Table of Contents
While the glamorous side of the industry is dominated by fashion designers and models, the business side is managed by those who manage fashion brands and are responsible for the seamless operation of the industry. The fashion business has been around for decades and has been constantly changing with time. It has now evolved to be a multibillion-dollar industry. Fashion Brands and Labels, whether small or large, are the backbone of this billion-dollar business. Check out the blog to know more about the fashion management courses and how to get started –
What is fashion management?
Students who are new to the fashion industry often have queries about what is fashion management. To address this, one must first recognize that fashion is a broad topic that encompasses everything from the glamor of the industry to the business operations behind the camera.
Apart from the glamor, the people who manage various aspects of fashion management play a crucial role in managing tasks and ensuring functionality.
The scope of work further includes knowledge of marketing, sales, purchasing, and inventory management. This results in a comprehensive grasp of how the fashion business operates.
What does fashion management teach?
The fashion management course will teach you about the business and operations of the fashion industry. Simply put, fashion management courses will provide you with a broad grasp of how the fashion business operates from the inside out.
Here’s what the fashion management front can teach you-
- Brand building
- Business management
- Retail management
- Design development
- Apparel & quality management
- Fashion design process & design development
- Fashion forecasting
- Consumer behavior
It is important to note that fashion management can also go way deeper than this.
You will receive comprehensive training in sourcing, merchandising, retailing, forecasting, worldwide marketing, international business practices, and venture design.
Through field trips and internships, you will further be exposed to creative merchanting / marketing, progressive management approaches, information technology advancement, trend directions, and company operations.
The purpose of this fashion management program is to strengthen leadership and management skills in the management, marketing, merchandise sales, and retail sectors, which are specially adapted to the needs of clothing, fashion, and lifestyle experts.
After finishing the course, you will have the correct mix of hard and soft skills.
Master’s in Fashion Management (MFM) course syllabus
- Basics of fashion
- Process of garment manufacturing
- Fashion design process
- Fashion styling and photography
- Fashion finance & economics
- Logistics and resource management
- Fashion communication
- Lifestyle journalism
- Consumer behavior
- Research methodology
- Fundamentals of entrepreneurship
- Communication skills, grooming, and etiquette
- Visual merchandising and Video display
- Industry internship
- Fashion event management
- Master’s project management
Fashion management books
Here are some of the fashion management books that you can refer to while studying for the course –
- Pattern making for pattern design – Armstrong and Joseph H.
- Fashion buying – Helen Goworek, Blackwell Science
- Elements of design and apparel design – Sumanth. G.
- Fashion writing and criticism: History, Theory, and practice: Peter McNeil, and Sanda Miller
- Design and Analysis of the Experiments – Montgomery, Douglas C
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship – Drucker, Peter
Below are the fashion management jobs that you can opt for-
- Fashion Stylist
- Merchandising Manager
- Brand Manager
- Creative Director
- E-commerce Manager
Needless to say, as the scope for fashion management increases, so will the possibility for more opportunities.
The universities that offer the fashion management course
Check out the following universities for the best fashion management courses in the world–
- Nottingham Trent University, England
- The New School, New York City
- Fanshawe College, Ontario, Canada
- Accademia del Lusso School of Fashion and Design, Italy
- Hochschule Fresenius – University of Applied sciences, Germany
- Manchester Metropolitan University, England
- SKEMA business school, France
- UIBS Metropolitan Business School, Netherlands
What we have to say
- While understanding the ins and outs of the course is key, it’s also crucial to know your customers and be able to advertise the current trends in a way that they can grasp.
- A fashion management course will also teach you how to do market research, and analyze the elements that drive customer behavior. The course will also help to create efficient promotional and advertising strategies.
- With the fashion scenario growing faster than ever, the courses, as well as opportunities, also continue to grow. This makes the fashion management course all the more desirable and rewarding.
Liked the blog? Comment below and share your thoughts with us!
Liked this blog? Read next: Top 5 fashion courses list for 2022 | Which one to choose?
Q1. Can a fashion management course be done in an online mode?
Answer – Yes, there are multiple certificates and diploma courses that can be done on an online basis.
Q2. Which country is the best for a Master’s in Fashion Management?
Answer – Milan, Italy is considered to be the best for a Master’s degree in Fashion Management.
Q3. Is an MFM degree equivalent to an MBA degree?
Answer – No, the MFM degree is not equivalent to an MBA degree due to the differences in the syllabus of both courses.