Table of Contents
Fluency in English has become a necessity to reach a global audience. Almost 360 million people have English as their first language, and 1.35 billion can speak English worldwide. Learning a new language can be overwhelming, but English is considered the easiest of all the languages. You can discover the ways on how to speak English fluently through this blog
It has simple grammar rules that you need to follow while speaking. You can learn to write basic English in school or college. Speaking fluently in English is another story. You can achieve this fluency with these easy steps.
The 5 simple steps to being fluent in English
Learning any language needs patience and consistency. You can’t learn English overnight. It will take some time and effort. It can be difficult initially, but you will soon get there. Just take a deep breath and go step-by-step.
Let’s go through the following 5 steps to master the English language.
Read, listen, and watch
This is the sequence that a child follows while learning to speak. You can learn to speak fluent English by reading books, listening to English music, and watching Hollywood movies. You can watch British dramas if you want to elevate your word game.
When you watch a movie, read subtitles and try to understand the sentence construction. The dialogs contain informal English, an excellent source for learning how to interact. You can Google the meanings of words to help you understand.
Reading always helps with learning new words and phrases. You can even learn how to write English in its correct grammatical form. Listening has the same effect as reading. Music is an excellent way of communication. It can also be a source of learning English.
Think in English
This is the basic need for learning any language. If you think in your mother tongue and translate it to English, it will be harder to construct a sentence. Try to think in English. You will take less time to create a sentence and speak it confidently.
It can be difficult at first, but your mind is already capable of thinking in multiple languages. You just need to practice and train it to think in English.
Speak in English
Start speaking in English from day one. If you think you can only speak when you finish learning, it won’t help. You need to start speaking English to understand your progress and where you are lacking. You may make some mistakes at first. It is okay; keep trying.
Here are some ways you can practice speaking in English.
- You can start talking with your friends who are fluent in English. They can even give you feedback to improve your skills.
- Get a personal tutor who can correct your mistakes and help you learn English effectively.
- There are plenty of English learning applications available on Playstore and Appstore. You can install one and start your journey of learning English.
- This is the trick that actors and news anchors use. Write a paragraph in English or take a paragraph from a newspaper or a book. Try to read it out loud in front of the mirror. Eventually, try talking without the paper. Speak your mind in front of yourself.
Work on pronunciation
It is essential to talk correctly. You can speak English with different accents and pronunciations. It becomes hard to understand for the other person if you mispronounce words. It may be inter[reted as a flaw in your communication skills.
The pronunciations differ between American English and British English. When you learn to be fluent in English, you must train your mouth and tongue to move a certain way and make exact pronunciation. It may still have a glimpse of your native language, but with practice, you will learn to speak clearly.
Become comfortable with the language
You may make several mistakes while learning English. You may think at some point that you aren’t good at it, or you should give up. It becomes pretty uncomfortable with that feeling. Making this feeling turn into confidence is the destination of this journey.
Accept that you can feel uncomfortable while learning or practicing English. It will be embarrassing at first to communicate entirely in English with someone. It is alright. We can only learn from our mistakes and improve our communication skills.
Regardless of the time you may take to become fluent in English; you can follow these steps. They will help you be more skilled and perfect with greater communication power.
- How to be fluent in English is a troubling question for most of us. With the steps mentioned above, you can easily learn to speak English.
- While learning to speak English, you must also build your confidence. Without the confidence to speak, your knowledge of English will remain to yourself.
- You need to consider the time it will take to be fluent in English. Many can promise to make you fluent in a week or so, but only you can decide your learning speed.
We hope you found this information useful. Write to us your comments. Click here to read more such articles.
Liked this blog? Read next: English grammar book: Importance and 5 best picks
Q1. Which is the most difficult language to learn?
Answer: Mandarin is considered the most difficult language to learn.
Q2. What is the language similar to English?
Answer: Frisian is known to be a similar language to English.
Q3. Which language is known as the sweetest?
Answer: Bengali is known as the sweetest language in the world.