Table of Contents
- About Eth Zurich, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
- Why study at the Eth Zurich Swiss Federal Institute of Technology?
- Eth Zurich Swiss Federal Institute of Technology QS rankings
- Programs at the university
- Admission process
- Documents required
- Services offered at the university
- Student life
- Campus and accommodation
- Key takeaways
About Eth Zurich, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
ETH Zurich is a world-class science and technology institute known for its research and innovation. Founded in 1855 as the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School, it now has 21 Nobel laureates, two Fields Medalists, three Pritzker Prize winners, and one Turing Award winner among its alumni, including the great Albert Einstein himself.
The institute, officially known as the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich in English, has 16 departments that provide academic education and scientific research ranging from engineering and architecture to chemistry and physics. Let’s find out more about Eth Zurich, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology.
Why study at the Eth Zurich Swiss Federal Institute of Technology?
ETH Zurich is one of the best universities in the world for all students. Take a look at a few reasons to attend this institute-
- International students choose ETH Zurich due to its thriving ecosystem.
- Through its 16 departments, the university makes significant contributions to the global science and technology industry, conducting solid academic interdisciplinary research on topics ranging from architecture and biology to chemistry and physics.
- Students pursuing an intensive course of academic study can attend regular seminars and benefit from the numerous academic events hosted on campus, which serve as a meeting place for some of Europe’s best scientists.
Eth Zurich Swiss Federal Institute of Technology QS rankings
|QS World University Rankings||2023||2022||2021||2020||2019||2018|
Programs at the university
Bachelor’s degree programs at ETH Zurich are as follows-
Architecture and Civil Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Geospatial Engineering
- Electrical Engineering and Information Technology
- Computer Science
- Mechanical Engineering
- Materials Science
Natural Sciences and Mathematics
- Biochemistry – Chemical Biology
- Chemistry/Chemical and Bioengineering
- Computational Sciences and Engineering
- Interdisciplinary Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
Here’s how you can apply to the institute-
- Go to the ETH Zurich official website.
- Choose the curriculum and level of education to which you want to apply.
- Check the list of eligibility requirements on the official website.
- Complete your personal information
- Submit all required documents, including transcripts, standardized test scores, and English proficiency test results.
- If financial assistance is necessary, apply for it.
- Fill out the application and pay the application fees for the institute.
ETH Zurich application fee- After completing the application form, international students need to pay a non-refundable fee of 153 EUR by the ETH Zurich administration.
- Valid passport
- Student visa
- Proof of health insurance/proof of immunization
- Letter of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- Previous academic transcripts
- English language proficiency
- Standardized test scores
- Proof of financial capability
- Proof of payment of the application fee
English proficiency test
|Exam||Minimum scores (Undergraduate)||Minimum scores (Graduate)|
|IELTS||7 (minimum score of 6.5 in each section)||7 (minimum score of 6.5 in each section)|
Services offered at the university
- The Department of Facility Services is in charge of all utilities, as well as technical and infrastructure building management for all ETH Zurich buildings and facilities.
- At the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Library, you can freely connect specialist literature, collections, data, and specimens in a structured manner (ETH Zurich).
- ETH Zurich commits to integrating academic studies and sports.
- By providing information and other services, the IT Services department aids education, research, and administration.
In addition to an excellent academic environment, it offers a diverse range of sports and leisure activities, as well as a vibrant culture and nightlife.
- Many of their students live in self-organized shared housing in Zurich or the surrounding region.
- They participate in the numerous ‘ASVZ’ sports activities, the Academic Orchestra or the Big Band, as well as the activities by student clubs or associations.
- In their spare time, they can enjoy Zurich’s vibrant nightlife, the lake, and the nearby mountains.
- Students can become members of the VSETH student union or one of the faculty associations.
- Student associations contribute to the diverse and rich international culture of ETH Zurich and provide opportunities for students to connect.
Campus and accommodation
The ETH Zurich has a prominent location and is easily accessible by public transportation. The institute has modern facilities for teaching, research, and recreation, and they welcome guests and visitors. The urban experience at this university includes lively squares and streets adorned with restaurants, cafés, shops, and exhibitions, as well as gardens and ample green spaces.
ETH Zurich has two campuses, one in the Hönggerberg district and one in the city center. They provide various services related to teaching, research, and knowledge transfer, as well as recreational activities.
Campus housing is available for all students who wish to live on campus. However, whether students live on campus or elsewhere is entirely up to them. The University Housing Office maintains its search platform and publishes a comprehensive list of additional search options.
- Students at ETH Zurich discover an ideal environment for independent thinking.
- The institute has produced over 21 Nobel Laureates, including Albert Einstein, the father of modern physics and the inventor of the general theory of relativity.
- The university makes significant contributions to the global science and technology industry through its 16 departments, conducting solid academic interdisciplinary research on topics ranging from architecture and biology to chemistry and physics.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your thoughts in the comments below. Please contact us by clicking here for more information on Eth Zurich, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: A blend of academics and culture at Soas university of London
Q1. What is ETH Zurich’s acceptance rate?
Answer- ETH Zurich’s acceptance rate is 27%. Admission at the institute is selective.
Q2. Does ETH Zurich teach in English?
Answer- It teaches some Bachelor’s degree course units in English. The institute teaches most master’s degree programs in English.
Q3. How much do ETH Zurich graduates earn?
Answer- According to Glassdoor, the annual salary for an ETH Zurich Ph.D. student is CHF 61,290. Ph.D. students at ETH Zurich can earn between CHF 40,000 and CHF 86,960 per year.