Table of Contents
Spring Hill College | An overview
Spring Hill College is the first private higher educational institution in Mobile, Alabama. It was founded in 1830 and is the oldest Catholic college in the Southeastern United States. The university is rooted in Jesuit educational values, where they strive to serve the faith in God and achieve a life of justice. The college offers a well-rounded education in undergraduate and graduate programs in arts, business, theology, and more. The university is also operational as one of the affordable institutions in Alabama.
As a Jesuit institution, the college is dedicated to promoting spiritual, intellectual, and social development. The university aims to forge leaders who promote faith, service, and justice in life. The spring international college campus is located on 381 acres in a residential area of Mobile with over 40 buildings, including historic structures. With a student-faculty ratio of 13:1 and an average class size of 16, students receive personalized attention and support from their professors.
Sneak peek into the history of Spring Hill College
Spring Hill College was founded by Michael Portier in 1830. He was Mobile’s first Catholic bishop, who purchased 300 acres of land to build a seminary and board school for the students. The boarding school intended to provide a classical education to 12-year-olds driven by morals and values. Portier hired two priests and around four seminarians to teach the students. Moreover, he taught Greek subjects to the students until he was able to bring more teachers on board.
With educational development, the demand for education struck high, and Portier had to extend the age limit of the students and even improve the infrastructure of the school. Consequently, the development continued until the school became the Spring Hill College we know of!
Why go for Spring Hill College in Alabama?
Spring Hill College continues to make its mark among the top colleges for students to pursue higher education. There are other plausible reasons that make this university a top choice for achieving educational excellence. Some of them are –
- Strong academics: It is a well-respected liberal arts college with a rigorous academic program and offers a range of majors and minors and opportunities for undergraduate research and study-abroad initiatives for its students.
- Catholic identity: Being a Jesuit institution, Spring Hill is rooted in the Catholic tradition and emphasizes service, social justice, and intellectual curiosity. Spring Hill would be an ideal option for students who value these principles.
- Location: Spring Hill College is located in Mobile, Alabama, a vibrant city with a rich history and culture. Additionally, the college is close to both the Gulf of Mexico and the Mississippi River, which offers plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities.
- Size of operations: With just under 1,500 undergraduate students, Spring Hill College is a small school that serves a close-knit community and gives personalized attention.
- Financial aid: It is committed to making education accessible to students from all backgrounds. Spring Hill offers a range of financial aid options, including scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study programs.
Academic programs at Spring Hill College
This college offers undergraduate degrees in over 40 subjects, including business, education, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences. Moreover, the college also offers graduate degrees in education, business administration, and theology. Some of the notable majors are as follows –
- Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services
- Health Professions and Related Programs
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Liberal Arts and Sciences, General Studies and Humanities
- Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Communication, Journalism, and Related Programs
- English Language and Literature/Letters
Every year, many students apply to this college from the country or around the globe. Additionally, the process is made selective for both national and international students admission. The admission requirements are as follows-
- SAT score in the range 970-1060
- ACT score in the range 17-21
- The average high school GPA should be 3.5
- TOEFL score should be 45 and above
- IELTS score should be 5.0 and above
- SOP and LOR
Spring Hill College ranking
Spring Hill College ranks 7th in the “Regional Colleges South” and 12th in the “Best Value Schools in Alabama”. The university is among the top performers in social mobility, with a ranking of 62. According to the 2022 statistics, experts expect the university’s rankings to rise in the coming years.
Spring Hill College’s notable alumni
The university was home to some of the inspirational leaders who made a bigger impact in many fields of their community. Some of them are-
- Dr. Bryan Bertucci: Physician
- Olaf Fink: American politician and educator
- Charles Maurian: Chess player
- Ann Bedsole: American Politician
- Dr. Joseph Mille: Biologist
- Charles Maurian: Chess player
- Dr. Mary Catherine Phelan: Founder and director of the Molecular Pathology Laboratory
Here is everything about Spring Hill College we have covered so far –
- The college was founded by Michael Portier in the year 1830.
- The college is among the top universities owing to its strong academics, catholic identity, athletics, financial aid provision, etc.
- The university provides various courses in majors like business, management, marketing, health professions, communication, journalism, and more
- The candidates must have good SAT and ACT scores and an average GPA score to reserve their admission to Spring Hill.
- The university enjoys considerable rankings and ratings. It is ranked 7 in the Regional Colleges South and 12 in the Best Value Schools in Alabama.
- The college has many notable alums making significant contributions to healthcare, politics, education, etc.
Hopefully, this blog has provided some insight into Spring Hill College’s rich history as well as information on the courses it offers and the application requirements. Please feel free to reach out with any questions or suggestions in the comments section.
Click here to connect with our counselors for more information about studying abroad.
Liked this blog? Read Next: Top 5 reasons to study at the University of Alabama.
Q- What is the Spring Hill College acceptance rate?
The acceptance rate of Spring Hill College is 72%.
Q- How many activities are there in the Spring Hill College athletics fraternity?
Spring Hill College has over 43 sports teams in sports like golf, soccer, tennis, basketball, volleyball, and others.
Q- What are Spring Hill College’s application requirements for undergraduate courses?
The application requirements for undergraduate students start from filling out the common application form, submitting transcripts from high school, SAT or ACT scores, LOR, SOP, English proficiency scores, and financial stability proof.
Q- What is the location of Spring Hill College?
Spring Hill College is located at 4000 Dauphin St., Mobile, Alabama, 36608.