Table of Contents
Computer hardware engineer: What is computer hardware?
Before moving ahead with the details of a computer hardware engineer, let’s see what computer hardware consists of. In a nutshell, computer hardware comprises all the visible components, such as graphics card, CPU, motherboard, etc. Without these components, running the software that smoothens the functioning of the system is impossible.
Design of the computer hardware
The design can be different in terms of patterns between laptops and desktops due to size variations; however, the overall components that go into computer hardware are the same across the devices.
While designing a computer system, having a clear idea about the hardware specifics is essential. This is where a computer hardware engineer comes in. All in all, their job is to enhance computer technology by building advanced hardware components.
Role of a computer hardware engineer
As has been noted, a computer hardware engineer finds the best way to enhance the product. Although they handle a myriad of things concerning a computer system, the following are the primary responsibilities –
- Devising blueprints
- Studying test results
- Adapting designs
- Designing computer hardware
- Testing computer hardware models on trial method
- Updating the current computer equipment
- Supervising the manufacturing process
Generally, computer hardware engineers have a knack for thinking and organizing. In addition to this, they work with a multitude of machines and tools and fix or make practical things.
However, the skills that a computer hardware engineer must possess are as follows –
- Creativity: To be able to come up with new technologies.
- Analytical skills: To study complex systems and additionally find ways for further improvement.
- Problem-solving: To find the issues in the system; most importantly, to come up with the right solution.
- Critical-thinking: Use reason and logic to set goals; in addition to this, investigate the possibility of the assumptions made, and find the strengths and weaknesses of the proposed alternative solutions.
- Communication skills: A computer hardware engineer needs to be good at communication to work with different teams comfortably.
Subjects to learn
During the 3-year undergraduate program in computer hardware engineering, the common subjects taught across institutions are as follows –
- Logic design
- Electronic circuits
- Data structures with c
- Discrete mathematical structures
- Object-oriented programming with c++
- Graphics theory and combinatorics
In addition to these subjects, embedded computing systems, advanced DBMS, and system modeling are also a part of the curriculum.
Top universities for computer hardware engineers
Although a plethora of universities offer courses for computer hardware engineering, the following are the top universities that you should know of –
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Stanford University
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Princeton University
- Boston University
- University of Montreal
- Mcgill University
- University of Ottawa
Once you have shortlisted the universities of your choice, the next step is to prepare a folder with all your documents, such as –
- Transcripts of 10+2 school level education
- Transcripts from your college if you are applying for a master’s program
- Letter of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- Curriculum vitae
- Proof of language proficiency (IELTS, TOEFL, PTE certificate)
- The test scores
Cost of education
Although the cost of education depends on a lot of factors, below are a few factors that play a vital role in this –
- Whether your university is a public or private institution.
- If it’s within a metropolitan city or in a less expensive city or situated in the outskirts.
- The exchange rate of the country you are applying to.
- Whether it is a 3-year bachelor’s program or a master’s program.
In addition to these, you also have the university/college tuition fee, accommodation costs, food, buying utilities, and other miscellaneous costs.
However, the average cost of an undergraduate degree in computer hardware engineering is $45,579. In addition to this, for a postgraduate degree, the cost is $27,747 for international students.
Computer hardware engineer jobs
Following are the most sought after jobs that a computer hardware engineer can apply for –
- Computer programmer
- Information systems manager
- Computer network architect
In addition to these, you can also apply for teaching roles for both private and public universities.
Summarizing the blog –
- As a computer hardware engineer, you will be taking care of the system as a whole.
- Your responsibility will be to develop, test, check components like the CPU, microprocessor, etc.
- There are a lot of universities offering courses on computer hardware engineering.
- Additionally, you can also enroll in certification programs if you want to amp your knowledge.
- As has been noted, computer hardware engineers have excellent careers with good salaries and opportunities.
- So, all in all, it is a good choice if you are interested in learning about the hardware components of computer systems.
For more information, get in touch with us today!
Liked this blog? Then read Biomedical engineering | Top 5 colleges in the USA.
Question 1: Where do computer hardware engineers work?
Answer: A computer hardware engineer has to work in research laboratories to build and test different computers and their in-built hardware systems.
Question 2: Where are computer hardware engineers employed?
Answer: Computer hardware engineers usually work in information technology firms, research, and development firms.
Question 3: What industry-specific skills are required to become a computer hardware engineer?
Answer: All in all, the industry-specific skills required to become a computer hardware engineer are Verilog, C, C++, engineering design, etc.
Question 4: What is the average computer hardware engineer salary?
Answer: The average salary of a computer hardware engineer is as follows –
- Entry level: USD 71,007
- Mid-level: USD 90,748
- Senior: USD 113,337