Table of Contents
About the California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly)
California Polytechnic State University, founded in 1901, is in San Luis Obispo, halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. According to U.S. News & World Report, it is the best public master’s-level university in the USA. This unique academic institution prioritizes hands-on educational experiences that prepare students for today’s scientific and technological world challenges.
California Polytechnic State University is a large university with a total undergraduate enrollment of 20,049 and a large campus that provides many facilities. Tuition fees differ for students. It charges $9,075 in in-state tuition and fees and $20,235 in out-of-state tuition. Let’s find out more about Cal Poly University.
Why study at Cal Poly?
The university’s location provides students with opportunities for hands-on research in winemaking, agriculture, and coastal ecosystems.
- The university is also close to technological and cultural hotspots in Southern California and the Bay Area. California is a global leader in a variety of fields and industries.
- The university also gives students financial aid. There are over 800 scholarships available at California Polytechnic State University, excluding outside awards and fellowships.
- The university offers two types of scholarships- annual scholarships and endowed scholarships. The yearly award is priced at a minimum of USD 977 or five years, totaling USD 4885. Students receive a USD 24420 endowed scholarship as financial assistance.
- The university’s ‘Earn by Doing’ sponsorship programs assist students in funding their courses and working at on-campus facilities such as workshops and laboratories. The university receives a sponsorship award of USD 97701 for technical work and a sponsorship award of USD 4886 for non-technical work.
Courses at Cal Poly
California Polytechnic State University’s six colleges offer 150 undergraduate programs, 50 graduate programs, 84 minor degrees, and 13 credentials.
- Cal Poly programs provide students with modern facilities, ample learning resources, seasoned professionals, and a welcoming learning environment to help them excel in their chosen fields. 89% of Cal Poly graduates are either fully employed or enrolled in graduate school upon graduation.
- Accounting, agriculture, computer science, business administration, computer and information systems, and creative writing are available at the university. Computer technician, quality control, English language and literature, and many other courses are popular undergraduate courses and programs.
- Popular graduate courses and programs include biology, biomedical engineering, public policy, business analytics, nutrition, and many others. Most of the top PG courses at Cal Ploy open for international applicants in October.
Here’s how to apply to California Polytechnic University-
- You must select a major that best fits your educational goals and review the necessary documents. Ensure all supporting documents and requirements are ready for upload.
- The next step is to apply online by the deadline and pay the non-refundable and nontransferable application fee. To acknowledge receipt of the application, the school will send a letter to the applicant.
- You must log in to the portal regularly to view the unique requirements and confirm all personal information at once.
- Ensure to meet all the university’s admission file requirements by the deadline.
- Personal statements
- Resume or CV
- Letters of recommendation
- An international academic evaluation of the candidate’s credentials
- English proficiency test course of IELTS or TOEFL
- SAT or ACT scores that the testing agency has electronically submitted.
- Official transcripts in the institution’s native language and a certified English-translated version should be attached.
Services offered at Cal Poly
- The California Polytechnic State University has built more dorms and made every effort to make campus life more accessible.
- The university has built new classrooms and offices for the Chemistry, Physics, and Social Science programs, as well as new laboratories and a terrace for student study and socializing.
- There is a club for everyone, from Ultimate Frisbee to Ballroom dance, distance timing, and coast surfing. Because of the ideal climate, students can participate in various year-round outdoor activities.
- The university’s campus offers a one-of-a-kind program called Equine Sciences. Students studying at Cal Poly can tailor their curriculum to fit more specifically equine-related careers such as assisted reproductive therapies or studying nutrition.
International student fees
For students living in the residence hall
|Tuition and fees (Colleges of Engineering, Architecture or Agriculture)||$12,204|
|Tuition and fees (Colleges of Science and Math or College of Business)||$11,706|
|Tuition and fees (College of Liberal Arts)||$11,490|
|Mandatory health insurance||$1,586|
|Total tuition and fees (Colleges of Engineering, Architecture or Agriculture)||$34,874|
|Total tuition and fees (Colleges of Science and Math or College of Business)||$34,376|
|Total tuition and fees (College of Liberal Arts)||$34,160|
|Books and materials||$1,089|
|Total non-tuition and fee expenses||$21,318|
|Total (Colleges of Engineering, Architecture or Agriculture)||$ 56,192|
|Total (College of Liberal Arts)||$55,478|
|Total (Colleges of Science and Math or College of Business)||$55,694|
- The six academic colleges of California Polytechnic State University offer over 150 undergraduate majors and minors.
- In the QS World University Rankings, California Polytechnic State University ranks 1201-1400.
- Annual scholarships and endowed scholarships are available at the university.
- The university’s ‘Earn by Doing’ sponsorship programs help students fund their classes and work at on-campus facilities like workshops and laboratories.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your views about the blog in the comments below. Please get in touch with us by clicking here for more information on California Polytechnic State University. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Top 7 reasons to join the University of Bordeaux
Q1. What is the acceptance rate at California Polytechnic State University?
Answer- Admission to California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, is a bit selective, with a 33% acceptance rate.
Q2. Does Cal Poly require the GRE?
Answer- You must take the GRE and achieve a score of 50 or higher in each of the three categories: quantitative, verbal, and writing. The Cal Poly Admissions Office must receive your GRE scores by the application deadline for your program.
Q3. Why is San Luis Obispo so popular?
Answer- San Luis Obispo is a well-known tourist destination for its historic architecture, vineyards, and hospitality. It is also famous for being the home of California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo.