Table of Contents
- Here are five reasons to work in Singapore
- What is a Singapore permanent residence visa?
- Who can apply for Singapore permanent residency?
- How to apply for Singapore permanent residency?
- Documents you need to apply for Singapore permanent residency
- How long will it take for the Singapore PR application to be processed?
- Key takeaways
According to a recent government survey, nine out of ten foreign workers have great job satisfaction in Singapore. Singapore ranks first for various criteria, including the best intellectual property protection laws and the easiest country to do business. It is also recognized for its overall quality of life and high educational standards. A permanent residency in Singapore looks like the best option.
Here are five reasons to work in Singapore
The reasons below will motivate you to apply for permanent residency in Singapore.
- Singapore has the world’s second most globalized economy.
- It offers a progressive personal tax system.
- You can open businesses easily.
- Singapore has low crime rates and zero corruption.
- It offers excellent political stability.
What is a Singapore permanent residence visa?
Singapore Permanent Residence (PR) is a permanent visa that allows foreign professionals, certain types of investors, and family members of Singapore Permanent Residents or Singapore citizens to work and live permanently in Singapore.
Besides the opportunity to reside permanently in Singapore and the freedom to travel in and out of the country, there are other benefits, such as healthcare and education subsidies, a pension scheme plan for retirement, and so on.
Who can apply for Singapore permanent residency?
To be eligible for Singapore PR applications, you must fall into one of the following categories-
The Professional Technical or Skilled Workers scheme (PTS)
This Singapore permanent residency scheme is for foreign technical personnel and skilled workers, professionals, entrepreneurs, and business owners currently employed in Singapore on a work permit (E.g., Employment Pass, Entrepass, PEP, Tech Pass).
Singapore PR Scheme for Investors
This is the Global Investor Program or GIP investment visa scheme, which is also another way to apply for Singapore PR. Under this scheme, a person may apply for PR for themselves and their family members by investing a minimum of $2.5 million in Singapore through one of several options. Investors currently have two options to choose from-
Option 1- Invest $2.5 million in a new or startup business or expand an existing business enterprise.
Option 2- Invest $2.5 million in a GIP-approved fund.
Apart from investing the bare minimum, you must also meet minimum criteria such as entrepreneurial background, a business proposal and investment plan, and a good business track record.
Family Sponsor Scheme- PR application for the spouse of a Singapore PR or citizen
Permanent residents are encouraged to apply for permanent residency for their spouses and children. However, it is essential to note that you must send your sons to the National Service before applying for PR for them. If you are a Singapore PR, you can also apply for PR for your elderly parents.
Singapore PR Scheme for Foreign Artistic Talent Program
The country’s art scene has grown rapidly in recent years. In keeping with the country’s goal of becoming a regional arts hub, Singapore is attempting to open its doors to foreign artistic talent seeking permanent residency. Individuals with music, dance, photography, theatre, film, or literature skills may apply through the Foreign Artistic Talent scheme.
How to apply for Singapore permanent residency?
The organization in charge of processing Singapore PR applications is the Immigration and Checkpoint Authorities (ICA) of Singapore. You must fill out and apply online.
Documents you need to apply for Singapore permanent residency
- Copies of your (valid) passport’s personal information pages
- Make a copy of your immigration document.
- A copy of your identification (if applicable).
- If applicable, a certificate of change of name or a deed poll.
- Copies of your highest level of education certificates. All higher education certifications must be included.
- A passport-sized digital photo that meets Singapore photo requirements.
- A signed declaration form can be found on the eService. Before uploading, you must first download, print, and sign it.
If you are working and applying for PR as an EP or S Pass holder
- A letter from your employer outlining your position, salary, and start date.
- Pay receipts from the previous six months
- Testimonials from previous employers stating your position, duration of employment, and most recent salary (EP/S Pass applicants only)
- If you are self-employed, provide a valid Business Registration Certificate displaying all business partners’ names and any occupational licenses.
For spouses and children
- Official marriage certificate
- Children’s birth certificates or adoption papers, if applicable.
- If applicable, custody papers for children from previous marriages.
- If applicable, a death certificate or marriage certificate from a previous marriage.
- A birth certificate or household census that includes the names of both parents.
Please keep in mind that you must upload all the documents in English.
How long will it take for the Singapore PR application to be processed?
Your Singapore PR application process will take four to six months. Some applications may take longer to process, depending on the circumstances and whether you have all the required documents.
During this time, you can use eService to check the status of your application.
If your application is accepted, you will receive a letter informing you of the decision and instructions on how to proceed. You must schedule an appointment online to visit the Permanent Resident Services Centre in Singapore and receive your ID Card.
You will also need to bring hard copies of the documents you uploaded online and pay any additional fees.
- Many reasons attract you to apply for Singapore permanent residency, such as great salary packages, job satisfaction, quality of life, and more.
- You must fill out and send your application to the ICA through an online process.
- Make sure to upload all the necessary documents per your permanent resident scheme. Do not miss downloading the application, signing it, and then uploading it online.
Did you find this blog helpful? If so, please share your thoughts in the comments section below. Click here to contact us for more information on permanent residency in Singapore. We would be delighted to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Singapore Management University – courses, fees, and more!
Q1. Is it easy to get Singapore PR?
Answer- The PTS scheme is the quickest and most secure way to obtain PR in Singapore.
Q2. How much does it cost to apply for Singapore PR?
Answer- Each PR applicant must pay a total of $120 in fees.
Q3. Can you lose PR in Singapore?
Answer- You will lose your permanent residence status if you leave Singapore or remain abroad without a valid REP.