College interview tips | Your university interview checklist!
The university admissions interview is a very important part of most university applications. To ensure that you thoroughly impress the Admissions officer over a video call, here are some top college interview tips to follow.
The moment of the truth has arrived: you are about to be interviewed for your application to study at a foreign university. The thought of an interview makes most students feel incredibly nervous. Universities use platforms such as Skype, Google, or Whatsapp to conduct interviews with international students. Face-to-face interviews are by themselves something to be worried about, but when technology gets in the way, the challenges double and this can truly increase your levels of anxiety. Following these upcoming college interview tips will go a long way to help you ace your interview.
Sometimes during video or Skype calls, you can’t even see the face of the person asking you questions, so you don’t fully understand the interviewer’s body language. And you’re unsure if what you are saying and the way you speak is playing for or against you.
But the right preparation can solve those worries. If you get prepared with anticipation, you can manage your words and express your thoughts coherently. Your end goal is to convince your interviewer that you are a fitting candidate to study in the institution. In this article, we provide you with some fantastic tips to help you overcome your fears and be confident while chatting with the interviewer across a computer or phone.
Here’s your checklist of college interview tips:
- Prepare answers to basic questions – Before the meeting, it is a good idea to ask yourself in advance what sort of questions you are likely to be asked. Prepare your answers to some of these basic university interview questions. This will help you have a better management of your emotions during the interview.
- Test your equipment – Have your phone/computer fully charged and ensure your camera and other equipment works in an optimal way. Technical interruptions during interviews tend to have a negative effect on the interviewer. Don’t forget to test your speakers beforehand.
- Set up your location – Fix a place where you will take your interview. Do practice sessions using the same place, chair, and table that you will be using. This will program your mind and help reduce your stress. Ensure the place
- Practice, Practice, Practice – Have a friend or someone you trust, rehearse the interview with you. Ask them to not only evaluate your responses but also your voice, tone and expressions. The best way is to ask them to score you on a scale of 10 on your confidence, clarity, expressions, and overall thought process.
- Your Plan B – Keep your thoughts next to you on a small piece of paper. At some point during the interview if you forget something you, you can refer to the piece of paper; in this manner you can be easily back on track with just a little look at it. Don’t worry, the interviewer will appreciate your preparedness and most likely won’t judge you. Everyone’s been through this and I’m sure your interviewer had interview anxiety themselves at some point.
- Dress appropriately – If the interview is conducted through Skype, get dressed for the occasion, as for any normal interview. Through the camera, the interviewer may notice more than you think, so the way you look is very important. Don’t overdress with a tie (men) or a suit. It good to show up in business casuals. If you need more help try this link
- Hydrate and chill out – After all, you have nothing to lose. Take the interview with a pinch of salt. The interviewer is under as much pressure as you are. Friendlier casual conversations lead to better results. Drink enough water and breathe deeply before you start your interview.
We’re sure you will impress the interviewer if you follow these college interview tips. Do you want a more customized assessment for your interview? iSchoolConnect can make it happen!
Our extensive platform, always updated with the newest offers, requirements and procedures for students all over the world who want to study abroad, has a user-friendly system that gets you in touch with the most prestigious universities, academies and colleges and makes available for you an accurate and reliable first glance on what these institutions are and what they expect from their applicants. We provide you with all the information and assessment you need to be successful during your application and interview, so to increase exponentially your chances to be accepted. Allow yourself the opportunity to become a citizen of the world through us. Join us!