Table of Contents
Forensic science is also known as Crime Scene Investigation (CSI). Forensic Science Education Programs Accreditation Committee (FSEPAC) conducts graduation and post-graduation degree courses. One of those courses is BSc forensic science. In this article, we will look at the complete information about the course, from subjects to jobs that are available in this industry. Let’s get started.
What is Forensic Science?
You must have seen a forensic scientist in a crime thriller movie or series. In the scene where a person in a white coat comes with his equipment and examines the dead body. It is more interesting than the portrayal in movies.
Forensic Science is the critical analysis element of the criminal justice system. The elements of forensic science are as follows.
- Molecular biology
- Forensic chemistry
- Trace evidence information
- Latent fingerprint examination
- Firearms and tool mark examination
- Handwriting analysis
- Fire and explosives examination
- Forensic toxicology
- Digital evidence
Why should you study forensic science?
Other than your interest in the subject, there are many reasons to pursue a degree in forensic science. This profession never has a boring day. Every case will bring different challenges to you and help you learn countless things. Here are some reasons you should consider forensic science for graduation.
- Social contribution- Forensic scientists can protect the victims with scientific proof. These scientists help to prove if the suspect is a criminal or not.
- Practical overview- The course and the career in forensic science will teach you about the practicality of life. The study of criminal cases will give you another perspective on dealing with the bad elements of society.
- Challenges- Every day in forensic science brings new challenges to you. It tests your analytical skills and presence of mind in handling new cases.
Specialization in forensic science
The B.Sc in forensic science is a 4-year degree program. More than 415 universities in the United States conduct this educational program. There are several specializations in this stream. You can choose the one you find more interesting.
|1||Forensic Psychology||This specialization teaches you how to use psychological principles and methods to solve a criminal case.|
|2||Cyber Forensics||Here, you will learn how to use investigation techniques and specialized tools to collect and store evidence in computer devices.|
|3||Forensic Chemistry||It emphasizes using chemicals to identify unknown substances gathered from the crime scene.|
|4||Forensic Biology||This stream of forensic science teaches how to analyze and collect biological evidence related to the case.|
|5||Forensic Accounting||It trains the students to identify possible financial fraud and analyze information about it.|
Top universities to study BSc in Forensic Science.
As mentioned above, almost 415 institutes in the United States conduct graduation programs in forensic science. We have arranged some top universities in the country by their rank. Let’s take a look at them.
|No.||University||QS world university rank|
|1||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||1|
|5||University of California- Berkeley||32|
|6||New York University||42|
|7||The University of Southern California||112|
|9||Texas A&M University||168|
Documents required for admission
You can apply for the course online on the official website of the university you want to enroll. You will need to submit a few documents with your application. Here’s the list of documents for international students.
- A transcript of your secondary school or college education with grades in English.
- An essay in English.
- A guidance counselor recommendation form
- TOFEL certificate with a minimum score of 79-213 or IELTS certificate with a minimum score of 6.5 as proof of fluency in English
- Proof of available funds to cover the expenses for the first year
- A copy of the biographical page of your passport
- International Student Clearance Form
Subjects in B.Sc in forensic science
The B.Sc in forensic science contains subjects related to different aspects of the field. They are as follows.
|The US criminal justice system||Forensic serology|
|Crime scene investigation||Criminal evidence and procedure|
|Laboratory measurements and techniques||Physiology|
Job opportunities in forensic science
The B.Sc in forensic science will open the door to different job opportunities for you. You can apply for the jobs as soon as you graduate. Let’s take a look at some of them.
|No.||Job designation||Salary per annum $|
|1||Toxicologist||93,000 to 16,000|
|2||Information Security Engineer||89,000 to 127,00|
|3||QC Microbiologist Scientist||51,000 to 75,000|
|4||Cyber Consultant||53,000 to 88,000|
|5||Criminalist Supervisor||49,000 to 70,000|
|6||Lap Analyst||46,000 to 70,000|
- The B.Sc in forensic science course contains a comprehensive study of the field. You can choose to specialize in one category for further studies.
- You can even pursue an associate or diploma course in forensic science.
- This course will help you turn your interest in criminal cases into a full-fledged career.
We hope you find this article helpful. Write to us your comments. Click here to read more such articles.
Liked this blog? Read next: Science stream subjects you should know about
Q1. Is NEET required for the admission of B.Sc in forensic science in India?
Answer: No, you don’t need NEET for the admissions of B.Sc in forensic science in India.
Q2. Is mathematics compulsory for B.Sc in forensic science?
Answer: You can study forensic science without mathematics.
Q3. What is the total fee for B.Sc in forensic science?
Answer: The total fee for B.Sc in forensic science varies from the institution. It can range from $19,000 to $20,000 per annum.