Table of Contents
- #1. Academic counselor | The evolution of academia over the years
- #2. Who is an academic counselor?
- #3. What is academic counseling?
- #4. Responsibilities of an academic counselor
- #5. Skills required to be an academic counselor
- #6. How to be an academic counselor?
- #7. Top universities for a degree in education
- #8. Academic counselor | The cost of study
- #9. Academic counselor | Applying for a job
- #10. Job opportunities for an academic counselor
- #11. Key takeaways
#1. Academic counselor | The evolution of academia over the years
Academia is a forever presence that keeps evolving with the century’s needs. Today, you can choose from the likes of sciences to the preferences of arts, media, and so on. However, with so many great options to choose from, students often wonder which path to take. In such a time, an academic counselor comes to your rescue.
#2. Who is an academic counselor?
All in all, academic counselors are guides who provide valuable insights and suggest suitable subjects/streams in sync with students’ interests and capabilities. These professionals are crucial in a student’s life for they provide:
- A thorough account of the nuances that one might face.
- Starting from application to tests.
- Other such assistance programs.
As a matter of fact, academic counselors have proven to be a boon in students’ higher success rate by minimizing their anxiety and feeling lost in a high-demanding place like a university.
#3. What is academic counseling?
Academic counseling is an interactive process of advising students on the issues they face in their educational programs. It can be on their course choices, professional sphere after graduation, for an interview, or even tackling university tasks. Academic counseling has proven to be an enriching practice in schools and universities.
#4. Responsibilities of an academic counselor
Although the responsibilities of an academic counselor for school and an academic college counselor vary; here are a few responsibilities that you should know of –
- Establishing a trustworthy and professional relationship with students to help them feel secure and understood.
- Speaking with students about their interests and providing data about relevant colleges offering the same.
- Be vigilant of students’ academic performance and discuss ways to achieve their goals quickly.
- Additionally, encouraging networking and mentorship.
- Hosting career workshops to educate, inspire, and discuss present opportunities regarding career choices in the future.
In addition to these, a counselor is responsible for developing and grooming social skills amongst students to transcend from academia to the career of choice seamlessly.
#5. Skills required to be an academic counselor
All in all, a counselor should have excellent communication skills. In addition to this, a counselor should also have skills like –
- Empathy and patience
- Problem-solving mindset
- Organized planning and scheduling
- Great listening skills
#6. How to be an academic counselor?
Now that you know an academic counselor’s necessary skills and responsibilities, let’s move on to becoming one.
- First, you will need a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Education.
- The programs train individuals with the foundational theory of knowledge alongside real-life practical experiences.
- Additionally, students learn the nitty-gritty of educating methods. Moreover, candidates learn to identify issues, carry out data-driven decisions, and analyze problems with a systemic approach.
A Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) degree can suffice for a school academic counselor. However, some universities require a Master of Education (M.Ed.) and even an M.Phil.
#7. Top universities for a degree in education
As a matter of fact, renowned universities worldwide offer bachelor’s and master’s programs in education, such as –
- Harvard University
- University of Cambridge
- University of Massachusetts
- Toronto University
- University of Oxford
- Stanford University
- North Eastern University
- London Business School
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of British Columbia
#8. Academic counselor | The cost of study
The cost of study varies from university to university. All in all, the average tuition fee for a master’s degree ranges between $5000 and $10,000 in the US. However, it may cost a couple of thousands more or less in the UK, Australia, and Canada.
In addition to this, you also have to keep the other expenses in mind, such as living costs, transportation costs, and so on. However, with the scholarships available today, you can significantly reduce the cost of studying abroad.
#9. Academic counselor | Applying for a job
As a matter of fact, the role of an academic counselor is not an easy one. However, if you have the knack for spreading values amongst young minds, you can surely opt for it. Here are certain things you need to keep in mind before applying for a job –
1. College or school academic counselor
Knowing why you want to choose this path will prove beneficial. It will test your limits and even push further to test your resilience. Keep in mind that both the job responsibilities will broadly differ.
As a matter of fact, the key to quickly getting academic counselor jobs is to intern alongside your degree. Many recruiters will not list it as a requirement, but showing a relevant set of experience in the field will give you an upper hand.
3. Licensed certificate
At times, a teaching license to start practicing as an academic counselor may be necessary. Hence, get licensed under certified boards in your state and become an authorized counselor. It will also improve exposure on your part and help you fetch more job opportunities.
#10. Job opportunities for an academic counselor
Today, not only schools and colleges but corporate offices also hire counselors. As a matter of fact, there are a lot of opportunities for an academic counselor. In addition to this, you can also opt for –
- Instructional Coordinator
- Education Administrator
The average salary of an academic counselor ranges from $41,000 to $61,000.
#11. Key takeaways
Summarizing the blog,
- An academic counselor garners the youth.
- Additionally, they provide the children with better guidance and facilities.
- As a matter of fact, a career as an academic counselor is enriching.
- All in all, academic counselors contribute to a better world by training young minds to embark upon their careers.
Contact us for more information about job roles, standard examination information, and much more.