Table of Contents
About Wigan and Leigh College (WLC)
Wigan & Leigh College has been setting the standard for quality education and training since 1857. These accomplishments are possible through outstanding teaching, support, and guidance across a wide range of academic, technical, vocational, and apprenticeship courses.
The college has several locations throughout the borough. Wigan’s Parson’s Walk Centre, School for the Arts, and Pagefield Centre are all close to the town center. Leigh College and The Image Centre are close to Leigh’s town center.
The college offers a wide range of courses and excellent progression routes that will prepare you for your future career. Let’s find out more about Wigan and Leigh College.
Why study at Wigan and Leigh College?
Wigan and Leigh believe in creating outstanding futures at the college.
- A Levels (these are traditional qualifications offered by schools and colleges to students aged 16 to 19) have a 100% pass rate.
- Every year, over 400 students progress to the university. Many students go on to complete an apprenticeship or find work. It has small specialist centers with cutting-edge facilities.
- The college provides high-quality education up to the degree level.
- Wigan and Leigh are investing in your future as a student, by building brand-new, cutting-edge facilities and equipment.
- It offers an exceptional selection of vocational, technical, and academic programs.
- The students compete in local, regional, and national competitions. The college has excellent relationships with employers, which allows you to gain valuable industry experience.
- The University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) and Pearson Edexcel have strong links with the college.
Centers of Excellence
The well-established Centres of Excellence offer a diverse range of courses including the degree level and apprenticeships for outstanding careers in specialized industries. Wigan and Leigh have established Centers of Excellence in the following areas-
- Creative Arts
- Health & Social Care
How do the Centers of Excellence make a difference?
- The established Centers of Excellence dedicate to raising aspirations in Further Education and Higher Education through the delivery of excellence in learning.
- Students continue to university, apprenticeships, or employment in their chosen field.
- College’s expert tutors have extensive industry experience and hold Ph.D., Master, and Post-Graduate degrees in their fields.
- Students have won national skill competitions and industry awards.
- The college has world-class facilities and ongoing industry projects with top companies on a local, national, and international scale.
- Employer engagement and partnerships by the centers provide excellent opportunities.
WLC has six major sites in the two eponymous towns. All WLC campuses are easily accessible by local public transportation and are within walking distance of town centers. The Parson’s Walk Centre (which houses extensive commercial facilities such as a hair and beauty salon, the Wheel restaurant, and a travel shop).
The Pagefield Centre (which houses state-of-the-art classrooms and workshops in areas ranging from business and management to construction crafts and motor vehicle engineering).
The School for the Arts is in Wigan (which houses modern facilities, including art and design and dance studios, performance space, photographic darkrooms, Apple Mac and IT suites, editing and recording studios, and a TV studio).
WLC campuses in Leigh include the Image Centre- a designated ‘Wella Centre of Excellence’ dedicated to hair, beauty, and holistic therapy. It provides realistic working environments such as hairdressing and beauty salons, a nail studio, a theatrical and media make-up room, a spa pool, a sauna, and a flotation couch.
The Sixth Form Centre provides modern facilities such as specialist science laboratories, media edit suites, music rooms, a theatrical performance space, art workshops/studios, a language laboratory, a learning resources technology center, and a students’ common room.
The Impact Centre at Parson’s Walk houses sports and fitness facilities. Treadmills, step machines, cycles, weights, and other gym equipment are all available in this fitness suite.
Wigan and Leigh Centres recently received a multi-million-pound investment to provide you with cutting-edge facilities, resources, and learning environments. When you choose to study at the college, one thing is sure, it will encourage and support you in reaching your full potential.
- A Level
- Access to Higher Education
- Animal Management
- Art & Design
- Bakery School
- Beauty and Holistic Therapy
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Catering & Hospitality
- Child Care & Early Years Education
- Computer Science and Digital Skills
- Construction Crafts
- Construction Studies / Civil Engineering
- Distance Learning
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Fashion & Clothing
- Floristry & Horticulture
- Foundation Studies
- Gas Centre
- Graphic Design
- Health & Social Care
- Management & Professional
- Mechanical Engineering
- Motor Vehicle Engineering
- Painting & Decorating
- Performing Arts
- Public Services
- Teacher Education
- Teaching Assistants
- Travel & Tourism
Admission to the college
For admission into WLC’s full-time higher national diplomas and foundation programs, international students need to apply through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS). WLC’s UCAS institution code is W67.
- Students must submit admission applications online at www.ucas.com.
- For other programs, students can apply directly to the college.
- Students must submit high school diplomas and IELTS (International English Language Testing System) scores, along with the admission application.
- The entry qualifications required for each course, however, differ depending on the subject and level.
- Wigan and Leigh College has a pass rate of 100% in 37 subjects. The college offers 40-plus vocational education programs across various disciplines.
- The well-known Centres of Excellence provide a wide range of courses up to and including the degree level, as well as apprenticeships for outstanding careers in specialized industries.
- International students must apply through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service for admission to WLC’s full-time higher national diploma and foundation programs.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your thoughts in the comments below. Please contact us by clicking here for more information on Wigan and Leigh College. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Norwich University of the Arts | All you need to know before studying at this university!
Q1. What is a foundation degree at Wigan and Leigh College?
Answer- Foundation degrees allow students to progress onto a Top-up Honours Degree program or into employment. Employers are the primary focus of these full-time and part-time courses. Students gain various transferable skills through projects, assignments, and practical work.
Q2. Is there a deadline date for full-time applications?
Answer- Wigan & Leigh College does not have an application deadline. However, you should apply as soon as possible because many of its courses are in high demand.
Q3. Is the UK good for international students?
Answer- The United Kingdom is a multicultural country that is extremely popular with international students. The UK is the world’s second most popular destination for international students.