Table of Contents
- About post-study work visas, Canada
- Quick facts about PGWP
- Who is eligible to apply for work in Canada?
- How to apply for PGWP
- How long is the processing time for a post-study work visa?
- What are the fees?
- For how long is it valid?
- Can you get permanent residence in Canada with a PGWP?
- Key takeaways
About post-study work visas, Canada
Post-graduation work permits (PGWPs) are open work visas granted to international students who complete a program of study in Canada. The permit gives its holders the freedom to work wherever they want, for any organization, and for how many hours they want. Post Graduate Work Permits are an excellent method to gain priceless Canadian work experience. Once a candidate works in Canada, many ways for obtaining Canadian permanent residence become available. Let’s find out more about post-study work visa in Canada.
Quick facts about PGWP
Here are quick facts about post-study work visas for Canada-
- The duration of a post-graduation employment visa might vary from eight months to three years.
- The length of a PGWP must be within the applicant’s time spent studying in Canada.
- The PGWP will mostly last up to three years and be almost equal in length to the applicant’s education term.
- You are qualified for a PGWP equal to the length of your program of study as long as you complete more than 50% of your program through on-campus instruction.
Who is eligible to apply for work in Canada?
The following general requirements for eligibility are as follows
Ensure your departure from the country
As a guarantee, you must present pertinent papers like a plane ticket, etc.
Prove your financial capability
You must demonstrate that you have the resources to support your stay in the nation. Your financial situation should be adequate to pay for your and your family’s boarding, daily expenses, and medical treatment.
Clear criminal history
You must demonstrate that you don’t pose a threat to the nation by having a clean criminal history.
Positive medical records
To receive a work permit, you might need to pass a medical exam.
Ensure that you are working lawfully
Some jobs are illegal. You must formally state that you have no plans to participate in any actions the government deems criminal.
Declare all required documentation
You must cooperate if the immigration agents ask to view your official documents.
You can find PGWPs for the following levels of study and programs
- A public post-secondary institution in Quebec, such as a university, college, or trade or technical institution
- A private post-secondary institution that follows the same policies as public schools (only applies to certain institutions in Quebec)
- A private secondary or post-secondary institution in Quebec that offers qualifying programs of 900 hours or more that lead to a diploma in professional studies (DEP) or an attestation of specialization in practice (ASP)
- Canadian private schools can legally award degrees under provincial law only to students enrolled in degree-granting programs approved by the province.
How to apply for PGWP
The Post Graduation Work Permit application process is straightforward and can be performed online using your GCKey or bank account information. You can also apply in person by submitting a paper application.
It is advisable to try and apply online if you are qualified because it has a faster processing time than paper applications. Fill out the following forms on the Government of Canada website to begin your application.
- IMM 5710- Application for a change of status, an extension of stay, or to continue working in Canada.
- IMM 5409- Statutory declaration of common-law union (if you have a common-law partner).
- IMM 5476- Use of representative (if you permit someone to apply for you).
- IMM 5475- Authority to release personal information to a designated individual (if you are using a representative).
The following documents are necessary for obtaining a work permit in Canada-
- A passport is valid for at least six months from the date of entry into Canada.
- Two recent passport-sized photos. You must submit a photograph against a solid background.
- All certificates regarding academic qualifications are a must.
- Proof of work experience and, if applicable.
- Certificates of vocational training.
- Submit documents proving you have sufficient financial resources to stay in the country.
- You must submit medical reports obtained from licensed medical facilities.
- A letter from your university attesting to your graduation is needed.
- A letter from your school proving the number of hours or months you spent in school and the program code if you studied in Quebec is necessary.
They will instruct you to pay the PGWP application fees after submitting all the required documentation. You must wait for the completion of the process before the Government of Canada notifies you of its choice via letter or email.
You should assure immigration officers that you will follow the country’s laws and regulations and prove you intend to return home as soon as your permit expires. When officials discovered the applicants’ intentions were not pure, the permits saw repeated denials. The visa interviewer’s decision and judgment are absolute and final, so do your best to persuade them.
How long is the processing time for a post-study work visa?
The Government of Canada must process your Post Graduate Work Permit application after you submit the form. If you applied online, you have to wait around 51 days for your PGWP application to be processed. If you submitted a paper application, you must wait 107 days for it to be processed.
What are the fees?
You must pay the application fees before submitting your PGWP application. The PGWP is significantly more expensive than the student work permit because it is known as an open work permit.
To obtain the PGWP, you must expressly pay CAD 155 as the normal work permit application price in addition to an additional CAD 100 for the open work permit. Your PGWP application will therefore cost CAD 255 in total.
For how long is it valid?
The validity depends on the duration of your program-
- You are not eligible for a PGWP if your study program lasted less than 8 months.
- If your study program lasted between 8 months and 2 years, your PGWP could be valid for the duration of your program (so if your program was ten months, your PGWP will be valid for 10 months).
- If your study program lasted two years or more, your PGWP could be valid for three years.
- If you studied in more than one program, your PGWP could be valid for up to three years.
Can you get permanent residence in Canada with a PGWP?
You may be thinking if you qualify for Canadian permanent residence after completing your PGWP. That is dependent on whether you meet the requirements for any of the Canadian permanent residences that you can obtain by working, such as-
- Canadian Experience Class
- Federal Skilled Workers Program (FSWP)
- Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)
- Provincial Nominee Program
- Atlantic Immigration Pilot
- Officials can issue post-study work permits for international students who have completed their studies at a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
- PGWPs are valid for eight months to three years and are an excellent way to gain valuable work experience in Canada.
- Canada’s Post-Graduation Work Program intends to provide an efficient path for international students to obtain permanent residence status.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your views and perspectives in the comments below. Please contact us for more information on a post-study work visa in Canada by clicking here. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Canada work visa – Everything you need to know!
Q1. How can you get PR in Canada after 1-year study?
Answer- You can apply for PR under the Canadian Experience Class after gaining a minimum of one year of full-time work experience (within three years). You must first create an Express Entry Profile. Then apply for a PR through the CEC route.
Q2. Which state in Canada gives PR easily?
Answer- Nova Scotia is the easiest province to get PR in Canada.
Q3. Which city in Canada has more job opportunities in 2022?
Answer- According to the report, Brantford, Ontario is the best city in Canada for newcomers to look for work. Despite its small size, the city continues to make inroads when it comes to capitalizing on the country’s untapped pool of talent. Brantford’s unemployment rate is astonishingly low at 3.6%.