Table of Contents
As the name suggests, the course deals with the practical applications of Multimedia & Animation, which have a huge workforce requirement in domains such as content creation (movie making, documentaries etc), advertising and game designing, amongst others. Getting started with the course specifics, Master of Science in Multimedia & Animation is a heavily computer-based programme of study with a heavy emphasis on digital & print elements. Students understand the deep technicalities involved in making graphic intensive computer generated images. With huge workforce demand for skilled individuals in this field, MSc in Multimedia & Animation presents itself as a highly enticing field of study.
After gaining the educational prerequisites, individuals can explore the various professional opportunities available in the field. Following are just a few examples of the same:
- 2D/3D Animator: Animators are primarily involved with modeling and rendering animated characters & surroundings.
- Digital Artist: These artists create special effects, amongst other visual images, for use in commercial products such as games, movies and commercials, amongst others.
- AV Editor: Audio Visual Editors are entrusted with setting up and maintaining the equipment used in live events, which include tools such as mics, projectors, sound-mix equipment etc.
- Web Designer: A Web Designer creates the overall look & feel of a website. This job becomes a mix of graphic design + computer programming.
- Post Production Artist: A post production artist deals with the integration of special effects onto a specific piece of content (such as music videos & movies) after they have been shot, and are in the process of final editing.
List of top institutions to pursue MSc. In Multimedia & Animation globally
- Sheridan College, Canada: Regarded as the “Harvard of Animation”, the Sheridan College is a proud alma mater of 7 oscar award winners. The college offers over 130 programmes including diplomas, Undergraduate & Postgraduate study courses.
- Bournemouth University, England: Ranked amongst the top 10 in the world and best in the UK, Bournemouth University graduates have lent their skills to major motion pictures such as Avengers & Fantastic Beasts
- Emily Carr University of Art + Design, Canada: Offering diverse multidisciplinary courses of study, Emily Carr university is a great place to learn with top recruiters such as Walt Disney & Sony Pictures recruiting from campus
- University of Technology Sydney, Australia: Ranked 1st in Australia, UTS offers students the opportunities to learn through top of the line facilities such as custom-built studios.
- Royal College of Art London, England: The university offers cutting edge programmes with unique specializations to choose from, wherein students can choose to build their niche in a specific domain of their interest.
Eligibility for MSc Course
Most colleges offer these courses to graduates with a bachelor’s in any stream with at least 50% marks. Possessing a UG degree in Animation/Multimedia would greatly further your chances of gaining admission in an institute of your choice. Each college would have its own admission process, with most of them testing students based on written tests, studio tests and an interview. Colleges would also look to assess students based on their portfolio of projects and work they’ve undertaken in this field, hence having some experience in the field would stand you in good stead.
Subjects Covered in The Course
Over the two years/four semesters, students would be exposed to subjects such as:
- Drawing & Sketching
- Digital Image Processing
- Advance 3D Animation
- Graphic Design & Visual Arts
- Cartoon Animation
- Sound Editing
- Virtual Reality
In addition, the course provides the opportunity for enrolled students to put their learning into practice through hands-on projects such as short-film making.
These would not only provide enough context into each diverse application of multimedia & animation, but would provide a holistic base of knowledge for students to build on.
In closing, Multimedia & Animation is a field really coming into its own considering the boom in content creation & consumption. With newer formats of storytelling techniques being developed, Multimedia & Animation graduates will be in prime position to leverage their skills and lead the charge towards newer methods of content creation. Additionally, more lucrative opportunities await graduates with top recruiters looking to strengthen their technical teams with competent professionals who are equipped with a strong base of education.
- MSc in Multimedia & Animation is a multifaceted course that leverages growing digital opportunities.
- Studied over the course of 2 years, there exist ample public & private school options for students to choose from.
- There exist substantial employment opportunities in this field of study, with diverse domains open to aspirants.
Found this blog insightful? Please use the comments to write your thoughts and let us know what you would like to read about next.
Liked this blog? Read next: Basics of photojournalism
Q1. What are some of the prerequisite skills for this course?
Answer: Basic understanding of sketching, drawing and basic exposure to digital softwares would be a great place to start.
Q2. Can I learn these subjects by myself?
Answer: Sure, like most courses, subject knowledge about MSc is available online, but there would be a lack of guidance and institutional backing if you approached it by yourself.
Q3. Which college is regarded as the best in India for this field of study?
Answer: St. Xaviers Mumbai is regarded as the best in this field.