Table of Contents
- 1. Wings of Fire: An Autobiography by A.P.J Abdul Kalam, Arun Tiwari
- 2. Turning Points: A Journey Through Challenges by A.P.J Abdul Kalam
- 3. My Journey: Transforming Dreams into Actions by A.P.J Abdul Kalam
- 4. India 2020: A Vision for the New Millennium by A.P.J Abdul Kalam, Y. S. Rajan
- 5. Envisioning an Empowered Nation by A.P.J Abdul Kalam with A Sivathanu Pillai
- 6. Ignited Minds: Unleashing the Power Within India by A.P. J Abdul Kalam
- 7. Indomitable Spirit by A.P.J Abdul Kalam
- 8. The Luminous Sparks by A.P.J Abdul Kalam
- 9. Transcendence: My Spiritual Experiences with Pramukh Swamiji by A.P.J Abdul Kalam with Arun Tiwari
- 10. Forge your Future: Candid, Forthright, Inspiring by A.P.J Abdul Kalam
- Some more APJ Abdul Kalam books that contain inspiring thoughts and ideas
The 11th President of India, Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam, was born in Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu, on the 15th of October 1931. He believed in the idea of India as a nation that would be self-sufficient to protect itself and hence contributed significantly to making a nuclear-armed country. Dr. Kalam was also the recipient of some of the most prestigious civilian awards, including the Padma Bhushan (1981), the Padma Vibhushan (1990), and the highest civilian award – the Bharat Ratna (1997). However, after all his feats, he continued to emphasize the role of education and knowledge. Here is a compiled list of 10 APJ Abdul Kalam books, a few of which he has co-written with other trusted individuals.
1. Wings of Fire: An Autobiography by A.P.J Abdul Kalam, Arun Tiwari
This book is the autobiography of Dr. Kalam which co-wrote with Arun Tiwari, an Indian missile scientist who was also a professor and a published author. It chronicles the early life of Dr. Kalam and the series of events inclusive of struggles that led to his choice of career, his work for all of those years at NASA, apart from other facilities and his origin story of becoming the Missile Man of India. Potentially one of the best APJ Abdul Kalam books, it has been translated into 13 languages.
2. Turning Points: A Journey Through Challenges by A.P.J Abdul Kalam
A sequel to Wings of Fire, Turning Points is a continuation of the former President’s life story which details his career and presidency that were not public knowledge prior to the publishing of this memoir. He makes known, his side of things regarding certain points of the controversy.
3. My Journey: Transforming Dreams into Actions by A.P.J Abdul Kalam
Another one of deeply personal APJ Abdul Kalam books, My Journey is the story of the former President’s life that lays emphasis on the people who made the deepest impact on him. It includes some key incidents that occurred in his youth which helped bring him on the trajectory he took later on in life. The book contains deeply personal anecdotes that are rich with nostalgia centered on memories of those closest to him, his father, mother, sister and his mentor, to name a few.
4. India 2020: A Vision for the New Millennium by A.P.J Abdul Kalam, Y. S. Rajan
The book was co-written by Dr Kalam and Yagnaswami Sundara Rajan, a scientist and administrator and Honorary Distinguished Professor in ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation). It talks about the future Dr Kalam saw for India concerning progress and development.
5. Envisioning an Empowered Nation by A.P.J Abdul Kalam with A Sivathanu Pillai
This book addresses the role of Indians in various professional fields such as education, law, information and communication technology, healthcare, and design. It talks about the importance of technology in terms of overall progress leading to a developed nation.
6. Ignited Minds: Unleashing the Power Within India by A.P. J Abdul Kalam
Dr Kalam served as a visiting professor at various academic and research facilities all across the country post-presidency. In the book, he addresses the youth of India, and it is full of ideas encouraging and supportive of dreams and progress.
7. Indomitable Spirit by A.P.J Abdul Kalam
Some of the books written by Dr A.P.J Abdul Kalam were published during his tenure as President until 2007. Indomitable Spirit is one among other APJ Abdul Kalam books that comprised a collection of various speeches, public addresses and surveys made by him during his presidency.
8. The Luminous Sparks by A.P.J Abdul Kalam
This book is a collection of narrations, moments from his youth, adulthood and career in the form of poems penned by the former President himself and biographical notes that are paired with beautiful visuals created by well-known artists.
9. Transcendence: My Spiritual Experiences with Pramukh Swamiji by A.P.J Abdul Kalam with Arun Tiwari
In Transcendence, Dr Kalam and Arun Tiwari talk about a relationship between science and spirituality that is reflected by the friendship the former President shared with Pramukh Swamiji. They address the state of Indian technology, politics, and world affairs, all of which are interlaced with his deep connection to Swamiji.
10. Forge your Future: Candid, Forthright, Inspiring by A.P.J Abdul Kalam
Voluntarily responding to emails may seem like an alien concept but Dr Kalam received about 300 emails regularly. He set aside a couple of hours daily to go through and answer them. Dr Kalam’s answers to the questions were based on the insight he gained from his life experiences and his interactions with other political and spiritual figures.
There you have it, the 10 most essential books for your bookshelf.
Some more APJ Abdul Kalam books that contain inspiring thoughts and ideas
- You Are Born To Blossom: Take My Journey Beyond by A P J Abdul Kalam and Arun Tiwari
- Target 3 Billion by A P J Abdul Kalam and Srijan Pal Singh
- A Manifesto for Change: A Sequel to India 2020 by A P J Abdul Kalam and V Ponraj
- Reignited: Scientific Pathways to a Brighter Future by A P J Abdul Kalam and Srijan Pal Singh
- Advantage India: From Challenge to Opportunity by A P J Abdul Kalam and Srijan Pal Singh
- Developments in Fluid Mechanics and Space Technology by A P J Abdul Kalam and Roddam Narasimha
- Mission India by A P J Abdul Kalam, Paintings by Manav Gupta
- Inspiring Thoughts by A P J Abdul Kalam
- Eternal Quest: Life and Times of Dr Kalam by S Chandra; Pentagon Publishers, 2002
- President A P J Abdul Kalam by R K Pruthi; Anmol Publications, 2002
- A P J Abdul Kalam: The Visionary of India by K Bhushan, G Katyal; A P H Pub Corp, 2002
- The Kalam Effect: My Years with the President by P M Nair; Harper Collins, 2008
- My Days With Mahatma Abdul Kalam by Fr A K George; Novel Corporation, 2009
- A.P.J. Abdul Kalam: A Life by ArunTiwari; Haper Collins, 2015
- The People’s President: Dr A P J Abdul Kalam by S M Khan; Bloomsbury Publishing, 2016
Liked this blog? Read Books to read | Top 5 fiction books every college student must read!
Q1. Are A.P.J Abdul Kalam books in English?
Answer – Yes, his books are translated into various languages, apart from English and Tamil.
Q2. Are A.P.J Abdul Kalam books online reading readily available?
Answer – Yes, many websites offer online reading and downloading for books by Dr Kalam.
Q3. Which is the most popular book of A.P.J Abdul Kalam?
Answer – Arguably, Wings of Fire: An Autobiography wins the popular vote although a lot of his books appeal to different people.