Table of Contents
- About Simon Fraser University (SFU)
- The differentiating factor
- QS World University Rankings for SFU
- Times Higher Education rankings
- US News and World Report ranking for SFU
- Key takeaways
About Simon Fraser University (SFU)
The university provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experiences they need to succeed in an ever-changing and challenging world. Simon Fraser University leads the world in research, knowledge development, and innovation. It forms long-term alliances to improve the social, economic, and cultural well-being of the communities it serves. With over 170,000 alumni worldwide, its work and impact are visible in every corner of the globe. SFU’s vibrant campuses in British Columbia’s three largest cities, Burnaby, Surrey, and Vancouver, shape minds and communities. The university has high rankings from various academic publications. Let’s find out about its national and global rankings. Keep reading to learn more about Simon Fraser University ranking.
The differentiating factor
Community involvement is an essential component of everything the university does. As part of its academic and research mission, SFU establishes and nurtures community connections at home and abroad. Let’s find out what’s the reason behind its rankings.
- The university is one of Canada’s top 15 research universities, with a global reputation for scholarship and research excellence.
- SFU distinguishes itself by the extraordinary breadth of educational and learning opportunities available to students on campus and in the community.
- A diverse range of local and international field schools and exchanges, undergraduate student research awards, volunteer stewardship activities, and leadership training provides students with valuable experiential learning.
- The comprehensive co-op education program, one of the first in Canada and now one of the largest, has placed over 8,500 students in jobs with multinational corporations.
- It ranks 1st in Canada as the most innovative university.
- The collaborative culture exposes students to new perspectives and helps them develop complementary skill sets.
QS World University Rankings for SFU
|QS World University Rankings||2023||2022||2021||2020||2019||2018||2017|
QS World Ranking cores for SFU
|Citations per faculty||53.5|
|International research network||75.6|
QS World University Ranking by subject
|Computer Science and Information Systems||114|
|Communication and Media Studies||101-150|
|English Language and Literature||101-150|
|Art and Design||101-150|
|Education and Training||151-200|
|Statistics and Operational Research||201-230|
|Economics and Econometrics||201-250|
|Business and Management Studies||201-250|
|Accounting and Finance||201-250|
|Arts and Humanities||242|
|Social Sciences and Management||285|
|Engineering – Electrical and Electronic||301-350|
|Physics and Astronomy||351-400|
|Engineering and Technology||390|
|Life Sciences and Medicine||401-450|
Times Higher Education rankings
|Times Higher Education||2023||2022||2021||2020||2019||2018||2017|
Times Higher Education ranking core for 2023
Times Higher Education subject rankings
- Arts and humanities 2023 ranking- 151-175
- Engineering and technology 2023 ranking- 301-400
- Life sciences 2023 ranking- 201-250
- Physical sciences 2023 ranking- 301-400
- Social sciences 2023 ranking- 126-150
- Business and economics 2023 ranking- 251-300
- Computer science 2023 ranking- 101-125
- Psychology- 101-125
- Education 2023 ranking- 89
Times Higher Education impact rankings
- Partnerships for the goals 2022 ranking- 301-400
- Peace, justice, and strong institutions 2022 ranking- 67
- Life on land- 101-200
- Life below water-84
- Climate action- 54
- Responsible consumption and production 2022 ranking- 201-300
- Sustainable cities and communities 2022 ranking- 8
- Reducing inequalities 2022 ranking- 201-300
- Industry, Innovation, and Infrastructure 2022 ranking- 101-200
- Decent work and economic growth- 401-600
- Affordable and clean energy- 201-300
- Clean water and sanitation 2022 ranking- 101-200
- Gender equality 2022 ranking- 101-200
- Quality education- 201-300
- Good health and wellbeing 2022 ranking-201-300
- Zero hunger 2022 ranking- 101-200
- No poverty 2022 ranking- 101-200
- Impact ranking 2022 ranking- 101-200
US News and World Report ranking for SFU
- Best Global Universities (tie)- 317
- Best Global Universities in Canada- 12
US News and World Report subject ranking
|Biology and Biochemistry (tie)||332|
|Clinical Medicine (tie)||540|
|Computer Science (tie)||166|
|Economics and Business||170|
|Electrical and Electronic Engineering (tie)||338|
|Plant and Animal Science (tie)||401|
|Public, Environmental and Occupational Health||128|
|Social Sciences and Public Health (tie)||101|
US News and World Report ranking core for SFU
|Global research reputation||427|
|Regional research reputation||110|
|International collaboration – relative to the country||585|
|Number of publications that are among 10% most cited||393|
|Percentage of total publications that are among 10% most cited||413|
|Normalized citation impact||336|
|Number of highly cited papers that are among the top 1% most cited in their respective field||391|
|Percentage of total publications that are among the top 1% most highly cited papers||513|
- Simon Fraser University is one of Canada’s top 15 research universities.
- The ranking of Simon Fraser University 1st in Canada as the most innovative university.
- It ranks 328th worldwide as per QS World University Rankings.
- As per US News and World Report, it ranks 317th among the Best Global Universities.
- Students benefit from the collaborative culture by exploring new perspectives and developing complementary skill sets.
Did you find this blog helpful? Do share your perspectives and opinions in the comments below. Please contact us by clicking here for more information on Simon Fraser University ranking. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Top 5 reasons to attend Thammasat University
Q1. Is it challenging to get into Simon Fraser University?
Answer- Most SFU programs necessitate the completion of a few specific high school courses. They also expect you to have a grade point average (GPA). between 70% and 80%. To be a competitive candidate, the university recommends aiming for a GPA in the 90% range.
Q2. What is Simon Fraser University’s acceptance rate?
Answer- Simon Fraser University has an acceptance rate of 59%. With the necessary documents and scores, you can easily get into the university.
Q3. Is Burnaby a good place to live?
Answer- Burnaby is a fantastic place to live, with accessible transportation, fantastic shopping and dining options, modern schools, and excellent community resources. It is a fun and vibrant city to live in because of its many parks, outdoor spaces, and entertainment attractions.