Table of Contents
- Introduction to post-study work visas
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
- Key takeaways
Introduction to post-study work visas
Indian students are increasingly choosing to study at universities abroad and apply for post-study work visas. Since 2016, major countries around the world have allowed students to return from their home countries and work. A small percentage of countries continue to impose stringent laws and do not allow students to return to work in their countries. One of the most important considerations for applying to universities abroad is the ease of obtaining a post-study work visa for Indian students.
There are many countries where a student can pursue higher education while gaining work experience. Study abroad applications to the United States are 80% higher among Indian students than in other countries. Countries such as Canada and Australia have emerged as equally popular choices. It is because they provide immigration opportunities based on the student’s degree levels. Depending on the student’s qualifications, they can choose between part-time and postgraduate study or full-time work.
These are the countries that offer post-study work visas to Indian students
Australia is among the most popular countries for granting work permits after course completion and welcomes international students. It has become a popular destination for students seeking to further their education and launch their careers. The work visa program in Australia allows students to bring family members. You can obtain a post-study work permit in Australia through the Temporary Graduate Visa.
There are two approaches to this
This visa is for international students who have completed their studies in fields in high demand in Australia. Students can stay for up to 18 months with this visa.
Post-study work visa
This visa is for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian university. Students can stay for 2 to 4 years with this visa based on their qualifications.
- Bachelor’s degree holders- 2 years
- Coursework for master’s degree students- 2 years
- Students with a master’s degree in research- 3 years
- Students with a doctorate (Ph.D.)- Four years
- Health coverage
- An 18-month Graduate Work Visa is available for bachelor’s students.
- IELTS band score of 6.5 with no less than 6 or a PTE band score of 6.5
- Graduates with a master’s or Ph.D. degree can apply for the Post Study Work Visa.
- Students can stay in Australia for 2-4 years, depending on their degree.
- International students must have completed at least two years of academic study in Australia, which could include a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctorate. Diploma holders are ineligible for work visas.
The study permit is unavailable for all job categories or specializations. As a result, students should be cautious when selecting a course.
New Zealand is the place to be if you work in the fields of hospitality, tourism, food science, management, agriculture, and so on. In terms of ranking, New Zealand ranks 12th among the best countries worldwide for granting work permits after studying. Several laws and regulations govern post-study work visas for international students. Students must have completed at least Level 4 of the education qualification framework, if not higher, in New Zealand.
12-month stay back- After completing your studies, you will get a 12-month stay back on your student visa.
Work permit for two years- This may vary depending on your qualifications, associated institution, or whether you intend to pursue occupational registration in New Zealand.
- A post-study work visa is available to those with Level 4-6 educational qualifications.
- Students must have completed a minimum of 60 weeks of study. Perhaps even more!
- Students may also have completed two courses that lasted at least 30 weeks.
- Students who are English Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) are not on this list.
However, there are provisions for international students to obtain a longer post-study work visa if they meet the following criteria-
- Continue with another course until it is completed.
- This course must be at least 30 weeks long.
- It could be at the undergraduate or postgraduate level.
- The course must be of a higher level than the one before it.
Previously, graduates got permission to stay for less than 4-6 months after finishing their studies. The UK government has relaxed regulations for post-study employment visas for international students. In 2019, the government announced a change to their post-study work visa that would allow international students who had graduated from a higher education institution to stay in the UK for up to two years. After that, you can extend your stay by applying for an employer-sponsored program with a Tier 2 work visa.
- 2 years for graduates (starting in 2021)- An employer sponsorship scheme with a Tier 2 work visa can be used to extend the stay.
- Ph.D. students have three years.
- To be eligible for a stay-back period after graduation, you must be enrolled in a recognized UK university beginning in September 2020.
- Those who want to stay in the UK after their PSW visa expires must apply for a skilled work visa or a general work visa (Tier 2 visa).
- To qualify for a Tier 2 or general work visa, the candidate must earn at least £30,000 (INR 26,15,940) per year. This can vary depending on the type of job.
United States of America
The United States is one of the top countries that grant work permits after studying.
The US is famous for its high-quality education and fantastic job opportunities after graduation, making it one of the most sought-after and popular study-abroad destinations for students worldwide. Students on an F1 visa are eligible for OPT (Optional Practical Training), which allows them to work in their field of study. Apart from that, students can convert their F1 visa to an H1B visa.
- 1 year after your course completion
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) graduates can work for up to three years, with a 24-month special extension after the first year.
- Students with an H1B visa can work in the United States for up to three years, which can be extended to six years.
- To apply for OPT, students must have an F1 visa
- To be eligible for OPT, you must be a full-time student at any institution recognized by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).
- For an H1B visa, the employer must guarantee that the employee receives at least 95% of the prevailing wage.
- The H1B visa is entirely dependent on employment. If a person is fired, the visa is effectively terminated.
Canada is overtaking other countries and becoming the top choice for international students due to friendly immigration policies and a world-class education system accompanied by a robust economy. The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) in Canada allows international students who have graduated from a recognized Canadian university to work in Canada. The work experience gained through the PGWPP can assist graduates in qualifying for permanent residency in Canada via Express Entry. If you are not eligible for the PGWPP, you will be issued work permits, such as Open Work Permits and Employer Specific Work Permits.
The length of a post-graduation work permit is determined by the course length taken.
If the duration of the program was
- If you have been in the country for less than 8 months, you are not eligible for a work permit.
- More than 8 months but less than 2 years- you will be issued a work permit for the course length.
- In some cases, the permit is valid for up to three years.
- You must be at least 18 years old to apply.
- In Canada, at least 8 months of education is required.
- Applicant must complete graduation from a recognized educational institution (DLI)
- Must have valid temporary resident status in Canada.
- Students receiving Global Affairs Canada (GAC) funding or completing less than 50% of their class credits are ineligible.
- A post-study work visa provides extended time to gain global exposure and work experience abroad. Other benefits students can get from these visas are dependent work rights and better income opportunities.
- Post-study work visas offer immigration opportunities based on the student’s degree levels. Students can choose between part-time and postgraduate study or full-time work according to their qualifications.
- Many countries offer a chance for students to pursue higher education while gaining work experience. Canada, Australia, the United States, and the United Kingdom are the countries that offer post-study work visa for Indian students.
Did you find this blog informative? If so, please share your thoughts in the comments section below. Click here to contact us for more information on the post-study work visa for Indian students. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Western University | Rankings, programs, tuition fees, faculties, and more
Q1. Who is eligible for 2 year of post-study visa in the UK?
Ans- International students who complete an undergraduate or master’s degree at a qualifying institution may stay in the UK to work or look for work for two years after completing their studies.
Q2. How do I apply for a post-study visa in the UK?
Ans- While in the UK, complete and submit the Graduate visa application form online. Pay the PSW application fee (£715) and the immigration healthcare surcharge of £624 per person per year. Upload any documents needed to support your application, such as your passport.
Q3. How long does it take to get a post-study visa in the UK?
Ans- After you’ve applied online, verified your identity, and submitted your documents, you will receive a decision on your visa within 8 weeks. You can remain in the United Kingdom while you await a decision.