Table of Contents
- What is a permanent residency in Australia?
- Advantages of a permanent resident in Australia
- Australian permanent residency requirements
- What are the steps for permanent residency in Australia?
- Step 1- Determine your eligibility
- Step 2- Get your language test results
- Step 3- Sign up for SkillSelect and submit your Expression of Interest (EOI)
- Step 4- Obtain your skills assessment report from SkillSelect
- Step 5- Getting an invitation to apply (ITA)
- Step 6- Submit your application for a PR
- Step 7- Present your character and health certifications
- Eligibility to apply for permanent residency in Australia
- Key takeaways
Australia has long been the most popular destination for people who want to migrate abroad. The nation benefits from a strong economy, which means more job prospects. Australian immigration is becoming increasingly popular among people because of the better quality of life and multicultural society. However, few of them are familiar with Australia’s PR procedure. If you want permanent residency in Australia, this article will guide you through the easy steps.
What is a permanent residency in Australia?
An Australia PR is a Permanent Residency Visa that enables you to live, work, and study there permanently, using a point-based immigration system. Having an Australian PR has multiple advantages, and you can also apply for Australian citizenship after three years as a PR holder. Now that you know what an Australian PR Visa is, let’s explore the advantages of holding a PR in Australia.
Advantages of a permanent resident in Australia
- You can live and travel anywhere in Australia.
- You can pursue higher education and apply for specific student loans in Australia.
- After having two years of an Australian PR visa, you are qualified for Social Security benefits.
- Visiting New Zealand and even applying for a visa there is possible.
Australian permanent residency requirements
For an Australia permanent visa, you have to provide the following
- Valid passport.
- Filled permanent visa application form.
- Authorized recipient form (if applicable).
- Proof of payment of a base fee.
- Recent photographs.
- National ID.
- Police clearance.
- Civil documents.
- Proof of financial stability.
- Health insurance.
- A written invite (if applicable).
- Requirement for character certificate.
What are the steps for permanent residency in Australia?
Step 1- Determine your eligibility
In the beginning, you must determine whether or not you qualify for a PR visa. Regardless of the visa category, you apply for; you must take care of the following
Must include the occupation in the skilled occupation List.
The age requirement is 45 or younger.
Reach a minimum of 65 points on the scoring grid, where you are assessed based on age, education, work experience, and other variables.
Step 2- Get your language test results
Complete your English language competency test in this step. The IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE are the three available Language Proficiency Tests.
For IELTS, you should have a score of 7 or above
For TOEFL, you should have a score of 25 or above
For PTE, you should have a score of 65 or above
Step 3- Sign up for SkillSelect and submit your Expression of Interest (EOI)
The most crucial phase of your Australian PR journey is this one. Expressions of Interest (EOI) must be submitted through Australia’s SkillSelect website. This is how you let the Australian Government know if you’re interested in applying for a PR visa.
You will receive an invitation to apply for a visa based on EOI and variables like your English proficiency score, educational background, and the years you have worked in a particular industry.
How to submit your EOI to SkillSelect-
- Make a profile for yourself on the SkillSelect Portal.
- Log in
- Choose your visa category.
- Fill in your IELTS score there.
- Fill in your educational background.
- Fill in your employment history.
- Submit your declaration form.
Step 4- Obtain your skills assessment report from SkillSelect
In the third step, you must have your academic and professional credentials examined.
Receive a “SkillSelect” evaluation.
Selection Factors: Age, education, English proficiency, work experience, and a willingness to remain are all selection criteria.
The process lasts 8 to 10 weeks
Costs are around $2815.00. (INR 2,07,203 approx.)
Australia compares your foreign education with its Australian equivalency. You can do this by sending your transcripts to the designated body called Skill Select.
You must then attach your Skill Select report to your Expression of Interest (EOI).
Step 5- Getting an invitation to apply (ITA)
You can now relax and wait for your invitation to apply (ITA).
An ITA gives applicants the highest EOI ranking.
You are only one step away from obtaining your PR visa if you receive an ITA.
Step 6- Submit your application for a PR
The next step is to submit your Australia PR visa within 60 days of receiving your ITA.
Step 7- Present your character and health certifications
For stamping your visa, you will also need to present extra documents such as your character and health clearance certificates and passport.
Eligibility to apply for permanent residency in Australia
The necessary eligibility requirements to process your Australia PR visa are
When applying, the applicant must be at least under 45 years old.
Candidates must have their abilities evaluated by the immigration authorities before making immigration plans to Australia.
Calculator for PR Points
According to Australia’s PR points grid, you must receive at least 65 points.
A primary need for any application is to possess a skill listed on the Skilled Occupation List.
Language proficiency in English
Candidates must demonstrate at least adequate English language proficiency.
It is crucial to present character certifications attesting to your lack of criminal history.
The health evaluation report is crucial to certifying your national health.
- Obtaining Australian permanent residence allows you to remain in the country indefinitely, as the initial 5-year.
- The Australian immigration pathways are open to anyone from any country.
- The PR visa allows holders to live, work, and stay in the country, but they cannot apply for government jobs.
Did you enjoy this blog? If yes, please share your thoughts in the comments below. Click here to reach out to us for more information on how to get permanent residency in Australia. We would be happy to assist you with your queries!
Liked this blog? Read next: 9 best cities to work in Australia
Q1. What is the difference between Australian citizens and permanent residents?
Answer- Australian citizens have an automatic right of entry to Australia; permanent residents do not and must have a valid travel authority. Australian citizens have a right to vote, whereas permanent residents do not.
Q2. What is the age limit for permanent residency in Australia?
Answer- To be eligible to apply for permanent residency in Australia, you must be younger than 45 years old.
Q3. Which Australian regions are ideal for PR?
Answer- The best regional areas for PR in Australia are Perth, Gold Coast, Byron Bay, Sunshine Coast, Adelaide, and Cairns.