Table of Contents
D. Devaraj Urs foreign scholarship scheme | Introduction
The D. Devaraj Urs Foreign Scholarship Scheme is named in honor of the transformative leader and former Chief Minister of Karnataka, India, D. Devaraj Urs. He believed that in a world where education can be the greatest catalyst for change, financial constraints should never stand in the way of a bright student’s dream.
The Karnataka State Government has launched this scholarship program with the aim of empowering students from other backward classes (OBC). The state government awards this program to approximately 100 students each academic year, providing Rs. 10 lakhs annually. Continue reading to find out everything there is to know about the D. Devaraj Urs scholarship.
The scholarships will be available to students undertaking post-graduation courses (for a two-year period) and Ph.D. programs (for a three-year period) abroad.
Eligibility criteria stipulate that applicants should belong to categories 1, 2A, 3A, or 3B, with an annual income not exceeding Rs. 6 lahks. Additionally, candidates should be under the age of 35 and have secured a minimum of 60 percent marks in their previous studies.
The distribution of scholarships will see 24 beneficiaries from category 1, 46 from category 2A, 14 from category 3A, and 16 from category 3B.
- Applicants must provide detailed information about the foreign study program they plan to undertake. This includes the start date, duration, and name of the course, along with any details related to entrance examinations, student assessments, and higher study examinations. Applicants must also clearly state the costs associated with the program. These include entrance fees, tuition fees, health insurance, meals, and accommodation.
- It is mandatory for each student pursuing higher studies abroad to have a valid passport and obtain the appropriate visa for the intended country of study.
- Parents or guardians of the student must submit proof of their annual income, including tax payment evidence. If employed, a copy of a one-year salary certificate is required.
- The student must have a bank account with a nationalized bank. They are required to provide detailed information from the passbook. This includes the name of the bank, branch name, account number, and the IFSC code details.
- Students who plan to travel abroad for higher education are required to submit copies of their flight tickets and boarding passes.
- In the event a student discontinues their education partway through, a formal letter in the prescribed format is required. This letter is to ensure the repayment of funds granted for foreign study by the Backward Classes Welfare Department, including a fee of Rs. 200 and any associated interest.
D Devaraj Urs Foreign scholarship application process involves three stages:
Step 1: Online Submission: The student initiates the process by submitting an application online.
Step 2: Document Verification: The next step requires the student to visit the office of the respective Backward Classes Welfare Officers for verification of original documents. Additionally, the authorities will also conduct a home visit for location verification.
Step 3: Interview: The final stage of the process involves an interview conducted under the presidency of the General Secretary.
- The D Devaraj Urs Foreign Scholarship aims to aid financially constrained students from other backward classes (OBC) in pursuing higher education abroad.
- Every academic year, 100 students receive support from the scholarship, which the Karnataka State Government funds with Rs. 10 lahks per recipient.
- Applicants that are eligible are those that are undertaking post-graduate or Ph.D. programs abroad, that belong to specific categories, that have an annual income below Rs. 6 lahks, that are under 35 years of age, and that have scored a minimum of 60%.
- Application requirements include detailed information about the study program, a valid passport, visa, proof of parents’ income, bank account details.
- The application process includes online submission, document verification by the respective Backward Classes Welfare Officers, a home visit, and a final interview under the presidency of the General Secretary.
Don’t stop here; there’s a lot more to explore! We invite you to dive deeper into the world of education, scholarships, and study-abroad opportunities. Check out our other insightful blogs on iSchool Connect, where we cover a wide range of topics to help you succeed in your academic journey. Click here to discover more!
Liked this blog? Read next: Thompson Rivers University MBA fees | A detailed guide
1: Is there any bond or agreement I need to sign before accepting the D. Devaraj Urs scholarship?
Ans: Specific terms and conditions may apply to the scholarship, including obligations for beneficiaries. For detailed information, please refer to the official scholarship announcement or guidelines.
2: Can I avail of the D. Devaraj Urs Foreign Scholarship along with another scholarship?
Ans: This may depend on the terms and conditions of both scholarships. It’s recommended to check the guidelines of each scholarship, or consult with the respective scholarship authorities for clarity
3: Are students from other states in India eligible for the D. Devaraj Urs Foreign Scholarship Scheme?
Ans: No, the D. Devaraj Urs Backward Classes Scholarship is only available for students from the Indian state of Karnataka.