Table of Contents
University of West London – An Overview
UWL is known for providing high-quality education that is directly connected to employment. The university wants to motivate its students to develop into creative professionals and can lead them to fulfilling jobs. The curriculum is created to give students the theoretical knowledge and real-world skills they need to succeed in their chosen fields of study.
The Lady Byron School, which eventually became Ealing College of Higher Education, was established in 1860, marking the beginning of the institution. The Polytechnic of West London, as it was then known, changed its name to Thames Valley University in 1992. It was given its current name 18 years later, following numerous mergers, acquisitions, and campus relocations.
University of West London – Schools
The university has 9 academic schools that are well regarded and provide courses in a variety of subjects.
- The London Geller College of Hospitality and Tourism,
- Claude Littner Business School,
- School of Computing and Engineering, the London College of Music
- College of Nursing, Midwifery & Healthcare
- School of Law, the School of Human and Social Sciences
- School of Biomedical Sciences
- London School of Film, Media, and Design
Ranking & ratings
According to the most recent Government Research Excellence Framework (REF 2021) evaluation, about 80% of the university’s research is recognised as being of a world-leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*) caliber. In terms of overall research quality, UWL is among the top 100 universities in the UK.
Here are some rankings for the University of West London
- Times Good University Guide 2023 # 40.
- Guardian University Guide 2023 # 23.
- The top modern university in London & 8th in the UK.
- iThe Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020 – 52nd overall and 4th for teaching quality.
- Voted the top modern university in London for overall satisfaction by students (National Student Survey 2019).
- Top in London for teaching quality and student experience (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018)
- Consistently high standard of teaching was recognised with a Silver award in the Teaching Excellence Framework
The University of West London is composed of two campuses: the Paragon campus and the Ealing campus. Berkshire is where the Reading campus is located, Ealing is where the Reading campus is located, and Brent Ford is where Paragon House is located. The Heathrow Archive, a collection of more than 800 artifacts that chronicles the history of Heathrow airport starting in 1946, is located on the Ealing campus.
The administration of the institution is located in Walpole House in Ealing.
A new social area, library, student’s union, gym, and upgraded facilities were added to the St. Mary’s Road, Ealing campus in 2015 as part of a £100 million renovation. A further £1 million was spent in 2017 on expanding the Paragon site in Brentford and constructing a nursing simulation center on the campus in Reading.
The University of West London offers a variety of housing alternatives for its students
Chapter White City: Chapter White City is an East Acton residence hall. There are modern bedrooms, social areas, and a gym on the newly constructed premises. For first-year students who desire their own space, for returning students, or for post-graduate students, this housing is perfect.
Holbrook: Downing Students manage the North Acton residence hall known as Holbrook. The building offers a gym, a roof terrace, and common areas. First-year students would do well in this residence.
Nine of the University of West London’s well-regarded academic schools provide undergraduate and graduate programs. The various topics that students might study include business and law, engineering, the arts and humanities, languages, and education.
There are 110 undergraduate programs available in diverse subjects at the University of West London. The well-known undergraduate programs include bachelor’s degrees in civil engineering, architecture, hospitality management, and business studies with an emphasis on entrepreneurship. The average cost of the bachelor’s program is 9,000 GBP.
72 postgraduate programs are also available at the University of West London in a variety of subjects such as
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Science in International Business and Marketing
- Master of Science in Software Engineering
- Master of Marketing
- Master of Security
- Master of Arts in Criminology
- Master of Science in Information Science
- Finance and Accounting
- The University of West London Students’ Union (UWLSU) is the recognized student organization of the University of West London. It was ranked the best student union in Greater London in 2016.
- In 2009, the university was the only university to win the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for outstanding achievement and excellence in hospitality education–and it regularly wins awards from major industry bodies.
- On 5 September 2020, The University of West London ranked 34th best university (out of 130+ institutions) in the UK by the 2021 edition of the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide.
We hope this blog was informative. If so, please share your views in the comments below. Click here to reach out to us for more information. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: The University of Washington | Rankings, admission, student life
Q1. As an international student, how can I apply for a full-time program at the University of West London?
Ans. International students will have to visit the UCAS website and with the help of the university’s institution code (W05) and UCAS course code displayed on the course page, you’ll be able to apply for admission. Or even better will be to visit the university’s official website and click on the ‘apply now’ tab on the course page.
Q2. Does the University of West London provide accommodation?
Ans– Yes, the University of West London offers accommodation on its campuses.
Q3. How early am I supposed to apply for a visa to study in the UK?
Ans. International students should apply for their visas at least 3 months before their program begins. They’ll have to pay initially pay a deposit of £3,000 for their 1st year’s fee.