Table of Contents
Choosing your place of residence when planning for international education in the USA might be a difficult task. After all, there are some amazing places in the USA to choose from. But, if you keep certain things in mind like finances, distance, etc., then you can make the right choice easily.
If you don’t know how to begin, then let us make it easier for you.
Read about some of these best places in the USA to help you make the right decision.
But first, why live in the USA?
Currently, work and education are the top reasons people from all over the world move to the USA. Over a million people are attracted to this nation each year to pursue higher education.
As the USA offers a plethora of opportunities, many people stay back in the country to find employment.
The only potential downside is the high cost of living. But, this lack of affordability doesn’t seem to stop students from choosing to move to some best places in the USA.
In this list, we go through some of them as well as a bit about each location:
- Location- Located on the northeastern coast of the USA, Boston is a large and populous city within the state of Massachusetts. The surrounding metropolitan area is home to many educational and commercial institutions, with the Boston Harbor being a major shipping spot along the coast.
- Nearby Universities
- We are sure you have heard the name Harvard University. Boston has this top-ranking university that is the dream of many international students. Located in Cambridge Town, it is one of the best places in the USA for education.
- Another top-tier institution is the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, popularly known as MIT.
- Tufts, Brandeis, and Boston universities are all within the Boston and Cambridge area. Very few places in the USA have this kind of higher-education access in such a small area. Therefore, research well about Boston while shortlisting the best places in the USA to study.
- Attractions- The area is a hub for biotech companies, as well as academia and other high-tech businesses. Therefore, you can find various employment opportunities in these domains. Apart from these, there are multiple tourist attractions in the area such as:
- A sightseeing boat ride on the Charles River
- The historic Fenway Park stadium
- Trolley tours
- Harbor cruise tour
- New England Museum, and many more.
#2. New York
- Location- The city that never sleeps, New York is one of the most populous cities in the northeastern the USA. The city is at the spot where the Hudson River flows into the ocean and is one of the most famous places in the USA. New York City, or NYC for short, is often considered the financial capital of the world and the international hub of business.
- Nearby Universities – The surrounding metropolitan area is home to major educational institutions.
- If you have a creative flair and want to make a career out of your creative talent, then check out these universities:
- New York Film Academy
- Parsons School of Design
- The Juilliard School
- The School of Visual Arts
The area is also home to numerous research centers across various fields, including cancer, medicine, and technology.
- Attractions – It is a major point of international financial business and trade in the USA. You can find employment opportunities across all sectors, including advanced technology, medicine, and finance. Besides this, it is home to some major tourist attractions. These include:
- The ever-popular Statue of Liberty
- Empire State Building
- Ellis Island
- The Broadway Theatre
- Times Square
- Central Park, etc.
With its fame, NYC draws upwards of 60 million tourists a year, making it one of the most visited places in the USA.
#3. San Francisco
- Location- On the opposite side of the contiguous USA, San Francisco is in the state of California within the Bay Area. It features a multitude of hills inside city limits, and there are several islands and other large cities very close. As a hub for educational, financial, and commercial activity in California, this is one of the top places in the USA for international students.
- Nearby Universities – University of California, San Francisco is one of the largest university systems in the area, along with the San Francisco State University. Both of these offer high-quality degrees in a variety of fields.
- Some other top institutions are:
- The University of San Francisco
- Hastings College of the Law
- Golden Gate University
- Besides these, there are some specialized centers for learning such as:
- Academy of Art University
- San Francisco Conservatory of Music
- California Culinary Academy
- California Institute of Integral Studies
So, if you are looking for some best places in the USA to study, San Francisco might be your place!
- Attractions – San Francisco and the surrounding areas have a developed service sector with finance, high-technology, and tourism being the main markets. Additionally, various attractions keep this place bustling with tourists. Some of these are:
- The Golden Gate Bridge
- Alamo Square Park
- Lombard Street
- Pier 39
- Alcatraz Island
The city is also known for its thriving cultural events and nightlife.
- Location- Located on the banks of Lake Michigan in the eastern half of the USA within Illinois, Chicago is often nicknamed as the ‘Windy City.’ The city is known for its architecture, neighborhood, and lake beaches, with the Chicago River and Calumet River both flowing through the city itself.
- Nearby Universities – Well, Chicago has some of the oldest universities, including:
- The University of Chicago
- Northwestern University
- Illinois Institute of Technology
- Other top educational institutions include:
- Loyola University Chicago
- Chicago State University
- Saint Xavier University.
- There are a collection of leading psychological and theological institutions in the vicinity, such as:
- Adler School of Professional Psychology
- Institute for Clinical Social Work
- Catholic Theological Union and Moody Bible Institute.
┏ Attractions – Science and engineering are a few top fields for employment here. Besides this, the finance sector is always thriving since the city is a major business center (both nationally and globally).
- For students of history and architecture, the city is one of the best places in the USA to live in and soak up the rich heritage. A few popular tourist experiences include:
- Navy Pier
- Grant Park
- 360 Chicago Observation Deck
- Chicago History Museum
- Polish Museum of America
Okay, so which one should you pick?
While we’ve listed only the top and most famous places in the USA for education (and subsequently for employment), this is by no means a complete list. There are many other popular places, including Los Angeles, Washington DC, and Philadelphia. Besides these, less popular but more affordable options are also available, including San Diego, Wyoming, and Dallas.
Remember, the perfect university does not exist; you need to create a checklist to figure which one will be the most appropriate for you. Be sure to check the course material, financial considerations, student accommodations, and future job prospects before making any decision.
Also, if you need any assistance with selecting the right university for you, know that we can help. All you have to do is reach out to us.
Q1. Is New York an expensive city to study in?
Answer- New York City has one of the highest housing costs in the world, and some of the top universities there have higher tuition fees. However, check with your college as there may be a subsidized/affordable student housing option available.
Q2. What are the best places in the USA for an education in medicine?
Answer- Some of the top institutes for medical education in the USA are:
- Duke University
- John Hopkins University
- New York University
- Columbia University
Q3. What are the most popular fields for study in the USA?
Answer- As a general trend, computer science, technology, engineering, and science are a few sectors experiencing high demand.