Table of Contents
- 13 frequently asked questions for event planners
- Q1. What event planning exactly is?
- Q2. What does an event planner do?
- Q3. What skills should an event planner have?
- Q4. What are the different event planning professions that one can opt for?
- Q5. What program should I enroll in to study event management?
- Q6. What subjects will I be taught in my event management program?
- Q7. What are some top universities for event management courses?
- Q8. What are the application requirements for an event planning course?
- Q9. How much does it cost to get a degree in event management?
- Q10. What is the average salary of an event planner or manager?
- Q11. What does a day in the life of an event planner look like?
- Q12. What are some of the challenges of a career as an event planner?
- Q13. Can I be an event planner with zero professional or educational experience?
- What’s more?
Many of you might have organized an event, either a birthday or your parent’s anniversary or been to a large–scale event that probably needed the expertise and resources of a professional event manager. In addition, film buffs who have seen movies like The Wedding Planner, or 27 Dresses would probably have wondered that the career of an event planner seems fun. Indeed, it is a dynamic profession, but it is also not so simple. So, before you decide to invest money in an event management degree or start sending out your resumes for various job openings, here are a few frequently asked questions for event planners that you need to read through to get an idea of what you are planning to get into.
13 frequently asked questions for event planners
Q1. What event planning exactly is?
Event planning is the method by which a project such as a ceremony, meeting, tradeshow, and so on, is managed by skilled event planners. The nature of the management generally include-
- Liaising with vendors
- Setting timelines
- Charting out a budget
- Scouting event sites
- Obtaining permits
- Planning food and lodging for event invitees
- Arranging transportation
- Selecting a theme
- Planning various activities
However, these are only some of the tasks of event planning. All in all, it includes everything under the sun needed to make an event successful.
Q2. What does an event planner do?
An event planner coordinates with all aspects of the event to make it successful. The various responsibilities of an event planner include the following-
- Meeting with clients to comprehend the nature and intent of the event.
- Devising a plan of action for the event in terms of the date, location, and the expenses.
- Communicate with service providers and agree at an affordable price for their services such as photographers, florists, equipment suppliers, bakers, and technicians.
- Coordinate with the client at all times and decide on the event’s location.
- Arrange for event services such as food, transportation, and rooms.
- Coordinate with on-site staff to ensure everything is progressing as per the plan.
- Lastly, review invoices and disburse payments.
Q3. What skills should an event planner have?
Event planning is a challenging and driven profession that will involve a genuine knack for organizing events. In order to be good at your profession, you will need to have a few skillsets that can either be inherent or learned while you are enrolled in a college or university or on the job as a trainee. Some of these skills are as below-
- Ability to organize
- Knack for networking
- Understanding of events
- Client-centric approach
- Ability to negotiate and arrive at an affordable budget
- Drive to get things done on time
- Go-getter attitude
Q4. What are the different event planning professions that one can opt for?
Event planning or event management is an umbrella term for many types of careers included under it. The following are the job profiles in this industry-
- Event Planner
- Venue Manager
- Wedding Planner
- Catering Services Manager
- Social Media Event Coordinator
- Sponsorship Coordinator
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Communications or Marketing Manager
Q5. What program should I enroll in to study event management?
In order to pursue a career in event management, you can enroll yourself in any of these programs offered across universities depending on your finances, the amount of time you can devote to the programs and the availability at your preferred institute.
- Undergraduate courses in Event Management -3 or 4-year program
- Post-graduate courses in Event Management- 1 or 2 year program
- Diploma in Event Management- Usually 1-year program
- Bachelor/Master/Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication
Q6. What subjects will I be taught in my event management program?
When you enroll yourself for an event management program, you will be taught several exciting and fun subjects, such as-
- Business communication
- Management process
- Event management planning
- Advertising management for services
- Brand management
- Grooming and personality development
- Spoken and communication abilities
- Risk management
- Advertising and Public Relations
- Qualitative techniques
- Concept and design
Q7. What are some top universities for event management courses?
The following are a few universities you can browse through from around the world and decide on an event management program.
- British and Irish Modern Music Institute, UK
- CDI College, Canada
- New York University, USA
- La Trobe University, Australia
- Llandrillo College, UK
- University of Central Florida, USA
- Iowa State University, USA
- Australian Catholic University, Australia
- Cornwall College, UK
- University of Technology Sydney, Sydney
- Singapore Institute of Management, Singapore
- University of Derby, UK
Q8. What are the application requirements for an event planning course?
Depending on the college and the country you are applying to, the application requirements vary slightly. However, some of the commonly asked documents at the time of registration and application are-
- 10+2 school level certificates
- Bachelor’s degree and mark sheet if you are applying for a postgraduate degree
- Letter of recommendation
- Updated resume
- Statement of purpose (in case you are applying for a scholarship, you might need to submit two statements of purpose)
- IELTS, TOEFL, GRE scores
Q9. How much does it cost to get a degree in event management?
If you are applying for a bachelor’s degree in event management, it can cost you between $28,380- $40,350 approximately. On the other hand, if you intend to apply for a master’s program, it can cost you between $57,916- $28,644 approximately.
Q10. What is the average salary of an event planner or manager?
The average salary of experienced event planners can be around $44,672 per annum.
Q11. What does a day in the life of an event planner look like?
A typical day as an event planner can begin at 7 am and end late by11 pm or 12 am. You will need to oversee the entire project from start to finish. Therefore, you need to constantly take updates, meet with the client daily to gauge if everything is happening as per their satisfaction, agree on budgets, approve payments, ideate on the spot in case something does not happen according to the initial plans. All in all, you need to make sure that the entire process is smooth.
Q12. What are some of the challenges of a career as an event planner?
Some challenges in the life of an event planner are that you will need to keep your schedule flexible at all times. You might need to work 72 hours continuously to get things done. You also need to be in the best of health to be in a physically as well as mentally taxing profession for months and years. Moreover, you might have to stay away from your family and loved ones for days, sometimes even weeks or months, planning and organizing an event.
Q13. Can I be an event planner with zero professional or educational experience?
Without a quality portfolio or educational degree, you will not get well-paying clients who will be willing to invest their time and money behind you to organize their most important event. So, you should either get a degree or diploma in event management or gain practical experience as an intern or trainee to strengthen your profile.
Skilled at balancing multiple responsibilities while tasked with bringing visions to reality, an event planner always makes events easier. As an event planner, you must also be a multitasker with flawless attention to detail. Additionally, you must have the ability to manage risks and unforeseen events. Skills can always be honed, however, the interest must be there. If you’re an explorer, a career as an event planner will do wonders for you!
That’s all we have for you in this blog! If you have any questions/suggestions, feel free to reach out to us or drop a comment below!
Liked this blog? Read next: Fine art photography | A quick guide about the art form