Table of Contents
Since UCL is also London’s Global University, your time here will give you a global perspective that will aid in your understanding of the most pressing global issues. The selection of International students at University College London is based on their talent and potential, regardless of their background. The UCL courses and teaching continuously review to ensure that the most recent discoveries and developments incorporate into programs.
Founded in 1826, University College London, also known as UCL, is a public university. After the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge, it was the third university in England. UCL has campuses in Qatar and Australia in addition to its main campus in the heart of London. UCL also has other kinds of partnerships with universities around the world, including the University of Montreal in Canada and Zhejiang University in China, besides exchange and research agreements.
Around 150 different nations send students to UCL. First-year undergraduates are provided housing on campus. There are three terms in the academic year at UCL, and English is the medium of instruction.
UCL has 11 academic divisions specializing in architecture and planning, as well as arts and humanities, brain sciences, engineering, education, laws, life sciences, mathematical and physical sciences, medical sciences, population health sciences, social and historical sciences, and laws including the Bartlett. Several hospitals and medical facilities affiliate with the university, including the University College Hospital and the Royal National Throat, Nose, and Ear Hospital.
UCL’s main multidisciplinary research domains are neuroscience, personalized medicine, populations, lifelong health, the environment, and eResearch. However, research is done across all academic disciplines. Throughout its history, the university has had notable research achievements. As an illustration, a UCL professor who discovered noble gases, such as neon gas, was awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1904.
Reasons for selecting University College London
1. Postgraduate Courses
The vast array of graduate degree programs offered by University College London provides flexible learning options, enabling you to balance your studies with other obligations in your personal and professional life. All graduate students will also automatically join the Postgraduate Association of Students’ Union at UCL. There are over 500 graduate programs (MA, MSc, MRes) and 140 research graduate programs (MPhil, Ph.D.).
The UCL Careers team can also help you plan your next step after completing your graduate program and make sure you stand out when you start your new career.
Benefits of UCL Careers include
- Appointments one-on-one with a career consultant.
- Customized workshops led by career consultants for graduate, international, and master’s students.
- Employee-led activities.
- Talks on finding and funding a Ph.D. as well as other aspects of career planning and applications.
- Information on open positions as well as a library of career-related resources covering both the UK and abroad.
- Support for work placement.
2. Diversity around the world
The reason University College London is known as London’s Global University is that 35% of its staff and 53% of its students are from abroad, fostering a multicultural, hospitable environment.
After you enroll at the University, the assistance and support provided to make sure you remain content and at ease in your new surroundings continues. The International Student Team offers a variety of services to aid in your integration, including orientation activities, drop-in sessions, and help with banking, transportation, healthcare, and other day-to-day needs.
Architecture BSc at University College London
A renowned architecture school with a long history of invention and creativity is the Bartlett School of Architecture at the University College London. For the last 17 years, the Architects’ Journal AJ100 has named it the best school of architecture, and the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020 named it the best university in the UK for studying and researching architecture and the built environment.
- Most of the curriculum is taught through individual design projects, and the program is based in the studio. The majority of design instruction is given in weekly one-on-one or small-group tutorial sessions with frequent review sessions with tutors, many of whom are also active architects. In lectures, seminars, and workshops, core modules in history and theory, professional studies, and technology support the design work.
- In order to help students develop an independent, inventive, exploratory, and rigorous approach to design, the architecture BSc program offers a broad and diverse range of experiences.
- Students must complete a number of individual modules, typically worth 15 or 30 credits each, for a total of 120 credits in each degree-granting year. The academic year in which a module is taken is when it is evaluated. Depending on the program and the year, different modules may be required. In the European Credit Transfer System, a 30-credit module is equivalent to 15 credits (ECTS)
- According to the QS World University Rankings for 2022, University College London is currently ranked eighth in the world, fourth in the UK, fourth in Europe, and with a global reputation for academic excellence.
- The UCL Institute of Education, which has been ranked first in the world for education for the past eight years, and The Bartlett, UCL’s Faculty of the Built Environment, which is second in the world for the study of architecture and the built environment, are two other notable highlights of the university.
- Archaeology (3rd), Geography (9th), Life Sciences and Medicine (10th), Anatomy and Physiology (7th), Anthropology (6th), Pharmacy and Pharmacology (7th), and Psychology (10th) are other University College London majors that made the QS global top 10.
Liked this blog? Read next: An introduction to University College Cork
Q1. Is admission to University College London difficult?
Answer- Meeting the minimum entry requirements does not guarantee admission to UCL because admission is competitive. Please be aware that some departments may demand grades that are higher.
Q2. Is University College London a reputable university?
Answer- The Best Global Universities list has University College London at position 16. Schools are rated based on how well they perform according to a set of generally recognized indicators of excellence.
Q3. What is the reputation of University College London?
Answer- A multidisciplinary university, UCL has centers of excellence for teaching in fields like medicine, languages, law, engineering, history, and astrophysics.