Table of Contents
About the University of Sassari
Founded in 1558 by Alessio Fontana, a distinguished gentleman from the town of Sassari, the University of Sassari (UNISS) is a famous institute in Italy. It has over 12,000 students and 700 scholars. The official start date of UNISS was May 1562, when the Jesuits began their work as scholars and teachers for the local clergy.
This medium-sized university now consists of 11 departments that collaborate with a number of academic and research centers and institutes. It offers a wide range of post-graduate studies and research activities. The university offers Ph.D. courses, medical specialization schools, advanced training programs, and international exchange projects. It also provides 50+ institutional courses.
UNISS is a place for free research and teaching, critical thinking, and the dissemination of scientific knowledge. It ensures autonomy for its facilities in research, teaching, and service. The university encourages active participation of all its members in university life and facilitates their integration into the territory.
Why choose the University of Sassari?
- The University of Sassari is a public university with deep traditions and a broad curriculum. It offers multi-disciplinary courses and high-quality scientific research.
- A medium-small university encourages incoming students to integrate into the academic community and form enriching personal relationships. The university provides free access to a number of libraries, study rooms, and hotspots that have a LAN or wi-fi connection.
- The University Language Center provides a variety of institutional and intensive free Italian language and culture courses.
- All incoming students are eligible for special accommodations, canteens, transportation, health, cultural, and recreational activities.
- Sassari is a student-centered city with an active social life fueled by the ESN Association and numerous departmental student organizations.
- Sassari lies on the island of Sardinia, which is known as one of the most beautiful islands in the Mediterranean basin. It is well-connected to many Italian and European airports.
Located in Sassari (population 130,000), Sardinia’s largest city in the north, The main campus of UNISS lies on a series of hills overlooking the strait. The strait separates Northern Sardinia from the southern coast of Corsica. As the university is in the middle of the Western Mediterranean Sea and at an elevation of 225 meters, the island has a mild and temperate climate all year.
Temperatures in Sassari rarely drop below 0°C (32° F) in the winter and can reach 35-40°C (95-104°F) in the summer. The city and its province’s main economic activities are trade, services, and tourism. Even in the city’s outskirts, wine, olive oil, and meat products are still produced. Within the city center, educational, cultural, economic, and health services are available.
UNISS also has three out-of-town campuses that house some of the university departments’ academic activities. They are-
Located in the island’s north-east, Olbia is North Sardinia’s main industrial port city.
Its airport houses a section of the University of Sassari’s Department of Business and Economics. It is a location for teaching and study of tourism-related subjects.
Nuoro is a city in the heart of the island, near the National Parks of Orosei and Gennargentu. The city is home to a University Hub, which houses courses from the Departments of Agriculture, Law, and Medicine.
Oristano is a city on the island’s central west coast. The Department of Agriculture organizes two courses at the CONSORZIO UNO university hub, focusing on food technology and wine science.
One of the core activities of the University of Sassari is research. Departments are responsible for developing subject-specific and cross-sector projects. The Central Administration’s Research Office assists with these projects. It has collaboration with the Rector’s Delegates for Research, Professors Valentina Prosperi and Francesco Cucca.
- 62 degree programs
- 34 first-year students, 22 second-year students
- 6 two-year second-level single-cycle courses
- 7 international courses, including 2 entirely in English
- 1 brand-new course.
The university’s organizational structure consists of ten departments, which are as follows-
- Architecture, design and city planning
- Chemistry and pharmacy
- Business and economics
- Veterinary medicine
- Biomedical sciences
- School of medicine
- Humanities and social sciences
- History, human sciences, and education
US World News Report rankings-
- Best Global Universities (tie)- 912
- Best Global Universities in Europe (tie)- 356
- Best Global Universities in Italy- 50
- Enrico Berlinguer- Italian politician
- Francesco Cossiga- Italian politician
- Salvatore Satta-Italian jurist and writer
- Roberto Meloni- Italian singer and television presenter
- Started in 1558 by Alessio Fontana, a distinguished gentleman from the town of Sassari, the University of Sassari (UNISS) is a famous educational institute in Italy. It has over 12,000 students and 700 scholars.
- Based in Sassari, Sardinia’s largest city in the north, The main campus of UNISS lies on a range of hills overlooking the strait. This strait separates Northern Sardinia from the southern coast of Corsica.
- There are ten departments in the university’s organizational structure. It has 62 degree programs, 6 two-year second-level single-cycle courses, and 7 international courses, including 2 entirely in English.
Did you find this blog informative? If so, please share your thoughts in the comments section below. Click here to contact us for more information on the University of Sassari. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Here’s a guide to Southeast Missouri State University
Q1. How much is the University of Sassari tuition fee?
Ans- Tuition at UNISS begins at $1,056 USD for international students and $1,056 USD for local residents. International students must pay at least $1,000 USD per year. Students can use financial aid programs to cover a portion or all of the cost of their education.
Q2. What is the acceptance rate for the University of Sassari?
Ans- According to a reliable source, the acceptance rate for UNISS is 24%.
Q3. Do I have to learn Italian to attend UNISS?
Ans- All non-EU students wishing to study in an Italian university must demonstrate B2 Italian language proficiency. UNISS strongly advises students to enroll in its language courses, especially if they do not have a B1 level certificate for the Italian language.