Table of Contents
Computer science is undoubtedly one of the most sought-after fields in today’s time. As we stand on the brink of the fourth industrial revolution, it’s no surprise that individuals in computer science are getting paid more than those in other engineering fields. So, if you’ve also got a curious mind, critical thinking, and complex problem-solving abilities needed to be a computer scientist, choose from one of these highest-paying Computer Science jobs. It can set you up for life.
This is one of the most in-demand Computer Science jobs. Nowadays, all top corporations rely on data to fuel business growth. As the fourth industrial revolution is centered on AI, it isn’t surprising that data scientists are among the highest-paid professionals in the IT world. These professionals need to have multidisciplinary expertise and exceptional problem-solving skills to succeed in their respective fields.
- To excel in data science, a computer science student has to strengthen his/her foundation in statistics, calculus, and linear algebra. Besides that, they have to be familiar with programming languages, such as Python or R.
- These professionals spend several years working on scattered data sets and finding hidden patterns. Being a data scientist is a journey that starts from data analysis, expertise in machine learning to engineering everyday problems, and solving them with the help of data. The median salary for this position is as high as $128,750 annually.
Information System Managers
Computer and information systems managers are experts in analyzing a company’s technological needs. They are also responsible for overseeing the implementation of appropriate information systems in organizations.
- As the name suggests, these professionals need to have expertise in working with information systems and managing vital software resources. Another essential skill for this job position is the ability to hire, train, and supervise technical staff. Therefore, IT professionals need to have strong leadership skills.
- Experts suggest that information systems managers earn a median income of almost $146,360 per year. As the trend of utilizing data to fuel business growth continues, we can expect the demand for this position to increase in the future. Therefore, it is safe to say that this is one of the highest-paid computer science jobs.
Mobile Application Developer
The latest mobile apps are changing the world of software advancement and Mobile Application Developers are at the center of it. It’s easy to understand why this is among the most in-demand Computer Science jobs.
- These developers are responsible for creating applications for mobile devices, such as smartphones, tablets, smartwatches, and other peripheral mobile devices. These software development pros have expertise in developing software for all kinds of platforms, such as Android and iOS. However, you must be an avid problem solver and have extensive experience in coding with mobile development languages and mobile frameworks.
- The median salary for this job position is as much as $107,000 per year.
Cloud Solutions Architect
In today’s time, being a cloud solutions architect is one of the most promising and upcoming careers in computer science. This IT specialist is responsible for managing an organization’s cloud computing strategy. Cloud solutions architects work closely with business analysts and establish the cloud structure of the organization.
They are responsible for making sure that the cloud infrastructure of the company is in line with its business requirements. Cloud solutions architects draw an average annual salary between $140,000 and $150,000. Companies such as Booz, Allen, Hamilton, Microsoft Corp, and Amazon.com Inc., are some of the top employers of Cloud solutions architects.
The Database administrators, also known as DBAs are primarily responsible for storing and organizing their company’s critical data. Database administration is a unique branch of computer science jobs where DBAs are responsible for ensuring that organizations can easily access the data on all electronic devices and apps.
- Being a database administrator requires you to have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field. They are required to be masters of database languages such as SQL, QOL, XQuery, and SQL/XML.
- They acquire an average annual salary of $90,167. In the US, the Bureau of Labor Statistics predicted a 15% rise in the need for Database administrators by the year 2022. If you check all the requirements above and like the job description, this is the career for you!
One of the highest paying Computer Science jobs, software engineering involves understanding user needs, building and testing computer applications, and keeping them upgraded as technology advances through time.
- Consequently, all the universities offering computer science and engineering programs make sure to provide students with sound knowledge of mathematics, computers, programming languages, and the domain they might want to specialize in.
- As a software engineering graduate, you can choose to focus on one specific type of application. Like operating systems, games, web development, app development, data analytics. Or you could build software applications specifically for a field, like fintech, or medicine. How cool is that!?
So, which of these Computer Science jobs is the best for me?
Any of the careers that you wish to pursue can only become reality when you have the right educational qualifications to do so. So, before you find the perfect job, it’s necessary to find the perfect program and the ideal university.
But if you have already done that, see which of these roles interest you the most. If you like reading research papers, analyzing data, and creating new solutions, choose to become a data scientist. But if you’re interested in analyzing and fulfilling a company’s technological needs, you’d be better off working as an Information System manager.
So try everything while you’re studying your course, see what you like the best, and land yourself one of these highest-paying jobs in the computer science field!
Now that you know some of the best Computer Science jobs, choose your path by taking a course that aligns with your goals. Thereafter, steeping into the industry would be easy for you.
In case you get stuck or have any doubts, feel free to reach out to us or drop a comment. We’d be very happy to help.
Until then, all the best with your aspirations!
Liked this blog? Read next: Computer Science Engineering Subjects | All you need to know
Q1. Is getting a Computer Science degree worth it?
Ans- As per the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there can be an 11% growth in computer and IT careers in the next 10 years. This data shows the increase of jobs in this industry in the coming years. Having a computer science degree will give you an edge over others and help you rise through the ranks.
Q2. Do Computer Science graduates make good money?
Ans- The average starting salary of computer science graduates is around $61000, and the pay scale increases with experience. This clearly explains the high demand for qualified professionals in this space. Hence, these graduates make good money in the IT sector.
Q3. Which career in Computer Science is right for me?
Ans- The answer to this question depends on your long-term goals, interests, etc. You may participate in hack-a-thons, and such competitions to know your area of interest, technology, and decide what direction to move into.