Table of Contents
- LUT university- renowned for its academic and research prospects
- LUT university- an overview
- Brief history
- Units of research Mikkeli and Kouvola
- International Programs
- Engineering Science and Technology (Bachelor of Science – Technology)
- Programs at Heibei University of Technology (Bachelor of Science – Technology)
- Master’s Programs in Technology
- Master’s Programmes in Business Administration
- Key takeaways
LUT university- renowned for its academic and research prospects
University of Technology Lappeenranta-Lahti (LUT University) is a public science university in Finland that has brought science and business together since 1969.
The LUT community has a shared attitude and mindset. LUT approaches things differently. It examines things from unexpected angles, poses questions, and seeks solutions. The LUT community is a community of curious people who inspire other curious people to fight for a better world.
LUT university- an overview
Clean energy, water, and air are life-giving resources for which LUT University seeks new solutions using technology and business expertise. They assist society and businesses in achieving long-term renewal. LUT promotes sustainable development and is accountable for all its operations. Strategic decisions, scientific research, academic education, and social interaction are all guided by ecological, economic, and social sustainability principles.
LUT University has a very international campus community, with over 7000 students representing over 80 nationalities. Campuses are situated in the Finnish cities of Lappeenranta and Lahti. Both cities share LUT’s sustainability vision. Lappeenranta University won the European Green Leaf Award for 2021, and its branch Lahti University won the European Green Capital Award.
Master’s, bachelor’s, doctoral, exchange, and seasonal programs are available. You can pursue a Master’s degree in Business Administration, Chemical Engineering, Computational Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Energy Technology, Environmental Technology, Industrial Management, Mechanical Engineering, or Software Engineering.
Electrical Engineering, Energy Technology, Environmental Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Software Engineering, and Industrial Engineering and Management are the options at the Bachelor’s level.
The green and modern campuses of LUT University provide a compact combination of all the services students require. Most student apartments are within walking distance of the LUT science departments, and students and staff have numerous excellent sports and recreation facilities on the LUT campuses.
Since 1969, LUT University (in Finnish: Lappeenrannan teknillinen korkeakoulu, LTKK, and from 2003 Lappeenrannan-Lahden teknillinen yliopisto, LTY) has served as an academic forerunner by combining technology and business. The Finnish government planned to establish the University of Eastern Finland in Lappeenranta in the 1950s and 1960s, but it was eventually decentralized in three cities-Lappeenranta, Kuopio, and Joensuu. Only the engineering departments were located in Lappeenranta. The department of Business Administration was added to the Lappeenranta Campus in 1991.
In 2010, the campuses of Kuopio and Joensuu were merged into the University of Eastern Finland, while the LUT University retained its Lappeenranta campus and operations in Lahti and the Lahti campus.
In 1996, LUT University established permanent operations in Lahti.
LUT University rebranded from the Lappeenranta University of Technology to the Lappeenranta-Lahti University of Technology after the second campus opened, keeping the LUT abbreviation.
Units of research Mikkeli and Kouvola
- The Mikkeli research unit was founded in 2002 and currently employs five professors who collaborate with groups of research students. The research unit is primarily concerned with research and doctoral studies. Mikkeli’s current research focuses on climate issues.
- The Kouvola research unit has been operating since 2002 and focuses on technology, business research, and railway logistics. The master’s program in innovation logistics is housed in the research unit.
- Due to the university’s large number of international programs and students, LUT University is known as Finland’s International University. Over 15% of LUT University’s student population is international, with 94 different nationalities represented.
- Over 92% of international students were satisfied with their studies at LUT University.
- Lappeenranta, the city where LUT University’s main campus is located, is also known as a friendly international city.
LUT offers six different international bachelor’s programs in English
- Electrical Engineering* (Lappeenranta Campus)
- Mechanical Engineering* (Lappeenranta Campus)
- Technology and Engineering Science (Lappeenranta Campus)
- Energy Technology* (Lahti Campus)
- Industrial Engineering and Management (Lahti Campus)
- Software Systems and Engineering* (Lahti Campus)
Bachelor’s programs marked with a * are double-degree programs. The student will receive a diploma from LUT University and LUT University’s partner university, the Heibei University of Technology in China.
As of 2022, LUT University does not offer international bachelor’s programs in Business and Economics.
Engineering Science and Technology (Bachelor of Science – Technology)
The Technology and Engineering Science program was LUT University’s first English bachelor’s degree program, where students learned various energy technology, environmental engineering, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering skills.
Students will select a major subject to specialize in, with the option of continuing on to master’s studies. This is especially useful in business and engineering, where it is preferable to have skills in multiple engineering fields. The program believes that graduates who combine skills from various engineering fields will be able to solve difficult problems in more efficient and innovative ways that are better for the environment and more profitable for businesses.
Programs at Heibei University of Technology (Bachelor of Science – Technology)
LUT University of Technology has partnered with the Heibei University of Technology (HEBUT) to offer various English-based bachelor’s programs in Engineering sciences. Graduates of the programs will be awarded diplomas from both LUT University and HEBUT. The program teaches engineering in Finland, the European Union, and China. The program aims to develop a workforce of engineers with the knowledge and familiarity to work in international environments and solve difficult problems that require global understanding and participation. Mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, software systems and engineering, and energy technology are the current bachelor’s programs in collaboration with HEBUT.
LUT also offers 26 Master’s level international English programs.
Master’s Programs in Technology
- Biorefineries (Lappeenranta campus)
- Chemical Engineering (Lappeenranta campus)
- Water Technology (Mikkeli research unit)
- Sustainable Biomass and Bioproduct Engineering (Lappeenranta campus)
- Business analytics, Engineering Science (Lappeenranta campus)
- Data-Centric Engineering (Lappeenranta campus)
- Technical Physics (Lappeenranta campus)
- Electric Transportation Systems (Lahti campus)
- Electrical Engineering (Lappeenranta campus)
- Sustainable Energy Systems (Lappeenranta campus)
- Energy Conversion (Lappeenranta campus)
- Nuclear Engineering (Lappeenranta campus)
- Sustainability Science and Solutions (Lappeenranta campus)
- Circular Economy (Lahti campus)
- Global Management of Innovation and Technology (Lappeenranta campus)
- Innovation and Logistics (Kouvola research unit)
- Industrial Design Engineering (Lahti campus)
- Materials Science and Technology (Lappeenranta campus)
- Mechanical Engineering (Lappeenranta campus)
- Digital Systems and Service Development (Lahti campus)
- Software Engineering and Digital Transformation (Lappeenranta campus)
- Software Product Management and Business (Lahti campus)
- Sustainable ICT Solutions of Tomorrow (Lappeenranta campus)
- Software Engineers for Green Deal (Lappeenranta campus)
Master’s Programmes in Business Administration
- International Business and Entrepreneurship (Lappeenranta Campus)
- Business Analytics (Lappeenranta Campus)
- International Marketing and Management (Lappeenranta Campus)
- Strategic Finance and Analytics (Lappeenranta Campus)
- Supply Management (Lappeenranta Campus)
- University of Technology Lappeenranta-Lahti LUT (LUT University) is a public science and research university in Finland that has provided a combination of science and business courses since 1969.
- LUT University welcomes the international campus community with over 7000 students representing over 80 nationalities. LUT Campuses are situated in the Finnish cities of Lappeenranta and Lahti.
- LUT University’s first English bachelor’s degree program was in Technology and Engineering Science. Students learned various energy technology and environmental, mechanical, and electrical engineering skills in this course.
Did you find this blog informative? If so, please share your thoughts in the comments section below. Click here to contact us for more information on LUT university. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Why attend University College London?
Q1. Is LUT a good university?
Ans- In the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2021 for Engineering, LUT is ranked among the top 400 universities in the world. LUT’s position in September 2020 was 401-500, making it the most sought-after learning destination in the world.
Q2. How long is a student visa in Finland?
Ans- A student visa to Finland is valid for two years. If your study program is less than two years long, your visa will only be valid for the duration of your program.
Q3. Which are the best universities in Finland?
Ans- Listed below are the best universities in Finland-
- The University of Turku.
- The University of Tampere.
- The University of Oulu.
- The University of Eastern Finland.
- University of Jyväskylä
- The Lappeenranta University of Technology.
- Abo Akademi University.
- Hanken School of Economics.