Table of Contents
Top college majors in 2022 | An overview
Statistically speaking, the number of college graduates in the United States has been steadily rising by an average rate of 60.4%! Undergraduate degrees are fast becoming recognized for the quality of career opportunities. As a part of your undergraduate studies, you will also develop a vast range of industry-relevant skills. Undergraduate degrees offer a wide range of specializations. There are several niche areas with a growing rate of aspirants seeking higher education. If you are considering pursuing your higher studies, it is important to opt for a course most aligned with your interests and professional goals. Keep reading to discover the top college majors in 2022!
Top college majors in 2022
It is crucial to choose a college major that will withstand the pace at which the economy and job market are changing. There are several new industries and lucrative courses to choose from due to advancements in technology. These include everything from STEM courses to business majors!
The top 7 most popular college majors in 2022 are as follows-
The field of Engineering is one of the most popular majors chosen by aspirants across the world today.
- Graduates are often required to use principles of mathematics and physics to design different structures.
- Pursuing an engineering degree will equip you with excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- One of the most notable aspects of this college major is that it is available in different kinds of specializations.
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Automotive Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Software Engineering (this is a specialization that alone sees a projected job growth of 21% between 2018 and 2028).
#2. Data Science
This is among the most popular college majors that are seeing a surge in intake in 2022.
- Data science & analytics is the field that analyses the data generated by organizations on a daily basis.
- This data is analyzed, organized, and presented in a manner that allows the creation of actionable strategies.
- Making sense of the vast amounts of data generated can be a great way to streamline organizational processes.
- The projected job growth rate for data science is 22% between 2020 and 2030!
With constant developments in the field of technology, there is a growing need to be vigilant about the threats you can face online. If this term has your interest, then a cybersecurity major is a great option to consider!
- With a cybersecurity degree, some of the different opportunities you can consider include opportunities in application & software development and information technology.
- Additionally, you can consider taking up the entire course online.
- Job opportunities in the cybersecurity field will grow by a whopping 28% in the next decade.
Post the COVID-19 pandemic; the hospitality industry is once again seeing a surge in economic growth. This, therefore, makes hospitality management among the most popular college majors in 2022!
- As a part of your hospitality management major, you will be trained in key problem-solving techniques, management of resources, marketing, and cost & benefit analysis.
- Pursuing a hospitality management major will also present you with several lucrative career opportunities, such as:
- Event planner
- Human resources manager
- Hotel manager
- Hospitality administrator
- The industry is expecting to see a surge of 18% by 2030!
Another college major that has seen a surge in popularity is computer science. Based on the American Bureau of Labor Statistics, there is a growing demand for professionals who are adept in this niche.
- As a part of your computer science major, the different topics you will cover include software development, program design, and cloud technology.
- You will need to refine your coding skills as a part of the course curriculum.
- The several incredible career opportunities you can consider after your graduation include-
- Application developer
- Computer hardware engineer
- Systems analyst
- Software developer
- The computer science industry is expected to grow by 16% in the next 10 years.
Financial Technology (FinTech)
Financial technology as a college major is now receiving the limelight and value it holds in today’s economy.
- One of the fastest-growing job sectors within the industry of finance, the fintech job growth rate is expected to hit a growth rate of 25% in the next couple of years.
- Given the field’s newness, some of the many exciting concepts you will study as a part of this major include blockchain technology & financial analysis.
- Pursuing a fintech major will give you several employment opportunities in technology hubs worldwide, such as London, Singapore, and New York!
Health informatics is another niche that is gaining significant attention post the COVID-19 pandemic.
- It combines the study of information technology and healthcare to significantly improve patient experience and treatment.
- Technology and analytics primarily improve the medical systems and analyze medical records.
- The scope of this field is significant, with several career opportunities to consider, including information analyst and network system administrator.
- The health informatics industry is projected to see a surge of 11% in economic activity within the next couple of years.
- Pursuing an undergraduate degree is one of the most important steps in the course of an academic career.
- Choosing the right major is key to setting the foundation for a career in your chosen field of specialization.
- There are a plethora of dynamic college majors available to choose from. It is important to weigh personal interests and professional goals before selecting a major.
- Our list of the top college majors in 2022 will give you an understanding of the best options you can choose from!
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog. In case of any queries, reach out to us or drop a comment below!
Liked this blog? Then read How to apply for jobs | A 6-step guide to landing your dream job!
Question 1: What are the different niches within a business major?
Answer: Within a business major, your training in niche segments will include management, accounting, finance, and entrepreneurship.
Question 2: Will I learn cryptography as a part of my computer science major?
Answer: Yes, cryptography is an integral part of the syllabus for both – computer science & cybersecurity majors!
Question 3: Can I pursue engineering with a focus on nuclear engineering?
Answer: Absolutely! Nuclear engineering is a niche field and offers a remarkable professional opportunity from a financial standpoint.