Table of Contents
- 1. Financial Analyst
- 2. Accounts Payable/Receivable Specialist
- 3. Cost Accountant
- 4. Assistant Controller
- 5. Compliance Manager
- How to get accounting jobs?
- Begin your job search today!
An accountant’s job might sound easy to you. But that’s not the reality. What truly makes their work difficult and sets them apart is the different requirements of the industries they work in. Having said that, the salary and the growth prospects of accounting make it a lucrative career option for freshers. Fortunately, with a bit of ideating and persuasion, you can get your foot in the door and bag some great accounting jobs.
This compilation of top accounting jobs will help you set your career direction in the world of accounting and push you to get started!
1. Financial Analyst
A Financial Analyst is a part of every industry today. The job involves handling the end-to-end finances of an organization. Apart from this, a Financial Analyst performs various other roles. Some of these include-
- Preparing financial reports.
- Identifying financial trends.
- Providing recommendations basis the trends.
- Analyzing financial results.
The average pay for a financial analyst is about $72000 per annum.
2. Accounts Payable/Receivable Specialist
These specialists have several years of bookkeeping experience. If you want to venture into this aspect, your responsibilities will include-
- Ensuring about the payments done/received from the contractors or clients.
- Performing periodic reconciliation.
- Managing invoices.
- Updating records of company expenditures.
The average pay might range from $36,000 to $49,000.
3. Cost Accountant
Cost Accountants are responsible for measuring the cost of products that the company produces or the services they provide. You can become a Cost Accountant with a bachelors’ degree in accounting or a related field. Following will be your responsibilities as a Cost Accountant-
- Researching the cost of production.
- Preparing reports.
- Developing strategies for cost-effective production.
The average pay for a cost accountant can be $54,000.
4. Assistant Controller
The major responsibility of an Assistant Controller is to help with most of the activities related to accounting management. You need at least a bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance to become an Assistant Controller. Some of the priorities in this job will include-
- Managing budgets and other financial reports.
- Making financial recommendations to the organization.
- Leading a team of accounting staff.
You can expect an average salary of around $71,160.
5. Compliance Manager
A Compliance Manager ensures that the company is abiding by all the legal regulations. You can become a Compliance Manager with a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or any other related field. Having an MBA degree would be a bonus that would make it much easier for you to get this job.
As a Compliance Manager, you will be responsible for-
- Developing compliance programs and practices.
- Maintaining compliance reports.
- Leading the compliance team.
The average salary can be around $65,000.
Now that you know about some best accounting jobs, let’s move ahead and learn how to grab these opportunities.
How to get accounting jobs?
1. Do some research!
First things first – research different accounting roles. This will help you target the job market in a much better way. You will get a clear direction about where to head and the industry, sector, and the job profile you wish to target.
Those who choose to work on a freelance basis can opt for work from home accounting jobs as well.
Take a close look at an accountant job description while you are researching about the jobs.
2. Check the qualification requirements
Each job we stated above has its own set of requirements. For example-
- You can apply for entry-level accounting jobs if you have at least a Bachelors’ degree in accounting or the related field.
- A master’s degree in accounting can help you to apply for advanced job titles. It can further help with more career advancements and better job opportunities.
- Certain job profiles like bookkeeping may require lesser qualifications.
- If you intend to work on part-time accounting jobs, some courses offer part-time for better flexibility. Opting for online accounting jobs can also provide more flexibility. Taking up online accounting jobs might result in you taking up other part-time jobs and studies.
Additional training and certifications can also help you stand out from the sea of other applicants while enhancing future job prospects.
As you go ahead, continue to refine your educational qualifications and skillset to get better job prospects. Apart from working for a firm, you can also opt for freelance accounting jobs.
Your resume can be a brief introduction and a window of opportunity to reach out to a prospective employer. Follow these steps to make your application stands out-
- Write a strong summary that showcases your talents and skills in the accounting sector. Include maths and analytical skills while displaying expertise with tools and software like Microsoft outlook and excel.
- Highlight your educational qualifications, certificates, licenses, and the courses you took in the accounting space.
- Showcase your soft as well as hard skills necessary for the job and how well versed you are with current technologies.
4. Go for an internship
Internships can turn out to be a great opportunity for freshers looking out to gain some quality experience as they start. Since many jobs have an accountant job description for an entry-level position that requires prior experience, internships and volunteering can prove to be very beneficial for you.
You can find internships through multiple channels, like-
- Networking events
- Job placements
- Online job portals
- Recruitment agencies
- Campus placements
We advise you to keep an eye on any accountant job vacancy to go for the right opportunities at the right time.
Building a strong network goes a long way when it comes to getting in touch with potential recruiters.
You can build your network by-
- Being consistent in your communication with prospects in conferences, networking events, and workshops. This will increase your chances of getting an opportunity. Your network can also help you by communicating about any accountant job vacancy they are aware of.
- Reaching out to recommendations from learned professionals in the field can also reap good results.
Eventually, word of mouth can spread at a fast pace and land you your dream job.
6. Harness the power of the internet
The digital world has brought everything so close it’s only a click away. And we need to make use of that. Harness the power of digital tools, social media, etc., by using job portals and social media groups to get in touch with potential employers.
Besides this, you can also make use of the online forums and communities. These platforms will help you get in touch with your prospects. They can give you some valuable insights, share vacancies, current trends, and best practices.
Online resources like eBooks, podcasts, courses, etc., can also help you enhance your knowledge in the field. This will definitely improve your chances of getting one of the top accounting jobs in this blog.
7. Get in touch with recruitment agencies
Recruitment agencies can help you get your profile noticed by other applicants, who can then provide you assistance with multiple things. Like polishing your resume, enhancing interviewing skills, profile building, etc. This will ensure that you are well prepared for the application and interview process when it comes your way.
The experience of the recruitment agencies can also help you fill in gaps to refine your resume and application with their deep industry knowledge.
Begin your job search today!
So there you have it- some top accounting jobs and tips to land them. You can bag jobs on multiple fronts like NGOs, government and private organizations, established corporations, and small businesses.
There are ample accounting jobs available with the rise of tax laws and regulations. So, this is an opportunity for you to land a job in whichever aspect of accounting you wish to. If you are not sure about which way to go, try taking up part-time accounting jobs. This will give you time to set your career goals.
If you are thinking of going for an accounting course abroad or need some help with the entire process, reach out to us. We’d be happy to help!
Till then, keep hunting!