Table of Contents
- What is physiotherapy?
- Why should you pursue a physiotherapy course?
- Eligibility criteria
- What physiotherapy degrees can you pursue?
- Best schools in the world to study physiotherapy
- What topics are included in a physiotherapy course?
- How will you be evaluated during the programme?
- What are the postgraduate opportunities in a physiotherapy course?
- How much do physiotherapy graduates earn on average globally?
- Career prospects
- Key Takeaways
Physiotherapist courses are a component of a paramedical program. It prepares students to treat patients to enhance their mobility, physical function, and general health. Therefore, a physiotherapist helps physically challenged people who struggle with rehabilitation, injury prevention, and general health and fitness.
What is physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is a field of medicine that focuses on helping people with mobility problems. It also seeks to improve patients’ quality of life by assisting mobility and functioning through physical intervention. Physiotherapists are crucial in the treatment of a variety of ailments, including-
- Neuromusculoskeletal (sports injuries, arthritis)
- Neurological (stroke, Parkinson’s)
- Cardiovascular (rehabilitation after a heart attack)
- Respiratory (asthma, cystic fibrosis)
Regularly, physiotherapists interact with patients. They help them through exercise and massages with the use of specialized equipment. They additionally provide treatment regimens and offer advice on how to avoid damage.
Why should you pursue a physiotherapy course?
- Job Growth– Working as a physical therapist can lead to a significant increase in earning potential in a limited period of time.
- Countless Opportunities- After finishing the courses, candidates will be able to work in a range of businesses; including defense medical institutions, fitness centers, orthopedic departments, and also handicapped rehabilitation centers.
- Help Others– One obvious motivation to study physiotherapy is to assist those who are in pain. In fact, a physiotherapist can even improve a person’s quality of life by efficiently treating a variety of critical health issues.
The requirements for physiotherapy eligibility differ from one institute to another. Wherein all UG and PG students must pass the 10+2 test. But, to apply for a PG Diploma, completing undergraduate studies is a requirement. However, specific colleges may not need it.
Physical therapists are in high demand in every hospital and health care institution. They play an essential role in helping patients recover after surgical operations. Physiotherapists additionally play an important role in sports since they help players recover from injuries.
- Assessing and evaluating a client’s health and the best route of therapy using theoretical and critical thinking skills;
- Ability to analyze and treat patients using a variety of approaches, including Gait analysis;
- Lastly, be able to communicate with patients and other members of the healthcare team.
What physiotherapy degrees can you pursue?
Physiotherapy courses are accessible at several educational levels. This includes certificate courses in physiotherapy, diploma in physiotherapy courses, undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degrees. Physiotherapy includes degrees focusing on sports rehabilitation, such as-
- BSc in Physiotherapy
- BSc in Sports Rehabilitation
- Integrated Masters in Physiotherapy (MSc)
- BSc in Clinical Exercise and Rehabilitation Science
- BSc in Strength, Conditioning, and Rehabilitation
- MSc in Physiotherapy
- MD in Physiotherapy
Best schools in the world to study physiotherapy
- The University of Delaware
- University of Pittsburgh
- The University of Southern California
- Washington University in St. Louis
- Emory University
- Northwestern University
- University of Iowa
- MGH Institute of Health Professions
- U.S. Army-Baylor University
- Duke University
What topics are included in a physiotherapy course?
The following are examples of typical physiotherapy course subjects –
- Physiotherapy in today’s world
- Theoretical and practical aspects of physiotherapy
- Fundamentals of anatomy and clinical practice
- Rehabilitation after an injury
- Exercise, health, and sports psychology
- Motor control and deterioration
- Practice with the musculoskeletal system
- The cardiorespiratory system of humans
How will you be evaluated during the programme?
While on placement, you will be rigorously examined based on a framework of knowledge and abilities that will be clearly described to you once you start the course. Other techniques of evaluation include:
- Presentations of case studies
- Obviously, Exams are a must (written and practical).
- MCQ-Multiple choice questions
- Evidence portfolios
- Presentations on Posters
- Also, an examination of the video.
What are the postgraduate opportunities in a physiotherapy course?
Some of the various postgraduate opportunities in physiotherapy are as follows –
- Advanced Physiotherapy: Cardiorespiratory MSc
- Physiotherapy PhD
- Exercise as Medicine, MSc
- Sports Physiotherapy MSc.
How much do physiotherapy graduates earn on average globally?
Physiotherapy graduates may expect to earn roughly $34,750 as an entry-level income. In contrast, those who specialize or take on management jobs with experience might earn $64,000 to $102,900. You may also open your practice and work for yourself. In addition, sports therapists might make anything from $32,700 to $61,327 per year.
Candidates who complete physiotherapy programs can choose from various challenging job opportunities. Moreover, physiotherapists can specialize in various fields, including neurology, orthopedics, geriatrics, and cardiorespiratory medicine. Additionally, after completing any physiotherapy degree, candidates have the option of continuing their studies up to the Ph.D. level.
The majority of physiotherapy students go on to work as professional physiotherapists. You might also look into joining the military services, sports, and fitness, research, or teaching. Physiotherapy specialties include –
- Intensive care
- Geriatric medicine
- Mental health
- Outpatients care
- Stroke services
- Physiotherapy is a prosperous and rewarding profession. People with a Physiology degree (from BPT to PhD.) go through a wide range of practical and theoretical courses, preparing them to begin their career path.
- Physiotherapy graduates can work in a variety of settings; not only in hospitals but in sports facilities as well.
- Physiotherapists use their broad understanding of the profession to assist patients in finding relief from pain and improving their health. This job is seen as honorable simply because it serves the most basic of human wants, which is to remain healthy.
- A physiotherapist’s typical income is significantly more than that of an employee with a regular bachelor’s degree. A person with a degree in Physiotherapy can work in both the commercial and public sectors and earn a decent wage. However, you may potentially make more money if you open your own physiotherapy clinic.
- Lastly, people have faith in physiotherapists. Physiotherapy professionals have gained a reputation for being safe and trusted professionals since they help individuals get rid of pain and improve their lives.
Liked this Blog? Read BSc Nursing | Why it’s the best career option for you!
Feel free to reach out to us regarding any queries about pursuing your education abroad!
Q1. Is it possible to study physiotherapy courses online?
Answer – Many physiotherapy courses are available part-time, online, or through distance learning. While most bachelor’s degrees in physiotherapy involve full-time study, alternative certifications might be more flexible as well as beneficial for people who already have jobs or families.
Q2. What is the physiotherapy course duration?
Answer – The duration of UG physiotherapy studies ranges from 3 to 4 years. The postgraduate physiotherapy programs last two years. Ph.D. programs last between 3 and 5 years.
Q3. Is it beneficial to pursue physiotherapy courses?
Answer – Completing physiotherapy courses is worthwhile. Candidates with a physiotherapy degree stand out among the rest of the crowd.
Q4. Is it possible for me to receive a scholarship to pursue physiotherapy programs?
Answer – Financial assistance is available from several online certification programs. You can also obtain financial assistance from various financial institutions for education.