will help you make an informed decision to support your academic career.
Keep reading to find out more!
Why should you pursue an MCh degree?
Some of the reasons why an MCh course can add to your resume include-
- The MCh course is offers training in all the fields within surgical science.
- As a part of the course, you will need to undertake research projects.
- The syllabus of the course is to train students on the skills, techniques, and technical knowledge required to perform surgeries.
- This qualification can also help you train aspiring surgeons in the different fields encompassed within surgical science.
- Some of the key areas of specialization within the MCh course include-
- Surgical Oncology
- Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery
- Neuro Surgery
- Cardiac Surgery
- General Surgery
- Additionally, with an MCh degree, you can expect a salary of between INR 10 lakhs to INR 15 lakhs per annum.
What is the MCh course syllabus?
You should refer to the syllabus of the MCh course and the university you are applying for. Going through the syllabus (which should be available on the university’s official website) can help you understand how the course is structured.
Some of the key topics covered in a typical MCh course include-
- Anatomical Techniques
- Dissection of the Human Body
- Gross Anatomy
- Biliary System
- Stomach & Duodenum
- Developmental Anatomy
- Applied Anatomy & Recent Advancements
The course will include a wide range of conceptual and traditional classroom-based learning.
Additionally, you will also gain exposure to the field with practicals, seminars, and compulsory projects/theses.
What is the duration of an MCh degree?
You can opt for the MCh course in two different ways. These are as follows-
- If you have completed your MBBS course, the MCh degree can be completed in 5 years. This can possibly extend to 6 years, depending on course work.
- If you have an MS qualification, an MCh course can be completed in 3 years. Given the current pandemic situation of the economy, you can complete your MCh course online in 2 years with a prior MS qualification.
What are the eligibility criteria for admission to an MCh degree?
There are certain eligibility criteria that you need to meet for the reputed MCh course.
These are as follows-
- For admission to the course, you will need to provide the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (Super Speciality Courses) score.
- You have to be an active part in a MS degree or receive an interim pass certificate within a specified timeframe.
- You will also need to register with the Medical Council of India (MCI) and the A document proof is essential for admission to the course.
- If you are a part of the Foreign Nationals group, you will receive a temporary registration from the MCI.
- If you have an MS qualification, you need to provide copies of your license as proof to the university authorities.
While registering for this course, it is important to note that the course duration and eligibility criteria can vary depending on the institution and degree.
What are the job opportunities I can consider with an MCh qualification?
One of the many reasons why the MCh degree is among the most important for the medical field is the plethora of professional opportunities available.
- After the completion of the MCh course, you can consider applying for fellowship programs to develop your skillset. To gain admission to a fellowship program, you need to create a remarkable portfolio with a strong academic record.
- There are several surgical practice opportunities available across the world if you want to practice medicine overseas.
- After an MCh course, you can also consider starting your own practice by opening a medical center. To do this, you will need to achieve the required experience.
- Another great career option that you can consider is that of a medical professor. With an MCh qualification, you are authorized to train future surgeons in the different fields within the surgical practice.
Top universities for MCh
Some of the top universities to pursue and MCh course are-
- National University of Ireland Galway
- Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland
- University of Melbourne, Australia
- Monash University, Canada
- The University of Sydney, Australia
- The Master of Chirurgiae or MCh degree is the highest level of postgraduate qualification for practicing surgeons.
- Pursuing an MCh course requires an in-depth clarity of how the course is structured, the syllabus, the eligibility criteria, and more.
- The course duration and eligibility criteria can vary from university to university and depending on your previous qualifications.
- There are a plethora of professional opportunities with an MCh qualification.
We hope you found this blog informative. Don’t forget to comment below and share your thoughts! You can also get in touch with us if you have any doubts.
Liked this blog? Read: Neurosurgeon | Everything you need to know about becoming one!
Q1. What is the difference between an MCh and an MS degree?
Answer – An MS degree is a typical postgraduate degree that can be completed by any medical professional after an MBBS. An MCh degree is a postdoctoral degree that can be taken up after an MBBS or MS course.
Q2. When is the NEET – SS exam this year?
Answer – The NEET – SS exam is conducted from the fourth week of February 2022 to the third week of March 2022.
Q3. Can I practice pediatric surgery with an MCh qualification?
Answer – Yes, an MCh qualification can allow you to specialize in pediatric surgery and other specializations in surgical science.