Table of Contents
About Thompson Rivers University
Established in 1970, Thompson Rivers University (TRU)is a public academic and research university. TRU has produced several global and business leaders. Thompson Rivers University is a well-known Canadian university that provides students worldwide with vocational, research, and training degrees. The university is renowned for its extensive course offerings and has over 20,000 students.
Reasons to study at Thompson Rivers University
Below are the reasons to study at the famous university
Thompson Rivers University offers 140 on-campus and more than 60 online bachelor’s, master’s, post-baccalaureate, certificate/diploma, and other postgraduate programs. Thompson Rivers offers Community Programs, Adult Basic Education, and English as a Second Language (ESL).
Thompson Rivers University awards scholarships to 43 percent of eligible entrance scholarship applicants and 96 percent of scholarships worth more than 1000 CAD annually to students with an 85 percent or higher average. Over 500 scholarships and prizes are available to students who have completed at least one semester of studies at the university.
TRU’s World division has many international partners. The university has 26,000 students studying on campus or via distance and online learning. It has over 2000 employees, which include academic faculty, staff, and administration.
Cost of studying
|Average living expenses (Bachelor)||CAD 30,106|
|Average living expenses (Master)||CAD 29,321|
|Average on-campus living expenses||CAD 8,260|
|Average off-campus living expenses||CAD 10,800|
Thompson Rivers University ranking
According to EduRank, Thompson Rivers University ranks-
- 2332 in the world
- 683 in North America
- 57 in Canada
- 7 in British Columbia
- 606 in International Law
Follow the below steps to apply at the Thompson Rivers University-
- Apply via the official website.
- Choose your path.
- Fill out your information
- Upload any necessary documents.
- Pay the Thompson Rivers University tuition.
- The application fee for Thompson Rivers University is CAD 100.
The following documents are necessary for admission to the university-
- Proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL/ IELTS)
- Two LOR (one academic and one professional reference)
- Scanned copies of original or official transcripts (or certified copies) of secondary school grades and any post-secondary universities.
- Evidence of sufficient funds (bank statement)
- A copy of a current passport
- Certificate of Completion (if the awarded undergraduate degree does not indicate on the transcript)
- Letter of intent
Exams accepted by the university
English Language Proficiency Requirements
International students at Thompson Rivers University must provide the following proof of English language proficiency
|IELTS||6.5+ with no bands lower than 6.0|
|TOEFL IBT||88+ with no section less than 20|
|Duolingo||110 and above|
|MELAB||81 and above|
|CanTEST||4.5+ with no component score lower than 4.0|
|CAEL||Overall score of 70+, with no subtest below 60.|
Thompson Rivers University has two campuses. Thompson Rivers University’s main campus is in Kamloops, located across the confluence of the North and South Thompson rivers. Take a look at the campus features-
- The university’s main campus in Kamloops has over 80 active student societies and clubs in fields such as dance, art and music, and sports.
- Basketball, WolfPack varsity volleyball, soccer, and badminton are among the 12 athletic teams on campus.
- Wireless internet access is available throughout the campus.
- It is close to major cities such as Vancouver, Calgary, and Seattle.
TRU offers four on-campus housing options-
The North Tower- TRU’s 11-story residential tower, which houses 570 students, has some of the best views in the city.
McGill Residence- Located on campus’s southern outskirts, this dorm-style residence houses 302 students in four-bedroom quads.
East Village- A 250-bed apartment-style housing complex that combines on-campus and off-campus living. There are furnished two-bedroom and four-bedroom units available.
West Gate Dormitories- A dorm-style housing complex with 114 self-contained private units on campus’s southwest side.
The apartments are fully furnished, with a bed, television, and high-speed internet access. There are also study lounges and a larger kitchen area on some floors. They hold social events regularly to foster community among the residents. These enjoyable activities intend to relax you and make you feel good.
|Availability||It is first come, first served.|
|Amenities||Private bedroom has a desk, microwave, kitchen, refrigerator, and sink.There is a common area with activities and a TV room.A laundry room is available.|
|Living expenses||Approximately CAD 6200|
Those who prefer to live off campus will have no trouble finding student-friendly, fully-furnished housing near campus. The average price ranges from 1050 to 1150 CAD.
Thompson Rivers University has over 850 researchers. This research capstone experience allows students to enhance their undergraduate research understanding while also training them to become TRU Ambassadors.
Students who have completed at least 60 credits and have participated in or are currently participating in research or creative activities under the supervision of a TRU faculty member are eligible for this initiative.
Ambassadors will work on various undergraduate research projects with the Research Office. Successful ambassadors receive a prize of 3,000 CAD
Work-Study is a financial aid program funded by TRU. It allows Canadian students to work part-time on-campus jobs that complement their studies. If your program eligibility is approved, the online job roster will show which positions are currently open for applications. The status of individual posts will be updated when they are filled.
- Students in the program can work up to 20 hours per week and earn an average of 2,400-3,000 CAD per month.
- If they study for up to two years at TRU, they will need a work permit for Canada for up to two years after graduation.
Thompson Rivers University has 60,000 alumni from over 115 countries. Thompson Rivers has a diverse alum base in a variety of fields. University alums are eligible for various benefits, including-
- Resources for careers
- Scholarships and bursaries from the Alumni Association
- Assistance for planning reunions
- Alumni access card that entitles holders to discounts on lodging and travel, professional development, retail and merchandise, services, sports, and entertainment.
Thompson Rivers University has a 60% graduation rate. TRU also offers a co-op program, which allows you to work while you study. Co-op programs are incredibly beneficial because they allow you to build your resume and gain experience before graduating.
You could earn up to $4000 per month. The co-op office assists students in preparing for career decisions by conducting mock interviews and reviewing resumes. Thompson graduates earn an average salary of $53000. Salary ranges for various degrees are as follows-
- The university offers several programs for international students.
- The English proficiency tests are a must for international students to get admission into the university.
- Thompson Rivers University has a great alumni network for its students.
- The average salary of a Thompson graduate is $53,000.
- Thompson Rivers University’s ranking in Canada is 57.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your thoughts and perspectives in the comments section below. For more information on Thompson Rivers University, please contact us by clicking here. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: University of Windsor | Rankings, fees, campus and more
Q1. What is Thompson River University’s acceptance rate?
Answer- The Thompson Rivers University acceptance rate is 82%.
Q2. Which are some of the popular programs at Thompson Rivers University?
Answer- Thompson Rivers University’s most popular programs include MBA / PGDM, BBA, B.E./B.Tech, and B.Sc.
Q3. Are there any scholarships available for international students at TRU?
Answer- Yes, there are several options for international students at TRU. International Athletic Scholarships, Diversity Scholarships, Academic Excellence Awards, and Exceptional Student Awards are among the scholarships available.