Table of Contents
About Robert Gordon University
Robert Gordon University is a global knowledge hub that consistently outperforms its mission to educate future generations through impactful methods. It is a renowned public university that is generously funded and supported by tuition fees, investments, and private donors to meet the needs of modern society.
Since its inception in 1992, Robert Gordon University has produced outstanding results in terms of education and career opportunities. Throughout its illustrious history, Robert Gordon University (RGU) made significant contributions to innovation and research in various fields.
Why study at Robert Gordon University?
Here’s why you should study at Robert Gordon University-
- The university offers diverse courses through its various schools. The courses offered are up to date on the most recent developments in the respective disciplines. They train the students to learn, grow, and evolve into well-informed professionals under the supervision of outstanding faculty members.
- Robert Gordon University values creativity and innovation to make ideas a reality. It holds the credit for producing many leaders and trendsetters with prestigious positions worldwide today. Robert Gordon University (RGU) aspires to maintain its tradition of providing the best to its students while setting and exceeding new goals each day.
- The university is a Gold Standard institution by the Teaching Excellence Framework, putting it in the top 20% of the best universities in the UK for quality teaching, learning, support, and graduate employability.
- With 97.6% of graduates entering employment or further study within six months of graduation, the university ranks first in Scotland for graduate employability.
- The university ranks 2nd in the UK for Physiotherapy (The Telegraph, 2019).
- Robert Gordon University ranks 1st in Scotland for Librarianship Information Management (Complete University Guide, 2020).
Robert Gordon University ranking
Here is the ranking for the university-
- Ranks 65th in the Times University Guide 2023
- Ranks 93rd in the Guardian University Guide 2023
- Ranks 801-1000th in QS Global World Ranking in 2023
- Ranks 1001+ in the list of World University Rankings in 2023 by Times Higher Education
- Ranks 351-400th in the list of Young University Rankings in 2022 Times Higher Education
- Ranks 151-200th in the list of European Teaching Rankings in 2019 by Times Higher Education
Programs at the university
Robert Gordon University offers 114 undergraduate programs and 111 graduate programs. RGU offers an MBA master’s degree in Business Administration program that is both on-campus and online, an MBA in Oil and Gas Management specialist degree, and an MBA in Sustainability and Energy Transitions.
It is one of the top ten universities in the UK for overall student satisfaction (National Student Survey 2022). The university takes pride in its student-centered approach and inclusive and welcoming learning environment.
It provides courses in various subjects such as computing, art and design, creative industries, engineering, business and law, health professions, and architecture and the built environment.
Some of the courses at the university are as follows-
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A), Accounting and Finance
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A), International Business Management
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A), International Tourism Management
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A), Management with Marketing
- Bachelor of Science (B.S), Nursing – Adult
- Master of Science (M.S), Accounting and Finance
- Master of Science (M.S), Financial Management
- Master of Science (M.S), Human Resource Management
- Master of Science (M.S), Cyber Security
- Master of Science (M.S), Computer Science
Academic schools at Robert Gordon University
The university comprises 11 academic schools that offer degrees in various fields such as, business, engineering, architecture, the built environment, computing, law, nursing, health professions, and art and design. All schools provide flexible study options, whether on campus or online, full-time or part-time. The university develops all degrees in close collaboration with industry.
- Aberdeen Business School
- School of Applied Social Studies
- School of Computing Science & Digital Media
- School of Creative & Cultural Business
- School of Engineering
- Gray’s School of Art
- School of Health Sciences
- The Law School
- School of Nursing & Midwifery
- School of Pharmacy & Life Sciences
- The Scott Sutherland School of Architecture & Built Environment
Campus at the university
- RGU has a single campus in Aberdeen, in the southwestern suburbs of Garthdee, next to the River Dee.
- It has a University Library, 2,500 IT workstations, a physiotherapy clinic, graphics and printing facilities, various food outlets, the Treehouse Early Care Centre, and the RGU Sports Center. It includes a swimming pool, a climbing wall, three gyms, and much more.
- The school has 16,000 students, with 11,000 undergraduates and 5,000 postgraduates.
- RGU student-athletes have access to over 32 campus sports clubs.
- Scottish Student Sport (SSS) and British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) competitions are open to RGU students.
- You will find many student groups at Robert Gordon University, through the students’ union, including sports clubs, societies, student media, fundraising for charity, and community volunteers.
Student services at the university
Here are a few services offered by the university-
- Robert Gordon University has bike parking, showers, and changing rooms for cyclists, which you may use when cycling to campus.
- All the main buildings on the Garthdee Campus have food outlets, each with a slightly different menu.
- The University’s design and print consultancy, The Gatehouse, provides all design and print-related functions to academic and support departments and student and commercial enterprises.
- Approximately 2,500 IT workstations serve a user population of approximately, 9,000 full-time students and 1,500 staff members.
- The Law Clinic provides free, confidential, and dependable legal advice to members of the local community who cannot otherwise obtain legal services.
- The highly experienced team of Chartered Physiotherapists provides a comprehensive range of therapies, evidence-based treatments, and advice to help reduce symptoms and disrupt your daily life. RGU students and staff are welcome.
- RGU SPORT is our outstanding on-campus athletic facility. There are a variety of classes available for all fitness levels, a swimming pool, a climbing wall, and three gyms.
- The University’s leading graduate employment record demonstrates its emphasis on professional education. It ranked as the best graduate prospect of any university several times in recent years, and continues to rank first among modern universities.
- Many campus services and facilities are available to the local community, students, and staff members.
- The university has a single campus, Garthdee Campus, which is adjacent to the River Dee.
- The campus houses all of its 11 schools and departments.
- In the 2023 QS World Universities Rankings, Robert Gordon University ranks #801-1000.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your views and perspectives in the comments below. Please contact us by clicking here for more information on Robert Gordon University. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Wilfrid Laurier University | Programs, admission, and more
Q1. If the course is online, do you need to come to Aberdeen at any time during the course?
Answer- No, the course is entirely online, with no classes in Aberdeen. The only exception is if you choose to take the Mediation in Practice module, which includes a weekend workshop on campus. This module is optional, so if you are unable or do not wish to attend the university, you can select another module.
Q2. How long does it take to hear back from RGU?
Answer- If the application contains all the information required for the university to make a decision, they will be able to do so within five working days. If you applied online, they can begin processing your application as soon as they receive the necessary supporting documents.
Q3. Since a Scottish University teaches the courses, is Scots Law only taught on the course?
Answer- They teach the course from the UK law perspective. Employment law is the same all over the UK. The only differences between the two jurisdictions are in contract law and delict/ tort aspects, which are minor and noted. They cover EU employment law and international and regional human rights law at appropriate parts of the course. Although, the content is predominantly on the basis of UK law.