Table of Contents
- Universities without IELTS | An overview
- List of universities in Canada without IELTS
- List of universities in the UK without IELTS
- List of universities in the USA without IELTS
- List of universities in Germany without IELTS
- List of universities in Australia without IELTS
- Should I apply to these universities?
- Help me prepare for IELTS!
Universities without IELTS | An overview
As a matter of fact, most universities expect their applicants to be proficient in English as the courses are taught in English. This is why universities ask students to submit their scores on tests like IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE. However, a few colleges understand that not all students need to take these exams. Most universities just need to know that you’ve received an education with English as your primary language. So to make the application process easier, they also admit students who haven’t submitted their English test scores. Here’s a compiled list of universities without IELTS requirements that you can apply to!
List of universities in Canada without IELTS
When it comes to Canada, there are a bunch of universities that don’t ask for IELTS scores. But they do need students to submit other proofs of their proficiency in English. These include-
- Proof that you have studied in an English medium school for at least four years.
- Documents to show that you are a native of an English-speaking nation.
- You will sign up for the university’s language school for a semester or a year.
Let’s take a look at the list of universities in Canada without IELTS requirements and see what they ask for, instead-
- University of Saskatchewan – CanTEST scores, English Training Program at the university, over three years of full-time study at a school with a Canadian curriculum.
- Cambrian College – English Training Program at the university.
- The University of Winnipeg – English Language Program at the university.
- Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador – English Language Program at the university, CanTEST or CAEL scores.
- Brock University – Study the Intensive English Language Program at the university.
- Carleton University – Transcripts for the last three years of study.
- University of Regina
- Okanagan College
- Concordia University – English Language Program at the university.
- Seneca College
- Memorial University – English Language Program at the university.
When it comes to taking the English Language Program at the university, it’s important to know that the course length will depend on how good your English is. As a matter of fact, if you’re really good already, you might not have to take it at all!
List of universities in the UK without IELTS
Similar to other countries, the universities in the UK also allow students to apply without submitting their IELTS scores. Instead, they ask for other proofs of English proficiency, like-
- The medium of instruction in your previous university/school was English.
- Interviews in English.
- Other language tests.
- Attend an English language course at the university.
If you satisfy any of the above requirements, you might not have to take the IELTS at all!
Without further ado, let’s take a look at the universities in the UK without IELTS requirements-
- The University of Warwick
- Birmingham City University
- The University of Bristol
- London Southbank University
- Northumbria University
- The University of Bolton
- Portsmouth University
- Aston University
- Swansea University
- The University of Plymouth
- University of Greenwich
- Robert Gordon University
- University of Central Lancashire
- The University of Northampton
- Riga Technical University
- Sheffield Hallam University
- Audencia Nantes School of Management
- Bangor University
Even though quite a few universities accept students without IELTS scores, you might need to take the test if you want a UK student visa. So, unless the visa officer exempts you from submitting IELTS scores, you will have to prepare for the IELTS test and score well.
List of universities in the USA without IELTS
All in all, there are many universities in the USA without any IELTS or TOEFL requirements. While some of them ask for a degree from an English-medium institute; on the other hand, some interview in English or offer English language courses to students who are not from English-speaking nations.
Let’s take a look at these institutes-
- University of Delaware
- Northwood University
- Rice University
- University of Dayton
- State University of New York
- University of New Orleans
- National Louis University
- University of North Alabama
- Drexel University
- University of Arkansas
- California State University
- University of Iowa
- Western Washington University
- University of Colorado
- Drew University
- University of Missouri
- Sonoma State University
- University of North Texas
- Illinois State University
- University of Wisconsin
- Kendall College
- Notre Dame De Namur University
- Schiller International University
- Southeast Missouri State University
- Park University
- Westcliff University
- Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- DeVry University
- Saint Leo University
- Oglethorpe University
- Seattle Central Community College
- Georgia State University
- La Sierra University
- Marymount California University
- Rider University
- University of Central Florida
- Baylor University
To find out the exact details about which alternate documents these universities require, visit the undergraduate/graduate pages of the respective websites.
List of universities in Germany without IELTS
As a matter of fact, several German universities exempt students from submitting their IELTS scores. However, they allow students to share other documents instead-
- A document stating that their previous course was taught entirely in English.
- A Medium of Instruction (MoI) certificate.
- Proof that you are a native of an English-speaking nation.
- Give an interview in English.
Here is a list of universities in Germany without IELTS requirements-
- University of Kaiserslautern
- University of Siegen
- Free University of Berlin
- University of Giessen
- University of Koblenz and Landau
- Braunschweig University of Technology (TU Braunschweig)
- Esslingen University of Applied Sciences (Hochschule Esslingen)
- Ruhr University Bochum
- Freiburg University
- University of Bayreuth
- University of Bonn
- Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences
- HCI Siegen
- University of Kiel
- University of Kassel
- The University of Applied Sciences, Ingolstadt (Technische Hochschule Ingolstadt)
- Flensburg University of Applied Sciences
- Anhalt University of Applied Sciences
- Nordhausen University of Applied Sciences
- Technische Hochschule Deggendorf
- University of Passau
- University of Hildesheim
- TH Köln
- University of Freiburg
- Chemnitz University of Technology
- Hochschule Stralsund
- Mittweida University
One major reason why Germany has so many colleges that don’t require GRE is that it also offers German Pathway Programs. Through these courses, students can learn German during their course and eventually switch from studying in English to learning the same program in German.
List of universities in Australia without IELTS
Universities in Australia usually require students to submit their IELTS or TOEFL scores. However, exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis.
For example, if your previous course had been in English or if you’re willing to attend a language preparatory course at the university, you might not have to take the IELTS exam.
Here’s a list of universities in Australia without IELTS requirements-
- The University of Queensland – If your previous course was taught in English or if you have work experience in a professional English-speaking environment.
- The University of Adelaide – If your previous course was taught in English or if you are ready to enroll in a language preparatory course.
- Bond University – a PTE certificate or C1 Advanced certificate.
- Swinburne University of Technology – The previous course was in English; attend an English language course, or provide a PTE or Common European Framework certificate.
- Macquarie University – PTE, CAE, CPE, OET scores, or an English language course.
- University of New South Wales – PTE, CAE, CPE scores, or work experience in a professional English-speaking environment.
- Victoria University – PTE, CAE, or FCE scores.
- University of South Australia – PTE, CAE, or CPE scores, or an English program at the university.
- The University of Southern Queensland – English language proficiency program.
Even though quite a few universities accept students without IELTS scores, you might need to take the test if you want an Australian student visa. So, unless the visa officer exempts you from submitting IELTS scores, you will have to prepare for the IELTS test and score well.
Should I apply to these universities?
My only suggestion to you is this – shortlist your colleges wisely.
Don’t just pick universities because they are waiving IELTS and TOEFL scores. Choose them because you like the course, find the curriculum fascinating, and love the faculty. And if that means you have to take the IELTS exam, do it.
Also, many countries require you to have taken IELTS or TOEFL. So, before applying to these colleges, make sure that not taking IELTS doesn’t affect your chances of getting a student visa.
If you face any difficulties and can’t take the test, email the university. If they say you will have to submit IELTS scores, return to this blog. Shortlist universities that you like, and apply! You might end up at a place better than you had dreamed of.
Help me prepare for IELTS!
Since not all courses and universities are waiving IELTS, you might have a few on your shortlist that are still asking students to submit IELTS scores.
In that case, it’s best to start preparing for the test as soon as you can. To begin with, check out this blog on ‘All about IELTS‘ and then head over to the article I have written on ‘IELTS at-home.’ You will learn about IELTS test dates, exam patterns, registration, and scoring. The first blog also has a sample paper for you to practice.
Moreover, the second blog will help you set up your room and your PC (among other things) to help you take the test at home.
So, what are you waiting for? Head over and start preparing!
And in case you get stuck or have any questions (or if you’re still not sure about giving the IELTS exam), feel free to reach out or drop a comment below.
We would be very happy to help!
Liked this blog? Then read US English vs. UK English | Top Differences to Understand!
Question 1: Is the IELTS test score absolutely necessary?
Answer: Not really. As a matter of fact, many universities exempt students from submitting IELTS test scores. While some universities may have it mandatorily, you can check out the universities without IELTS if you are not willing to take the test.
Question 2: In addition to the countries mentioned here, which other countries don’t need an IELTS score?
Answer: In addition to the countries mentioned in this blog, South Africa, Sweden, Uganda, and Belgium are some of the other countries that don’t need an IELTS score.
Question 3: Why is IELTS mandatory in some universities?
Answer: As has been noted, the courses are taught in English, which makes IELTS mandatory in some universities. However, some universities do exempt the test.