Table of Contents
In 2009, archeologists excavating a cave near Southern Germany discovered a flute carved from the wing bone of a vulture. This artifact is now recognized as one of the oldest musical instruments discovered in archeology. This means that human beings have created and listened to music for over 40,000 years!
Since music has inspired humans for generations, there are many quotes created around it. Reading different kinds of quotes, such as meditation quotes and motivational quotes, can be a great way to facilitate your understanding of a concept. Music quotes are no exception!
In 2023, as you explore the dynamic world of studying music abroad, let these 45 music quotes be your guide. They encapsulate the universal language of melody and harmony that transcends borders, inspiring you to pursue your passion on the global stage.
45 Music Quotes to Inspire You
- “How is it that music can, without words, evoke our laughter, our fears, our highest aspirations?” – Jane Swan
- “Music is like a dream. One that I cannot hear.” – Beethoven
- “The only truth is music.” – Jack Kerouac
- “Music is the shorthand of emotion.” – Leo Tolstoy
- “Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.” – Maya Angelou
- “Where words fail, music speaks.” – Hans Christian Andersen
- “Music is the universal language of mankind.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- “Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything.” – Plato
Yes, Plato’s quote is among the music quotes that stay true even today!
- “It’s almost charity work, what people have done, turning other people on to my music.” – John Mayer
- “Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” – Keith Richards
- “I wanted to prove the sustaining power of music.” – David Bowie
- “Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable.” – Leonard Bernstein
- “That’s why people listen to music or look at paintings. To get in touch with that wholeness.” – Corita Kent
- “Music is the emotional life of most people.” – Leonard Cohen
30 Music Quotes to go!
- “A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.” – Leopold Stokowski
- “If being an egomaniac means I believe in what I do and in my art or music, then in that respect you can call me that . . . I believe in what I do, and I’ll say it.” – John Lennon
John Lennon’s quote is among the music quotes that showcase the incredible passion of musicians!
- “Music is the language of the spirit. It opens the secret of life bringing peace, abolishing strife.” – Kahlil Gibran
Kahlil Gibran is a prolific writer whose perspective on music is highlighted with one of the most popular music quotes of all time!
- “You have to take a deep breath, and allow the music to flow through you. Revel in it, allow yourself to awe. When you play, allow the music to break your heart with its beauty.” – Kelly White
- “Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can’t.” – Johnny Depp
- “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.” – Aldous Huxley
- “If music be the food of love, play on.” – William Shakespeare
- ““Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.” – Thomas Fuller
- “The cool thing about music is that no one can take music away from you, writing-wise.” – Darren Criss
- “Without music, life is a journey through a desert.” – Pat Conroy
- “Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once.” – Robert Browning
- “Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.” – Confucius
- “My music fights against the system that teaches to live and die.” – Bob Marley
- “Music is the strongest form of magic.” – Marilyn Manson
- “Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.” – Lao Tzu
15 Powerful Music Quotes More!
- “Music is something that should speak for itself, straight from the heart. It took me a long time to understand that.” – Damon Albarn
- “Music sounds different to the one who plays it. It is the musician’s curse.” – Patrick Rothfuss
- “I love the way music inside a car makes you feel invisible; if you play the stereo at max volume, it’s almost like other people can’t see into your vehicle. It tints your windows, somehow.” – Chuck Klosterman
- “When you play, never mind who listens to you.” – Robert Schumann
- “Music is what tell us that the human race is greater than we realize.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
- “Music is for every single person that walks the planet.” – Robert Plant
- “You are the music while the music lasts.” – T. S. Eliot
- “Music is the art of the prophets and the gift of God.” – Martin Luther
- “I’ve found that no matter what life throws at me, music softens the blow.” – Bryce Anderson
- “Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life.” – Beethoven
- “To live is to be musical, starting with the blood dancing in your veins. Everything living has a rhythm. Do you feel your music?” – Michael Jackson
- “Some people have lives; some people have music.” – John Green
- “Music brings a warm glow to my vision, thawing mind and muscle from their endless wintering.” – Haruki Murakami
- “Music drives you. It wakes you up, it gets you pumping. And, at the end of the day, the correct tune will chill you down.” – Dimebag Darrell
- “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.” – Bob Marley
- Music is recognized for its unique power over individuals’ physical, mental, and emotional health.
- The human race has engaged in creating and listening to music for over 40,000 years (recorded to date).
- Several research studies have revealed that music is an excellent way to unite people and create a sense of social connectedness.
- Music can also help regulate oxytocin, serotonin, cortisol, and dopamine.
- The above-listed music quotes can keep you inspired and help you enjoy your favorite tunes even better!
We hope you found this blog informative. Don’t forget to comment below and tell us which quote is your favorite! You can also get in touch with us if you have any doubts.
Liked this blog? Read: The World’s Top 5 Schools to Study Music
Q1. What is dopamine?
Answer – Dopamine is the neurotransmitter associated with “reward” and pleasure centers. Listening to music you like can trigger the release of this chemical, which can play a role in your mental and emotional health.
Q2. Can I listen to music to help me feel less anxious?
Answer – Absolutely! Listening to soothing music can be a great way to get your anxiety under control. See what works for you and try different genres or even your favorite song and see if you feel less anxious.
Q3. Is there evidence that music can help reduce fatigue?
Answer – Researchers at Shanghai University conducted a study in 2015. The study revealed that relaxing music significantly reduced fatigue and maintained muscle endurance when individuals were engaged in repetitive tasks.