Table of Contents
The field of Biomedical Engineering (BME) is fast gaining popularity for its scope. The employment opportunities and job outlook for bioengineers are projected to grow by 6% between 2020 and 2030.
But what does the field of biomedical engineering entail and what do biomedical engineers do? Let’s read a bit more about this field before we dive into the top colleges!
What is biomedical engineering?
In simple terms, biomedical engineering uses the principles and problem-solving techniques of engineering to biology and medicine. Biomedical engineers and bioengineers combine several engineering principles with biology and medicine to create and design the following-
- Computer Systems
All bioengineered products such as these find several useful applications in the healthcare industry. BME is a unique and interdisciplinary field that allows students to solve biological and medical complications.
These engineers combine analysis and design to create systems, devices, and software that can streamline the diagnosis, monitoring, therapy, and recovery process. Some of the most prominent breakthroughs in the BME field include life-changing technology, such as-
- Pharmaceutical Drugs
- Artificial Organs
- Surgical Devices
With technology advancing at an exponential rate, every new development in engineering and science is being incorporated into the medical field.
The interdisciplinary research and support of biomedical engineering have contributed to an increase in employment opportunities for aspirants. So if you are considering pursuing a qualification in this discipline, choosing the right university is essential.
The United States has several reputed colleges with recognized programs across specializations ranging from Computer Science to Fashion Design. The country is also home to colleges that offer high-quality BME programs.
Discover the 5 best BME colleges in the United States to study at!
5 Best biomedical engineering colleges in the United States
Biomedical engineers need to display excellent analytical and communication skills. The right qualification from a good university can ensure that students are equipped with theoretical knowledge, relevant practical exposure, and an eagerness to grow.
The following 5 BME colleges in the United States offer excellent programs for students to consider-
Johns Hopkins University (Maryland)
- Johns Hopkins University offers a master’s degree in BME. They train students to pursue several careers in vocations such as consulting and research.
- The biomedical engineering program is largely theory-oriented, and aspirants train in each of the traditional disciplines.
- The university also provides students with a unique opportunity to participate in supervised research projects called “thesis track degrees”.
- Another option for students to consider is the MSE degree. This qualification is complete in one year and aspirants specialize in one of the seven focus area options offered (focus areas are specialization courses).
- The focus areas offered by Johns Hopkins University include-
- Genomics & Systems Biology
- Biomedical Data Science
- Translational Cell & Tissue Engineering
- Clinical trainees, residents, and medical students are all automatically eligible for the ‘Artificial Intelligence in Medicine’ focus area.
Duke University (North Carolina)
- Duke University offers a recognized Master of Science program in biomedical engineering. Students are expected to earn 30 credits to receive this qualification.
- One of the benefits of this program is that aspirants can opt for a thesis or non-thesis curriculum.
- Some of the key concentration areas of the biomedical engineering program include-
- Medical Device Design
- Health Data Science
- Biomedical Imaging
- Each concentration area has a faculty research, so students receive the practical developments in the industry.
- Additionally, students who complete the program successfully receive 100% career support with a dedicated cell.
Stanford University (Stanford)
- Stanford University offers several bioengineering programs for aspirants to choose from. These include-
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Biomedical Computation
- Master’s Program in Bioengineering
- Ph.D. in Bioengineering
- Coterminal Program
- The BS program provides aspirants with the opportunity to conduct independent research studies with a faculty research advisor.
- The Master’s program covers several components of the syllabus, including-
- Unrestricted Electives
- Technical Electives
- Bioengineering Courses
- This university offers dual and joint programs as well. These programs are conducted in association with the Standford Schools of Law, Medicine, and Business.
- Students can pursue options such as an MBA/MS dual degree or an MD/Ph.D. degree. This allows dual specialization in biomedical engineering and another field.
The University of Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania)
- The undergraduate BME program offered by The University of Pennsylvania is among the most reputed in the country. The university offers two-degree options to consider-
- Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS)
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering (BSE)
- The BSE program is a traditional program that prepares students for careers in professional engineering. The BAS, on the other hand, is more flexible and permits students to pursue dual degrees. The latter is a popular option for students who are considering careers in law, business, or medicine.
- The BSE degree is accredited by ABET and is a largely BME-focused curriculum.
- The difference between both undergraduate programs lies in the number of engineering courses.
- The BSE program has 16 engineering courses, while the BAS program has 12.
Boston University (Boston)
- Boston University offers the following biomedical engineering programs for aspirants to choose from-
- Bachelor of Science in BME
- Master of Engineering in BME
- Master of Science in BME
- Ph.D. in BME
- The university trains students to design and analyze different physiological measuring and diagnostics systems. This helps obtain a clear understanding of the human body’s normal functions.
- The programs fuse engineering research and practicum with the facilities of an urban research institution.
- Students are encouraged to develop strong interdisciplinary skills.
- The university also emphasizes issues of the following nature-
- Aspirants are trained to use the principles of BME to effectively solve problems in these spheres of human life.
- BME is a growing interdisciplinary field that combines the quantitative analysis of engineering with the design of biology and physiology.
- The applications are made to several organisms at molecular and cellular levels.
- BME is fast growing as an essential component of most medical processes today.
- With advances in technology, it becomes necessary for aspirants to have the right qualifications to contribute to the biomedical engineering industry.
- Pursuing a program from one of the 5 listed universities in the United States can equip students with the foundation and skills they need.
We hope you found this blog informative. Don’t forget to comment below and share your thoughts! You can also get in touch with us if you have any doubts.
Liked this blog? Read: Genetic Engineering | Everything you need to know about this field!
Q1. How many years is a typical Ph.D. program for Biomedical Engineering?
Answer – A typical Ph.D. program can be between 5 to 6 years.
Q2. Are GRE scores required for admission to the Johns Hopkins program?
Answer- No, candidates seeking admission to the Johns Hopkins program do not need to present GRE scores.
Q3. Which program is best for a career as a bioscientist or a researcher?
Answer- An MS program of 1-2 years duration is best for aspirants seeking a career as a bioengineer/bioscientist or a researcher.
See what others are saying
Just want to know whether a mediocre student can opt for biomedical engineering in US? If yes, what are the universities they must target? And what are the requirements to get admission in biotechnology?
One of our counselors will get in touch with you soon!
All the best.
You can also contact us-
Phone +91 9145332283