Table of Contents
Cañada College | An overview
Canada College has provided many students with an enriching and life-changing educational opportunities for over 50 years. Students can pursue certificate and degree courses for career training at Cañada College. Students can also apply for a transfer gateway to four-year colleges and universities with the support and guidance of award-winning faculty and staff.
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley, Cañada College offers hundreds of day, evening, and weekend courses in over 40 high-quality educational areas, including science, business, multimedia, medical assisting, the arts, and technical training.
The college offers extensive basic skills training and innovative student support services such as counseling, orientation, certificate and degree planning, transfer assistance, and tutoring.
Founded in 1968, Cañada College is located in Redwood City, California. The college is on 131 acres of land in the city’s western outskirts, alongside the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Cañada College has an open admission policy that allows high school graduates or GED holders to apply.
The ‘bond issue victory’ paved the way for the immediate acquisition of the current College of San Mateo campus and funds for purchasing a 111-acre (45-hectare) site in San Bruno west of Skyline Boulevard and south of Sharp Park Road. In 1962, the third site of 131 acres was purchased west of the Farm Hill subdivision on the Redwood City-Woodside line.
The current San Mateo campus opened in 1963, followed by Cañada College in 1968 and Skyline College, San Bruno, in 1969. Cañada and Skyline were built in large part with funds from a second bond issue of $12.8 million, which district voters approved in March 1964.
The architects and builders completed Cañada’s educational and architectural planning in 1964-66, with the theory that the design of the first phase for at least 2,000 students should be to allow for the eventual expansion to 8,000-day students. Grading the site began in 1966, and awarding the contract for building construction began in April 1967. In September 1968, the college started its first classes for 2,000 students.
Over 6000 students from various backgrounds attend the college, which provides a high-quality education. Cañada College is proud of its internationally recognized courses, which include Business, Art, Engineering, Fashion Design, and Political Science. It offers a personalized learning environment, financial assistance, and internship opportunities.
Cañada College’s academic structure is semester-based, with a student-faculty ratio of 25:1. Students at this institution can earn degrees and certificates in 23 different fields. Design, Social Sciences, General Studies, Health Professions, Humanities, and Liberal Arts and Sciences are among the most popular programs. The College collaborates with several businesses to provide its students with the best education and hands-on experience possible.
Cañada College offers courses in these study areas
- Biological Sciences
- Business Administration/Management
- Communication Studies
- Computer Business Office Technology
- Computer Science
- Digital Art and Animation
- Earth Science
- Education and Human Development
- Environmental Science and Technology
- Ethnic Studies
- Fashion Design and Merchandising
- General Studies
- Paralegal Studies
- Political Science
- Social Sciences
- Theatre Arts
Rankings and awards
- Canada College ranked 6th among all California Community Colleges by Niche.com. Niche.com rankings are based on nine important evaluation factors.
- USA TODAY College recognizes Cañada College as One of the Top 10 Community Colleges in Northern California – August 3, 2015
Cañada won men’s tennis state championships in 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, and 1993. In 1988, the school won the men’s golf state championship.
The women’s golf team won the Central Conference Championship in 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. In addition, they won the NorCal Championship in 2012 and 2013 and finished third at the state championship in both years.
- Moisés Alou, Major League Baseball player
- Cara Black, author
- Anna Eshoo, U.S. Representative
- Bob Melvin, Major League Baseball player, and manager
- Stevie Nicks, singer-songwriter and part of the music group Fleetwood Mac.
- Harold Reynolds, Major League Baseball player, and MLB Network sports analyst
- Ken Rinaldo is an installation artist working with technology and a professor at Ohio State University.
- Cañada College offers life-changing educational opportunities to students all over the world. Students can choose certificate and degree courses for career training or as a transfer gateway to four-year colleges and universities.
- Opened in 1963, The current campus of the College of San Mateo was followed by Cañada College in 1968 and Skyline College, San Bruno, in 1969. Cañada and Skyline were built in large part with funds from district voters.
- Cañada College provides internationally recognized courses. Business, art, engineering, fashion design, and political science are some of its study areas. It provides many benefits, such as a personalized learning environment, financial assistance, and internship opportunities.
Did you find this blog informative? If so, please share your thoughts in the comments section below. Click here to contact us for more information on Cañada College. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Macquarie University | Rankings, admission, and more
Q1. Is studying in Canada costly??
Ans- The average cost of pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Canada across various disciplines is approximately CAD 30,000 per year, with a range of CAD 12,000 to CAD 30,000.
Q2. Can I work while in college in Canada?
Ans- You have the option of working up to 20 hours per week. You can work more than one job to make up these hours as long as you follow the terms of your study permit.
Q3. Do you need both a student visa and a study permit to study in Canada?
Ans- Your permit allows you to study in Canada, but you may also need a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter the country.