Table of Contents
Many students dream about studying abroad. It’s no secret that studying abroad allows students to meet new people, gain internship experience, travel the world, make professional connections, and immerse themselves in a new culture. Though there are clear advantages to studying abroad, the steps to making it a reality can be daunting, especially if you’re on a tight budget. Here are the top study abroad student grants to apply for right now!
But before that, let us understand what student grants are and how they differ from scholarships.
What exactly are student grants?
Grants are funds given by the government, corporation, trust, or foundation to an individual, educational institution, business, non-profit organization, or any other entity for a specific purpose, such as agriculture, education, or construction. It is also known as subsidies, duty exemptions, and cash incentives.
Grants are given for various reasons, such as conducting research, studying abroad, starting a new business, or even to victims of natural disasters. The recipient must be eligible to receive the grant.
A certain standard and proper reporting must be met when a grant is given to fund a project. The grant is for specified purposes, or the recipient will lose the assistance.
The Significant Differences Between Grants and Scholarships
- A scholarship is a monetary award to help a student pursue higher education. Grants are funds by the government or another entity to an individual or entity for a specific purpose.
- On the other hand, Grants are awarded to students based on their needs, i.e., their financial situation is a consideration.
- The scholarship is awarded primarily based on merit, which can be academic, athletic, or artistic, but need and other factors are also considered.
- Any individual, non-profit organization, business, or other entity that meets the specific criteria is eligible for a grant. On the contrary, the scholarship is only given to students who are continuing their education.
- Although specific conditions must be met in order to receive the grant, the student is not required to maintain the specified level of performance. In contrast, the performance level should not be lower than specified, or else the scholarship will be terminated.
- Grants are given for various reasons, such as conducting research, studying abroad, starting a business, or any other reason. In contrast, a scholarship is only granted for educational purposes.
It’s difficult to decide when so many fantastic funding opportunities are available! But, if we had to choose, these are some of the top student grants for studying abroad.
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
This prestigious grant, awarded by the United States Department of State, is intended to support U.S. undergraduate students who pursue study abroad or for-credit internships abroad. The purpose of the Gilman Program was to diversify the student population and the countries they travel to. Scholarships of up to $5,000 or $8,000 are available for students studying a Critical Need Language.
Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund
The Davis-Putter Scholarship is an excellent opportunity to fund your studies in the United States and abroad if you are passionate about social justice and want to continue your commitment to community activism values while studying abroad and participating in social change. At the same time, traveling is a fantastic way to immerse yourself in the local community and go beyond simply being a tourist in your chosen destination. Look for programs that align with your social issue interests, and then share your eagerness with the Davis-Putter Fund to secure the funding.
Critical Language Scholarships
Learning a language is half the fun of traveling abroad, and this grant from the U.S. Department of State is available to help aspiring linguists abroad. Even if you can only travel abroad for a short period, the CLS Program is ideal because it funds U.S. undergraduate and graduate students for “overseas language and cultural immersion programs,” specifically during summer. Check to see if your language of interest is eligible, and then apply for funding to immerse yourself in your studies abroad.
Fund for Education Abroad Scholarships
Since 2010, the FEA has awarded undergraduate students who want to study abroad $10,000 for an academic year, $5,000 for one semester, and $1,250 for summer programs. Furthermore, you may be eligible for one of their additional, dedicated scholarships based on your cross-cultural interests, identity, destination country, or hometown. With 50 scholarships and comprehensive application assistance, the FEA is a genuine advocate for students from all backgrounds to study abroad!
- Scholarships can vary depending on your home country and where you plan to study, so it’s always a good idea to have a country and some university options in mind.
- When applying for various study abroad grants, you should contact your transcript office to ensure that you meet the deadlines with the required official or unofficial copies.
- The most important part of your grant application will be your personal statement or essay detailing why you deserve to be awarded the funds.
We hope this blog was informative. If so, please share your views in the comments below. Click here to reach out to us for more information. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Can you combine athletic scholarships with financial aid?
Q1. Do you have to repay grants?
Ans – Grants are an excellent way to fund your college expenses because they are money you will not have to repay. Unlike a federal student loan, a grant is a source of free money, and grants are typically awarded based on financial need. They can also be given for a specific course, school, background, or subject.
Q2. What happens to any unused grant funds?
Ans – Typically, your grant or loan money is applied first to your tuition, fees, and (if you live on campus) room and board. Any money left over is paid directly to you for other educational expenses.
Q3. What are the various types of grants?
Ans – Four Types of grant funding to achieve your mission and reach your goals
Competitive Grant – Based on the Merits.
Formula Grant – Based on Predetermined Award.
Continuation – Renewal Grants.
Pass-Through Grants – Issued by a Federal Agency.